What AFL record will stand forever?

Remove this Banner Ad

239 by Geelong looks safe I reckon, games are a few minutes shorter than they were back when it was 25 minute quarters with less time on. I think it was Billy Brownless that kicked the score that beat the previous record in the last minute of that game against the Bears in 1992.

Although Geelong themselves did give it a bit of a shake against Richmond at the Dome a few years back.

I believe all high score records and goal kicking records will be beaten. The skills in Aussie Rules are getting better every year. At the moment, if your side has possession, they expect to enter the forward 50 perhaps 50% of the time (exact stats from WildGuess Incorporated) and maybe kick a goal from 1/3 of those 50 entries. So every time a team gains possession, they score a goal, say, 15% of the time.
As skills improve, I expect this number to rise. Maybe it will become like basketball, where possession leads to a 50% chance of scoring, or Netball where possession leads to a 80% chance of scoring, and a defensive stop becomes the key moment rather than the scoring.

It may take 50 years or so - not talking next week.

I have no facts or figures to back me up, but would an AFL grand final be the biggest sporting event attendance wise in the whole world? Could only think of perhaps a soccer world cup grand final maybe being higher? At a very large stadium though of course..

I believe all high score records and goal kicking records will be beaten. The skills in Aussie Rules are getting better every year. At the moment, if your side has possession, they expect to enter the forward 50 perhaps 50% of the time (exact stats from WildGuess Incorporated) and maybe kick a goal from 1/3 of those 50 entries. So every time a team gains possession, they score a goal, say, 15% of the time.
As skills improve, I expect this number to rise. Maybe it will become like basketball, where possession leads to a 50% chance of scoring, or Netball where possession leads to a 80% chance of scoring, and a defensive stop becomes the key moment rather than the scoring.

It may take 50 years or so - not talking next week.

Can I get the web address for that stat site - it sounds right up my alley!!

Big NASCAR races can get 150,000+ crowds. Indy 500 has had crowds of 350,000.

There is a big NASCAR race on the same day as the Indy 500. Crowds are generally about 350,000 for Indy 500 and 180,000 for the NASCAR race in another part of the country. Yep - the same day.

The Maracana stadium in Brazil when first built had a 205,000 capacity. And it was full for the 1950 World Cup final. Now converted to all seating it holds about 100,000.

There is a big NASCAR race on the same day as the Indy 500. Crowds are generally about 350,000 for Indy 500 and 180,000 for the NASCAR race in another part of the country. Yep - the same day.

The Maracana stadium in Brazil when first built had a 205,000 capacity. And it was full for the 1950 World Cup final. Now converted to all seating it holds about 100,000.

Okay well that shut me up lol.

Interestingly it is also an oval shape!

Of course NASCAR gets big crowds the USA has 320 Million people compared to OZ with only 23 Million - so overall we get very good crowds to our sports.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Here you go...

Geelong holds a number of league records including the longest winning streak in AFL/VFL history (23 games); the highest score recorded in a single game (37.17 (239) against Brisbane in 1992); the highest-ever aggregate season total for points scored (3,334 points in 1992); the record for restricting an opponent to the lowest ever score in a game (St Kilda 0.1 (1) in 1899); the most consecutive 100-point victories (3 games in a row, in 1989); the longest winning streak in interstate games (12 games) and achieved the longest home ground winning streak in VFL/AFL history, – 26 games straight at Skilled Stadium (formerly known as Kardinia Park). It is the only team to have had nine players selected in a single All-Australian team (2007). In 2009, Geelong became the only club to win more than 18 games in three successive seasons (2007—2009). And probably one of the most impressive of all was during our back to back premiership years of '51-'52, we remained undefeated for 26 weeks during the '52-'53 seasons.

That is all. :D

Trevor Barker played from 1975 to 1989 for 230 games and he didn't play a final.

You'd think that with the draft, salary cap etc. that this won't be beaten, although Chris Newman is on 188 games. Surely Richmond could make the finals in the next three years though.

Here you go...

- the longest home ground winning streak in VFL/AFL history, – 26 games straight at Skilled Stadium (formerly known as Kardinia Park).

A "Claytons" record.

Geelong holds the league record for the longest home ground winning streak in AFL history, with a compromised draw.

The highest quarter time margin (Essendon vs Gold Coast) will be very, very hard to beat. The highest first quarter score record wouldn't be as tough to beat as the margin though.

The highest quarter time margin (Essendon vs Gold Coast) will be very, very hard to beat. The highest first quarter score record wouldn't be as tough to beat as the margin though.

You might find that this one gets beaten as soon as next season with GWS.

I'd say records of ........... 26 games undefeated are pretty significant records in anyone's language.

It's a solid record, but again, it is highly compromised.

Personally, I place more weight in the South and Richmond records that occurred without a compromised draw.

Remove this Banner Ad

What AFL record will stand forever?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back