Western Region Football League Team (Part 2)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Moonie,

Come on they are a club that works there ring off to make ends meet. They don't go out and create an envoironment that keeps people away from football. Think about this Moonie you go anywhere in Melbourne and speak about Western Region football and there response is "who are you guys, oh thats right your the comp that people don't want to play in because there's no control" The quicker people's attitude get right the better off we will be. I'm all for friendly jibes on this forum but the term's used like Spotty Dogs etc are not called for. Its people like that that make it impossible to rid this league snipers whether its on the field or off. Wake up everyone we are the one's with a crap reputation so take responsibility for it do something about it. Some comments on this forum reflect a poor attitiude when it comes to local football. Do we want to grow the game or turn it into an area that you have stand with your backs to the wall after a game. Wake up otherwise the game that we have will go.
That's my take

I second that. although i don't think in division one much sniping goes on. not many reports this year either.

top 3 spot is gone now, i don't think finals is out of the picture as yet. the last 4 are all must win games. spotty and stalbans mainly. even 3/4 we could push for 5th. Albion were good on the weekend and made a mess of our costly mistakes. blake richards was good all day. and i would say zavarlos got the better of mentha.
m.davis needs to have a run with leigh this week i think.

kegs i commend you that is the best post by an Altona person i have read and everything you have stated is exactly what i have been trying to put across. I am not an Altona hater, in fact i have a soft spot for them and just to to be realistic in where I think they are at and where they need to improve.

Good post though and i hope the club can live up to the expectations that some have placed upon it.

Also is there any truth in the fact that Altona is looking at bringing an old Viking back in Bobby Evans. Heard a whisper that he is coming back to Altona next year to take on a coaching role?

Thanks mate lol, i very rarely post on here but regularly read whats said on here, and lets hope Altona can improve in there near future.

Ummm havent heard anything about Bobby Evans coming back to coach next year so cant help you there.

All Bubbsta,

I am not concerned or jealous Curry Man. I like to see other teams up there. Some time ago I proposed a super league in Divsion One to Divi five this is the only way to go and everybody answer's to a professional new body call it what you like. Seriously the eveness of the comp is in a dreadful state of affairs....is it good for footy? Football Vic need to address this problem now otherwise it impacts on people coming to the football. The north/west region now is massive area. We need to include Riddell District in our plans as well as EDFL amd make it one league. Start planning now I say and get it going by 2011 or 12. You know its embarrassing to see the lack of people watching football, go to a game between two top four sides and you could hold a party there and no one would know that its happening. The absolute lack of volunteers is highlighted when you arrive at match and the commitee's are running around asking for people to carry water etc. I recommend a full review of local football in the nth west area immediatley. Get this right and plan for 2011 and beyond. Anyway Ali back to work mate unless your on the docks

I agree with your ideas ,
but in your other post you said if T cooper leaves albion they would fall over im not so sure
Over the years albion have always been able to go out and buy players maybe not the right players at times was there problem
I think the signing of savalas has been great for the club and looks like there finally getting the right players to the club
I dont beleive albion can win the flag this year without a tall marking forward but i think next year with a couple of recruits they could push spotty & colts

Heard a rumor on the weekend that Sunshine will be looking for a new coach as soon as this week. This will not be for this year but next, as the committee believe that Tocka has taken them as far as he can and will be looking for a replacement. Sunshine have spoke to Tocka about 2 to 3 weeks ago with concerns, he proceeded to ask the playing group on the track if anyone has a problem with him or his coaching and all players didn't mutter a word. Typical.

Lot of talk on here re the gulf in scores in Div 1. A cursory glance at Div 2 scores will see a similar or even worse situation. I have mentioned on here previously that the WRFL should conduct an Open Forum to brainstorm ideas to possibly rectify the problems. Been plenty of good ideas on here with varying degrees of merit and ease on implementation. To my knowledge nothing has happened. Needs to be bigger than just the executive or official club representatives. May even need to employ a professional person or someone from AFL Victoria to lead and at times harness the discussion.

Division One average winning margin on Saturday was 106 points including a Top 6 clash and in Div 2 it was 118 points including an "upset" with Western Magpies defeating Deer Park !!

Something needs to be done as time is fast running out for some clubs.

Not much talk on here about weekends games...

Sunshine all but gone from finals race.. They played with no spirit at all on weekend.. particulalry for a team playing for a finals spot.
Albion should gave won by 80 points.. Which is about the difference between the 2 clubs this year.
Cam Barker another BOG. have to be piling well in the medal..

What about other games, Glenorden pushed St Albans?

First of all Altona had many many players unavailable yesterday, I mean I am not saying we would have got anywhere near them but just saying dont base too much about where we are going on yesterdays performance. Although it was poor. we have served up way too many poor games this year.

Secondly people have been saying Altona's kids will carry us to finals in a few years time but within the club we know how much we are struggling atm. We have a very good bunch of kids down there and quite a few of them would make the 1's in the top 3 clubs, but many many players wouldn't even come close also. We have not met our expectations this year and are disappointed with our efforts, we have moved forward very minimally.
As has been said we do need some senior players to compete at this level so hopefully over the summer and nxt few years we can pick some up and along with some of the quality kids, we can work our way up to playing finals. We know we are no where near playing finals atm.

