Preview Western Bulldogs vs Essendon, Docklands, Sunday 08/04/18 @ 3:20 PM

Chicken Dinner?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Green is the perfect depth small forward. Ply him when either Raz or Walla are out but play him in the reserves when they're fit.

Shock horror, he's no Cyril. Small forwards are meant to be selfish imo. They're there to crumb the ball and kick goals. Sure, they're also there to provide pressure and try to lock the ball in when they don't have it and he could be better at that but he's alright. It does get frustrating watching him chase and continually get to the man a step too late though. Things to improve.
I'm not expecting him to be Cyril, it's the intent to tackle, AMT has it, Fanta has it, they chase and harass and take pleasure in a run down tackle for the team. Josh doesn't have that and if he hasn't improved it by this stage of his career i'm sorry to say it ain't happening. We have enough natural goal kickers in our forward line that if you can't provide that pressure then you are surplus to our needs IMO.

I'm not expecting him to be Cyril
Then maybe don't compare him to Cyril in an attempt to highlight/exaggerate his deficiencies?

it's the intent to tackle, AMT has it, Fanta has it, they chase and harass and take pleasure in a run down tackle for the team. Josh doesn't have that
KwpUEJj.gif

:think:

I'm not expecting him to be Cyril, it's the intent to tackle, AMT has it, Fanta has it, they chase and harass and take pleasure in a run down tackle for the team. Josh doesn't have that and if he hasn't improved it by this stage of his career i'm sorry to say it ain't happening. We have enough natural goal kickers in our forward line that if you can't provide that pressure then you are surplus to our needs IMO.

think we proved last year our forward line was only as good as the sum of its parts.

it had some kind of symmetry that Green was a part of. Don't really know what it is or was that Green brought to it, but when he was out, the dynamic failed and it misfired. (think it was the week Laverde came in to his role)

Don't over think it, think of the team fwd line, not just greens output

From who? All I've seen and heard is people heaping praise on him. Example:

Plays pretty much the worst game of his career ("semi-off night, not a poor game") and they can't stop telling him how much of a star he is.
Haven't heard him mentioned anywhere else this week, except by Lloyd who is only talking about his goalkicking.
Where's all this negative press? I'd love there to be some.

He's had a shit two weeks.

Not that he's in any danger of being dropped any time soon, he's a 200cm mobile forward who can tear the arse out of games - but he'd want to perform sooner rather than later.

Out of all our forwards on the weekend I thought Green put on the most pressure, looks to be improving that side of his game

Out of all our forwards on the weekend I thought Green put on the most pressure, looks to be improving that side of his game
I did mention in the original post that started this Green bashing that I highly doubt he will be dropped for next week as he was our most dangerous forward.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You said he doesn't 'have it'. All I've done is show you that's not true.
Not really.... you have highlighted one good tackle in a career spanning 8 years. Consistency in intent for a good small forward isn't a one off act, it's repetitive behaviour. He doesn't 'have it'.

In addition to that, other mid/small forward that apply little pressure also have other strings to their bow such as ability in the air to mark the football, he also doesn't have that *.

*Waits for GIF of Green taking a mark to prove he's the messiah.

To win this game, we need less of this.....

f9cb283eae95f37d5dfceadb0665a344

and more of this..

9a82c1c1b20df32e62709ff8e38e82b9

Notice that Fremantle plays Hamling to come in as a 3rd man and smack Daniher each time we play them. These photos were from 2017. Notice that despite Daniher ducking, he still cops it in the back of the head. As he did last weekend. Joe would have been a lot better going for the mark. Steven May from Gold Coast and Grundy from Sydney do similar against Joe.

9f11ea1792c879b39b93eeb3003d1ba0

Last edited:
What’s that got to do with his pressure which you claim he doesn’t give?
How are you assessing he applied the most pressure of our forwards? He had a decent game with 4 tackles, good on him.

The previous week he laid 2 tackles which IMO isn't good enough for a small forward.

I don't see him as a long term solution and agree with poster above he is the perfect depth small forward.

How are you assessing he applied the most pressure of our forwards? He had a decent game with 4 tackles, good on him.

The previous week he laid 2 tackles which IMO isn't good enough for a small forward.

I don't see him as a long term solution and agree with poster above he is the perfect depth small forward.

He gets zero tackles if we are running a super efficient forward line

Not really.... you have highlighted one good tackle in a career spanning 8 years. Consistency in intent for a good small forward isn't a one off act, it's repetitive behaviour. He doesn't 'have it'.
Surely you're not naive enough to think that's the only run down tackle he's ever made? That's one I found with a 3 second google search. I'm not about to go and try to hunt down every bit of footage of one because a) I don't have time and b) I don't need to to prove that what you've said about him not having 'the intent to tackle' is blatantly false. Of course consistency is important. These are things all players constantly work on throughout their careers except the freaks like Cyril who just rock up and do it. Once again, he's not Cyril and we don't need him nor expect him to be.

In addition to that other mid/small forward that apply little pressure also have other strings to their bow such as ability in the air to mark the football, he also doesn't have that *.

*Waits for GIF of Green taking a mark to prove he's the messiah.
I've never tried to say he's the messiah. There's no need to overreact.

Surely you're not naive enough to think that's the only run down tackle he's ever made? That's one I found with a 3 second google search. I'm not about to go and try to hunt down every bit of footage of one because a) I don't have time and b) I don't need to to prove that what you've said about him not having 'the intent to tackle' is blatantly false. Of course consistency is important. These are things all players constantly work on throughout their careers except the freaks like Cyril who just rock up and do it. Once again, he's not Cyril and we don't need him nor expect him to be.

I've never tried to say he's the messiah. There's no need to overreact.
You're accusing me of naivety yet you providing one GIF of Josh making a tackle with intent proves that my whole assertion is completely false? Rightio fella

I would also contest the fact after 37,000 posts on this forum that you don't have the time to search for the rest of Josh's tackles...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back