What are the moments in AFL that you will never forget?

Remove this Banner Ad

Ray Card on Keith Greig
Stan Magro on Jezza
The pig on the ground
The elephant
Gary Sidebottom getting a can in the head
Phil Carman on umpire Carbury
Leigh Matthews hit on Bruns
Wade Chapman pass to Plugger
Plugger's record
Ablett playing fullback on Dunstall at Kardinia Park (think Dunstall kicked 12 by the end)
Ablett v Salmon shootout. It was on my bucks night/day. Shotgunning cans for goals.
'07, '09 and in particular '11.

there's plenty more..................

Two of the greatest times I've had at a match.
[youtube]_wGzx_rXNy4[/youtube]

[youtube]ccJ24Vqv_TI[/youtube]

The merger match of 1996 will always be a great memory too, it had everything.

Shows just how stupid Robert Walls is...

"Run 70 meters, had 3 bounces...." Well considering you can only run 15 meters per bounce... lol douche of the highest order. He didnt even sound amazed, he'd be running around the broadcast box like a headless chook if that was Judd.

Moment I'll never forget will be a update/highlight on seven news on the WCE V North game, when Jakovich chased Carey for 30 odd meters after a contest and Carey casually slots it in from 45m out on the boundary, wrong side for a right footer... brilliant.

Ted Whitten's lap with his son at State of Origin 1995 was a moment I will never forget such raw emotion by everyone in the ground and still gives me a shiver thinking about it.

Other moments include;

- the comeback against Carlton in the 2000 QF when Green and Bruce kicked 5 goals between them in the last. The Carlton supporters were shell-shocked.
- the 1988 Semi Final against Collingwood probably the biggest crowd I'd ever seen (I was 6 at the time) and we beat them
- not really a specific moment but any game Allen Jakovich dominated, particularly the game against Collingwood at Vic Park in 1992 when they were on top of the ladder and we were sitting down the bottom. He went to the bench in the first quarter and the Pies supporters were getting stuck into him - he came back on booted 7 and cost the Pies top spot/double chance.
- Jeff Farmer's 2000 season in particular his 9 goal half against the Pies on Queens B'day.
- listening to the radio at home when Melbourne beat Footscray at the Western Oval R22 1987 to make the finals for the first time in 23 years - couldn't go to the game as it was my sisters 3rd birthday that day.
- Watching Melbourne beat the Blues in the Prelim Final 1988 to make the GF for the first time in 24 years.
- Waking up at 6am to catch the end of the GF Marathon in 1988 all pumped to see the Demons play in the GF only to learn my dad didn't have a ticket for me and would be going to the game with my uncle only. Probably a good thing in hindsight.

There are tonnes of others over the years but those one's stick in my mind the most.

Ray Card on Keith Greig
Stan Magro on Jezza
The pig on the ground
The elephant
Plugger's record
Ablett playing fullback on Dunstall at Kardinia Park (think Dunstall kicked 12 by the end)
Ablett v Salmon shootout. It was on my bucks night/day. Shotgunning cans for goals.

Thug act.

Ray Card on Keith Greig
Stan Magro on Jezza
The pig on the ground
The elephant
Plugger's record

9 actually. Yet more evidence against the nonsense that Blight was some genius coach. One of the more plainly idiotic things I've ever seen.

Didak smother + finish on the right foot 2010 GF Replay

Tears to the eyes on the day at the ground, still gives me shivers now.

That was the moment i knew we had it!!

Best day of my LIFE. :D

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The Eagles coming from 54 behind in the 3rd quarter at Skilled stadium against Geelong in 2006 and winning. I ended up having to smash eggs on my face and uploading the photos to Bay 13.

The very next week when we came from 44 points behind at Subi to beat Carlton. Embleys goal at around the 30 minute mark to put us in front is the loudest ive ever heard a crowd.

And of course, the 1 point thriller 2006 GF, where the last 30 seconds of play almost caused me to have a nervous breakdown.

Leo barry you #%*&

Koutafides taking a mark in the Eagles forward line in the dying seconds that sealed a close win for Carlton at Optus Oval.

The goal that was called a behind in the '97 prelim.
Leo Barry.
Skywalker (Was at the game, what a mark. No matter who you supported, everyone went ballistic.)
Essendon v North comeback.
Every massive win that occured in 2011.
Chris Grant's freak banana in Round 22, 2000 against the top team (Essendon) that snuck us into the 8.

Chris Grant's freak banana in Round 22, 2000 against the top team (Essendon) that snuck us into the 8.

I think you have already started forgetting, i definitely havent though.
It was a left foot snap from the boundary, for a free for on the full by fletcher, billy wanted it, grant took it.

I have seem my team win 3 flags's.. But i see a team win the flag every year.
Only once have i seen the level of cheating that carlton got caught for.

That's the choice word isn't it: Caught.
I think most real football followers know just how rampant the activity was amongst many clubs.
In fairness to you though, it's a moment that won't be forgotten by most Carlton followers, for all the wrong reasons.
Did the crime. Did the time.

As an Essendon supporter, there's too many that come to mind,

But this one comes first, although we didn't win.

Troy Broadbridge, the first game after he was tragically killed in the Boxing Day Tsunamis, Melbourne rallied and all had the number 20 on their arms and came out and smashed us.

Then walked off arm in arm for Troy. Was quite emotional.

Remove this Banner Ad

What are the moments in AFL that you will never forget?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back