What do you want out of season 24?

Remove this Banner Ad

I've had a bit of a look at the last 8 rounds. If we assume Sydney and Carlton are probably going to finish top 4 (and most likely top 2), this leaves two spots open to other teams.

The 5 teams above us are all within a game of us and have an inferior percentage. Therefore if we win all our remaining games, the only way we will still miss the top 4, is if both Geelong and Port Adelaide win all their remaining games.

For Geelong it's quite possible; their toughest matchups in the run home are probably Hawthorn (on form), tho that is in Geelong, Collingwood at the MCG and Freo in Perth.

For Port tho it might be a tougher affair. They still have another showdown, they host Sydney, while they're also away to Gold Coast, Carlton, Melbourne and Fremantle. That's a heck of a run home.

So we only need either of Geelong or Port to lose a single game out of their last 16, combined. And also the not insignificant task of continuing to win ourselves.

Lots of ifs, especially around our own form of course, but a rough guide for those of us playing along at home and wanting to know who to death ride over the next couple of months.

I’ve run my own predictor. If we lose only 1 more game, draw one game and beat wce by 22 points while Jupiter is in alignment then we win the flag.

I’ve run my own predictor. If we lose only 1 more game, draw one game and beat wce by 22 points while Jupiter is in alignment then we win the flag.
Shame you'll only beat us by 22 goals then

Sent from my SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app

Did my latest ladder predictor, have us losing 2 games on the run home finishing 5th and playing the Magpies in an Elimination Final at the Gabba.

If we were to lose only 1 game we finish 4th and an away Qualifying final v the Swans.

Tigers get a well earned wooden spoon.

Did my latest ladder predictor, have us losing 2 games on the run home finishing 5th and playing the Magpies in an Elimination Final at the Gabba.

If we were to lose only 1 game we finish 4th and an away Qualifying final v the Swans.

Tigers get a well earned wooden spoon.
I actually can’t see us losing a game from here. 🤞

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I actually can’t see us losing a game from here. 🤞

Could lose one of the Sydney, Suns, GWS and Pies games imo, but I am with you - think we will keep winning. No room for error makes me nervous, but our best is clearly good enough and we know what's at stake.

Could lose one of the Sydney, Suns, GWS and Pies games imo, but I am with you - think we will keep winning. No room for error makes me nervous, but our best is clearly good enough and we know what's at stake.

Let's get past West Coast first :)

Only game we’ve lost in 3 months was away to Hawthorn
I left for Europe just after we lost that match and will return just before our round 22 match v the Giants.

My lions-supporting mate has requested that I never come back to Aus

Having to listen to our games abroad has brought back memories of supporting the club as a Vic-based fan without Foxtel in the early 2000s.

The losses of Dizzy, Linc, Doedee and Kiddy have been a true punch to the guts, but I absolutely agree with you. We are still a very capable side and our losses this season (save for the GWS 2nd half blowout, which is explainable given the 5-day turnaround after a wet slog-fest) haven't been that bad against pretty decent opposition.

The lapses, 3qt fadeouts, inaccuracy in front of goal and the ability for other teams to get a run on have definitely been a lowlight and cause for concern - however these things can be addressed.

The performance against Melbourne at the G and the re-emergence of Zorko as a creative and damaging half back have been some highlights, as well as the opportunity for some of the younger talent on our list to get an opportunity. The win on the weekend should have been 100 points had we kicked straight and would have been even more extraordinary given the circumstances. A gutsy performance when our season was definitely on the line.

I recall Brendan Bolton (during his time as Hawthorn's caretaker) discussing their mindset of when 1 soldier goes down, another steps up to fill the role. This approach has Fagan written all over it and he will be backing the inclusions to get the job done. As big a loss each player has been, we have been able to:
  • Fill Kiddy's role with someone as equally (if not more) damaging in Zorko
  • Doedee and Dizzy were largely absent from the side in 2023
  • Will be likely to cover Linc's high-half forward role (medium sized forward with good decision making and contested marking ability) with Ah-Chee (who has been on the fringe and a real swing-man in recent years)
We also have the inclusions of Bailey, Ashcroft and Dev to look forward to which will improve our side with class and experience. Assuming a better run of injuries until September, the current injury 'crisis' will at least give our depth some decent exposure and preparation if they need to be called upon again. I am really excited to get a look at some of the emerging talent on our list and I believe we have enough experience across all lines to 'carry' these younger players i.e. we have not hit the point of critical mass (just yet).

Premierships aren't won in April/May. Although our season is in a precarious position, if we could manage to make finals or even a first week home final, we're in with a genuine chance for a flag.

There's still plenty of (lion) left in this fight.
Just going to leave this here.

Remove this Banner Ad

What do you want out of season 24?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back