Without some quality senior players working with the kids, we know the kids want go far and it is stupid to expect them to carry us into the future, but we do some potentially very good young footballers coming through. Lets hope they can turn into these very good footballers.

Also good to see Glenorden give St Albans a shake, beat them last year and twice this year St Albans have been challenged by lower teams beating us by 17 and now Glenorden.

Also I believe Port will win the flag this year, playing off against Spotty in the GF. Think all top 6 teams are very good but believe these two are just slighty above the rest and will play off again. Would love to see someone else win it but cant see it happening this year.

about time someone from Altona got on here and posted something constructive...right on the mark kegs

AV07 not sure who you are but probablly best u delete your account. at least for the best of the club's image moving forward

90% of the boys down at the club no where we stand currently (bottom 4 and struggling ) but we are also willing and eager to strive and work hard. and get to where we want to be in the next few years.. without a doubt tho we need a handful of already established div 1 senior players to either step up or recruits come in and guide these young blokes to future success in divy 1 football.
although we have 7 listed jets players. 3 of them share the captancy and another 3 play regulary at least 5 of them are good enough to play VFL seniors for the next 5 years.. short term hopes of the club cant rest on these blokes they will be a bonus in 5 years time when they return to finish there footy careers at the club ie your barlings,urch's, sutcliffe. in saying that though there is still plenty of other gun youngsters down at the club who can play and will mix it with the best in the comp in a couple of years time. until then though the work is in front of us and alot will depend on whether the group is up to the challenge, i think they will be. only time will tell.

Also D jacobs starting to burn.. come finals i really wonder how many gears he can go up.. scary thought

shaping as a ripper finals series! u gotta love it

Not much talk on here about weekends games...

Sunshine all but gone from finals race.. They played with no spirit at all on weekend.. particulalry for a team playing for a finals spot.
Albion should gave won by 80 points.. Which is about the difference between the 2 clubs this year.
Cam Barker another BOG. have to be piling well in the medal..

What about other games, Glenorden pushed St Albans?

agree totally with the call that sunshine cant make finals, and even if they do they are just going to make up the numbers. colts and spotty so far ahead of everyone else its not funny.

albion should really of beaten sunshine by alot more. bad kicking, on a very windy day didnt help.

cam barker i agree would be polling well in the barry priest medal, although blokes like dorwood, knezevic, turner, buttina and others would all be taking votes off him. so if i asked everyone to name their treble-premiers/league B&F/goalkicking who would every choose..mine would be:

Spotty/Hollow(st A)/keenan(Sp)

agree totally with the call that sunshine cant make finals, and even if they do they are just going to make up the numbers. colts and spotty so far ahead of everyone else its not funny.

albion should really of beaten sunshine by alot more. bad kicking, on a very windy day didnt help.

cam barker i agree would be polling well in the barry priest medal, although blokes like dorwood, knezevic, turner, buttina and others would all be taking votes off him. so if i asked everyone to name their treble-premiers/league B&F/goalkicking who would every choose..mine would be:

Spotty/Hollow(st A)/keenan(Sp)

the cougar says:

port colts(obviously)

danny jacobs (pc) or brad murphy(hc)

mark keenan(sp)

i think dj can win the priest even though he is really turning it on now his form was very good early he has just gone up a few gears in the last 6 weeks and murphy has been the most consistant from hogans rd, probably wouldn't have many taking votes off him

about time someone from Altona got on here and posted something constructive...right on the mark kegs

AV07 not sure who you are but probablly best u delete your account. at least for the best of the club's image moving forward

90% of the boys down at the club no where we stand currently (bottom 4 and struggling ) but we are also willing and eager to strive and work hard. and get to where we want to be in the next few years.. without a doubt tho we need a handful of already established div 1 senior players to either step up or recruits come in and guide these young blokes to future success in divy 1 football.
although we have 7 listed jets players. 3 of them share the captancy and another 3 play regulary at least 5 of them are good enough to play VFL seniors for the next 5 years.. short term hopes of the club cant rest on these blokes they will be a bonus in 5 years time when they return to finish there footy careers at the club ie your barlings,urch's, sutcliffe. in saying that though there is still plenty of other gun youngsters down at the club who can play and will mix it with the best in the comp in a couple of years time. until then though the work is in front of us and alot will depend on whether the group is up to the challenge, i think they will be. only time will tell.

Also D jacobs starting to burn.. come finals i really wonder how many gears he can go up.. scary thought

shaping as a ripper finals series! u gotta love it

The keys are getting the players to come back to the club (from TAC VFL), keeping the kids and employing a coach who has very good people skills. Sometimes the best coaches aren't necessarily those who have brilliant technical minds or have played 500 games of local football. Most now have a couple of assistants they trust to help them out in the technical department anyway. If the coach is willing to put in the hard yards and get involved with the younger blokes at training, show an active interest in their footy and be a mentor, then that can only strengthen loyalty to the club (from those at the club and those who are playing a higher grade).

