What are the moments in AFL that you will never forget?

Remove this Banner Ad

'Nick Davis to savis' remember that banner from his 4 goal effort in the last quater against Geelong in the 05 finals.

Ben Cousins comeback game in 07.

Daniel chick smother, handpass and then sheppard to set up an Adam Hunter goal.

Jason Akermanis left foot snap to sink the pies in that epic grand final. (can't remember which year it was)

Richo being so close to winning the Brownlow!

Carlton getting caught for cheating.

Something every supporter should never forget.

And we still came out the other side in a much better position than Richmond :D

Mine would be:
  • Barry Hall's hit on staker
  • Lance Whitnall goal from 55 / Fraser Brown tackle to win the 99 prelim by 1 point
  • Moorecroft's mark

Brunswick Street Oval, around 1957. Half of the ground is under water, due to rain. Idiot runs onto the playing field to attack the umpire, because he disagrees with a decision.

Fitzroy's Norm Johnstone (Travis's immeasurably more talented and tougher grandfather), intercepts the interloper as he enters the field of play. He picks up the culprit and tosses him into the largest puddle on the ground. Three votes for N. Johnstone.

In just my second visit to perth, I was at the game where Nic Naitanui annouced himself against the hawks in 2009.

Will never forget it.

1992 GF was on of my earliest memories of football.
Despite being on the losing end, the emotion from watching Leo Barry's mark was incredible. One of the best moments I have ever seen in football and I am sure people from both teams supporters agree.

That Natianui vs Hawks game was a good one too :D

Leo Barry's mark.

Chick's shepard/Hunter's goal in the 06 GF

2006 comeback vs Geelong

Harry O Brien missing the first goal in the first 2010 GF (had $10 on him for first goal at 81-1).

Gold Coast's first win.

Essendon's season in 2000.

Can't believe it hasn't been mentioned but Fitzroy's last season, in particular their last Victorian game against Richmond. The security downing the supporters for running onto the field after the game as well was a low blow.

Also will never forget Scarlett's toe poke to Ablett to Chappy for a goal in 2009.

Some sickening sights I'll never forget are broken legs to Nathan Brown, Jason Snell & James Strauss (was at all the games these happened in). Also a Geelong player (John Barnes?) who broke his upper arm possibly against Carlton at Princes Park.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

1987 Preliminary final when the Hawks won by 2 points; after Buckenara marked the ball on the siren, received a 15 metre penalty and scored the winning goal. Very close game. There were only seconds left of the game when a Hawthorn player kicked out from full back.

EJ's days.

Day 1 - the 1995 SOO match at the MCG. Everyone knew EJ was doing it really tough and I still well up with tears watching EJ and his son, in the car, going around the MCG that day. Nothing else seemed to matter - it was like we were all saying goodbye to a hero.

Day 2 - the state funeral. I had just lost my grandfather to cancer and was still a bit of wreck, but, when EJ's funeral happened, I was one of the many who lined the route of the procession. I was at the top of Footscray's Nicholson St mall. Football fans no matter which club they followed or where they were from, were united in their grief.

2008 Grand Final. Was not only great to win the flag, but having put up with the cockyness of Geelong supporters all week it was nice to see them sook afterwards.

From the GF, Rioli's tackle on the wing was amazing. 3 v 1 and he managed to win the ball. Magic.
Late in the 3rd quarter when we piled on 5 goals in 8 minutes or so. Stewie Dew played one of the games of his career and helped steer us to victory.

Buddy's Elimination Final goal in 07, I will never forget that. The crowd went nuts.

1996 Merger game, was an epic game.

Shaw's smother last year was a massive moment.

Leo Barry's mark in the dying stages will be replayed for years to come

Buddy's goal against the bombers in 2010, one of the best goals I've ever seen.

Waverly park

Barry Hall's hit on Staker.

Lewis getting cleaned up by a Bulldog player (name has escaped me). One of the most sickening hits I have ever seen, lucky to walk away from it without some kind of neck, spine injury looking back

Limiting it to AFL:

1994 Preliminary Final. Wrong side probably won - but there was so much drama in the end. Ablett's final 'no justice' mark over Martin (though of course being him it would be just a casual one-hander when he finally did do something) sent the crowd as loud as I've heard. And of course the Cats had nothing left to give in the next week.

1993 Preliminary Final. I don't think a crowd has ever been more responsible for inspring a comeback than this - both in terms of the Adelaide fans singing the club song at half time, and the defiant, brutal roaring of the red'n'black brigade in respose. Plus, the Bombers weren't done there. 1993 is still the biggest shock GF result in my lifetime for mine.

2009 Grand Final: Probably too soon (or too seen?) to be appreciated, but the whole sequence of events leading to Chapman's goal ... Jones' turnover, Taylor's dodgy pass, Johnson (finally) involved, Ablett's inexplicable isolation, Dawson's amazing spoil, the toe-poke.

1: The pig on the field at the SCG and Darren Holmes tackling it like he did with most pigs off the field!

2: Gary Ablett's hand of god mark with 5 seconds left in the 94 prelim and Mick Martyn in a state of shock as the siren sounded. Never forget that pain!

3: Troy Broadbridge tribute game in rd 1, 2005. The big banner reading TROY BROADBRIDGE 5/10/80 - 26/12/04 RIP..... and on the back saying Unfinished business. Very emotional night.

4: Darren Millane holding the ball aloft as the siren sounded in the 1990 Grand Final. Great but eerie image.

5: Jason Akermanis left foot snap in the dying minutes of the 2002 GF.

Remove this Banner Ad

What are the moments in AFL that you will never forget?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back