What AFL record will stand forever?

Remove this Banner Ad

Most consecutive wooden spoons. No club could ever be that pathetic ever again.

Which side holds that record?

I know Carlton has two in a row, but you'd think given possible circumstances 3 in a row is possible

I know Carlton has two in a row, but you'd think given possible circumstances 3 in a row is possible

VFL: St Kilda with six. 1897-1902
AFL: Sydney with three. 1992-1994

The AFL record will be broken.

I remember reading in the paper in the early 80s how they thought Bartlett's games record was going to last for years, they even ran through the current players who had a chance of getting near it and really couldn't find one. Of course, within a few years the record was gone. You just never know with this sort of thing.

Stkilda. 6 spoons in a row. They also won 4 spoons in a row and 2 spoons in a row at least 4 separate times.

Stkilda also have lost the most consecutive halfs of footy in a row, count is 43. To give you an idea how bad that is, they also come in 2nd and 3rd place belongs to University which is less than half the Stkilda number. Stkilda also come in equal 4th.

Stkilda's record for losing and coming dead set last is unparalleled.

Not with the way clubs heavily rotate their players throughout a season, and Goodes being 31 would only have 3-4 years tops and only has 290 now.

I don't see why that necessarily has to be the case. He never gets injured and still has elite athleticism at AFL-level. Why couldn't he keep going until his late 30s, with his last few years spent in the goal square?

For a player to get to 400 games, they'd have to play until their late 30s minimum and just because it's not the norm, doesn't mean it's impossible.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's impossible now for anyone to break Collingwood's Keith Bromage record as the youngest ever to play an AFL/VFL match. He played his first game in 1953 (a 'Pies premiership year!) at 15 years and 287 days.

michael tucks game record.

Does anyone think Boomer Harvey could break this record?

He is sitting on 315 games, but has shown tremendous resiliance during his career and is still playing very good footy.

An uninterrupted 2011 would see him chalk up 323 games. 4 more seasons and 8 finals would take him to 415 odd games.

5 uninterrupted seasons would see him reach Tucks record.

Very unlikely, but not absolutely beyond the realms of possibility.

You'd think all the goal kicking ones probably wont be beat. Goals in a game/season/career.

Most points in a quarter - 17.4-106 by South Melbourne v St Kilda in 1919.

Essendon were only a couple of goals short of that again the Suns in the first quarter. With GWS coming in next year it's possible that record could go.

Some great stats in that article. I could forseeably see Collingwoods 4 Flags being Broken or Tuck's games record breaking- they aren't that out of reach. At the same time I could see someone breaking Fannings record because it takes someone playing out of their skin for one game. But Tuck's 11 GF appearances is something I think will stand forever.

As a side note, I was never aware that Fanning's 18 goals was in his last game. Maybe he would have broken it if he kept going!

And for people trying to talk down Ripken's record for consecutive baseball games, please don't. Amazing stat and widely regarded as one of the greatest moments in Baseball in America

Whoever holds the one for most consecutive Grand Final appearances will now hold it forever. I know the Hawks clocked up 7-in-a-row in the 80's, but there's probably a longer streak than that in footy history.

Of all of Tuck's records, I think his 7 premierships and 11 Grand Finals is the most untouchable. 426 is unbelievable, but then again, 403 was thought to be untouchable and that record didn't even last a decade. Craig Bradley played 500+ if you factor in his time at Port Adelaide, so all it will take will be an injury-free career by a topline player and it will get close to being broken. 38 finals? Could be broken by a player who plays for one or more dominant teams over a long period.

As for Plugger's record - I would write that one off just yet. The game goes through peaks and troughs. You had Coventry and Pratt winning the goalkicking in the 20s and 30s with 130-150 goals, but by the sixties, you could win the goalkicking crown with 65 goals. Then it ramps back up with Hudson and McKenna.

The goalkicking thing only needs two players to go at it year after year and things may get close. Is it any coincidence that Fev's best year (99 goals in '08) was the same year that Buddy kicked 100, or that Ablett, Dunstall and Lockett all kicked 1000 goals over similar years? I think the presence of other great full forwards pushes the tallies higher and higher. All we need is for those players to come along!

Remove this Banner Ad

What AFL record will stand forever?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back