What are your thoughts on people wearing their team footy gear when not going to games?

Remove this Banner Ad

PerthBoy86

Norm Smith Medallist
May 23, 2016
AFL Club
West Coast
Someone in a thread said the 'dregs of society' and only idiots wore their team's footy gear 'out and about' (i.e. not when going to games) and I replied that I do, like I wear my Eagles cap because it's a cap, it serves a function, likewise my Eagles jumper is comfy and practical for exercise. Like I often see people wearing their team merch and I like seeing it, or don't think much of it. I'd actually like to see people wear their own team colours during the gf parade and gf day.

Anyway, it surprised me they were so judgemental about something so innocuous, and wondered if this was a common sentiment. Is it some snobbish thing? Seen as childish? Maybe a class thing? Like who made them the police? They can judge all they want but it won't stop me or I suspect most people.

Never really the connection between what someone wears and some deep insight into their life or psychological profile. Other than in this example, ‘they probably like footy’.

I used to live in box hill next to this dude who would wear his hawthorn cap, scarf and jumper in his house all day every day. Would walk past his place every morning and see him sitting at his laptop posting away. Would walk home past his place after work and he’d still be there, dressed up, typing away. I always assumed it was “strapping young lad” tbh.

That said, wear what you like, who cares what the creepy guy staring into your window every day thinks.

I don’t mind wearing club t-shirts, caps around the place. Don’t much care what anyone thinks but I see plenty of others do the same where I live.

It is a bit of an open invitation for randoms to talk to you though, so if I’m not in the mood for engaging I have to remember to skip the demons apparel.

People will complain about anything and Australians love a good whinge, when it comes to whingeing, we have world-beating skills and panoramic tastes. So what if fans want to wear a cap or footy jumper when going from A to B. Isn't the bad umpiring reason enough to have a good whinge?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A cap is a bit different to being a full kit w***er. I can’t really get behind a game day jumper outside of going to a game but each to their own. It’s not really on my radar of giving a ****.

It's probably an Aussie cultural cringe thing if people have problems with others wearing their footy teams colours around.

You see folks with their NBA or European soccer shirts all the time without others turning up their noses.

I get the sense that the idea that wearing the club colours is commonplace and embraced in other countries may not be completely accurate. Like I feel like the done thing is to maybe wear your Spurs or West Ham or Arsenal shirt to a pub to watch the game, or of course to the game itself, but wearing it around a shopping centre is chavvy.

I get the sense that the idea that wearing the club colours is commonplace and embraced in other countries may not be completely accurate. Like I feel like the done thing is to maybe wear your Spurs or West Ham or Arsenal shirt to a pub to watch the game, or of course to the game itself, but wearing it around a shopping centre is chavvy.
Can’t even wear it to the game if you’re playing away.

I used to live in box hill next to this dude who would wear his hawthorn cap, scarf and jumper in his house all day every day. Would walk past his place every morning and see him sitting at his laptop posting away. Would walk home past his place after work and he’d still be there, dressed up, typing away. I always assumed it was “strapping young lad” tbh.

That said, wear what you like, who cares what the creepy guy staring into your window every day thinks.
This post deserves a lot more likes.

I think it’s fine. Has associations though.

international clubs like Chicago Bulls, Barcelona FC, they for a time transcended affiliation like a Nirvana/Kiss/Stones shirt.

I guess if you know the person lives and breathes it and wears it casually half the time you see them then yes a bit dorky but live and let live, too petty for mine, as long as they aren’t the toxic superfan campaigner who haunts talkback and visibly stinkily moodswings the week to win-loss. Club stores also have merch wear for different occasions, not like you’ll don a guernsey for a date.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

What are your thoughts on people wearing their team footy gear when not going to games?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back