Have seen a few coaches who have assumed that moving up to the seniors at the club you played juniors at is an absolute given, have shown no interest, treated the young blokes with contempt and have then lost good players to other clubs. The loss of one or two players can be hard enough but it can start a domino effect of others leaving as well. Playing coaches work to a degree but only if the side has a core of established players. For developing clubs, a non playing coach who can concentrate on the game of his players rather than his own is important. It's amazing what you don't see when you're in the thick of the action. If not, then another well respected mentor must be employed to work with the coach in getting the best out of those learning the senior game.

With Clarke playing and coaching with success at the Colts and Theodore doing the same at Spotty last year for a flag, Kelly and Savalas, can see what clubs are thinking when wanting to go down the same lines but it may not be the best option for clubs trying to develop young senior list. No disrespect meant to those playing and coaching at present.

Money is always going to be an issue. While clubs are throwing it around, there well always be players ready to catch it. Overrated or not.

Heard a rumor on the weekend that Sunshine will be looking for a new coach as soon as this week. This will not be for this year but next, as the committee believe that Tocka has taken them as far as he can and will be looking for a replacement. Sunshine have spoke to Tocka about 2 to 3 weeks ago with concerns, he proceeded to ask the playing group on the track if anyone has a problem with him or his coaching and all players didn't mutter a word. Typical.

You heard it here first......... Absolute Fallacy. No truth whatsoever.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ridiculous Post. Not one ounce of truth in any of it.

i watched yc v albion on the weekend and blake richards tore yc apart he may make a big difference to albion's chances come finals time.He has missed a bit of footy this year thru injury but if he plays like he did sat albion have a big chance come the finals.And on the way the wrfl are going,it wont be around in 3 or 4 years clubs will either leave the comp or fold thats where its at.

i watched yc v albion on the weekend and blake richards tore yc apart he may make a big difference to albion's chances come finals time.He has missed a bit of footy this year thru injury but if he plays like he did sat albion have a big chance come the finals.And on the way the wrfl are going,it wont be around in 3 or 4 years clubs will either leave the comp or fold thats where its at.

Yeah, perhaps it's time for struggling clubs within the same area to look at merging and pool their resources. Let's not be scared off by the Yarravile/Seddon merge. We know that club history is important but keeping footy alive in the west is vital.

The league may have to then investigate merging with another league (as mentioned earlier).

jolly roger;11702112[B said:
]I know you have not played this year, so how about you returning to us (ALTONA) in a playing coachimg role, you will not be missed at spotty and it could be a good way for you to develop as a coach and help the young group we have at altona. Maybe you could also bring Jensen back also, i'm sure with two big blokes like yourselves it could help us climb the ladder.[/B]
Also maybe keenan could return to where he played juniors and help bring them up to first division, not sure if he would make a great coach but a team could certainly be built around him.
I'm a first time poster but have been a long time reader of big footy and i'm a lover of wrfl footy, but some massive results in both divisions is destroying the league and i call on the wrfl to fix this problem asap.
We need a more even competition to keep all clubs healthy and financial, otherwise the wrfl will be a no longer in just afew short years.

I also think colts are the team to beat but there is not much difference between them and spotty, albion and hoppers will fight it out for 3rd and then the saints will be out of the finals first week, sunshine's season is over. It will be a great finals series, something positive to look forward to.

Thanks for the offer mate and some day i would like to coach, but only coach not play. I have taken the year off to get a few injuries right but i bleed Green and Gold mate and intend on playing on next year.

I have tried to follow the WRFL for the last couple of seasons, and thought I would go and watch a few games leading up to finals.
I watched Port for a half on Saturday and think they have a fairly good side, a chance to be competitive in the majority of major leagues, so good size, bit of experience and some good kids.
What was disappointing was witnessing one of the lowest acts I have seen for a long time on a football field. If a king hit behind play can get a guy 2 months jail up near the border, I would hate to see what the act i witnessed on Saturday would get!
If you want people to continue to come to watch this league, clubs need to clean up the acts of some of their players. I hope something happens from this incident!

I have tried to follow the WRFL for the last couple of seasons, and thought I would go and watch a few games leading up to finals.
I watched Port for a half on Saturday and think they have a fairly good side, a chance to be competitive in the majority of major leagues, so good size, bit of experience and some good kids.
What was disappointing was witnessing one of the lowest acts I have seen for a long time on a football field. If a king hit behind play can get a guy 2 months jail up near the border, I would hate to see what the act i witnessed on Saturday would get!
If you want people to continue to come to watch this league, clubs need to clean up the acts of some of their players. I hope something happens from this incident!

No need for names but what happened?

Thanks for the offer mate and some day i would like to coach, but only coach not play. I have taken the year off to get a few injuries right but i bleed Green and Gold mate and intend on playing on next year.

mate best you get this checked by a doctor very quickly, saw on CSI the other week bleeding green is caused by being poisoned

Richards is an unbelievable talent. Fast and can kick a goal from 60-70. Fantastic game for him on Saturday. His good mate Frost looked lost. We just need to see more of it from him. He should playout the season well now he is injury free and 100% fit.

i wouldnt say green and gold more like yellow you known squealer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back