What punishment will the AFL impose

Remove this Banner Ad

Considering we were on our last warning with the AFL and todays events is anyone else worried about how the AFL will come down on us?

I'm worried that the number 3 draft pick we got might no longer be with us after the AFL is done :(

Considering we were on our last warning with the AFL and todays events is anyone else worried about how the AFL will come down on us?

I'm worried that the number 3 draft pick we got might no longer be with us after the AFL is done :(

It will be the mother of all fines and thats it I imagine. I think the AFL learnt there lesson with Carlton in regards to taking draft picks away

Doubt there will be a loss of any draft picks.
If WC act quickly and sack him, which I believe they should, there may only be some minor fallout as far as the club itself is concerned. They can't chaperone him 24/7 for god's sake. He's an adult (at least in age if not in actions) and is responsible for his own actions.

We better not lose draft picks because of it. I'm not fussed with a hefty fine but please, pelase don't take our draft picks.

I rekon you guys would be very hard done by if you lot picks/premiership points.

Why should the club suffer, the 2 involved should be punished not those who wernt involved

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's wrong to punish clubs because players are acting up - the players are adults and responsible for their own actions.

Carlton lost their picks because Carlton the club had done the wrong thing by deliberately breaching the salary cap, not because their players had. If the AFL wants to hand out penalties, then they should be directed at the players concerned, not the clubs they play with.

Plus, given we all *know* that another club <insert injunction here> has a drug problem, to punish one club and not another would be hypocritical.

But we're talking the AFL. Hypocritical is part of the game.

It will be the mother of all fines and thats it I imagine. I think the AFL learnt there lesson with Carlton in regards to taking draft picks away

Your list in in good shape, ours was already a train wreck when the penalties were imposed. I dont think there will be draft penalties, but if ther ewere I dont think it would impact too much. That said, I think it will be a huge fine, perhaps when everything is said and done this is something that had to happen for the Eagles to get back on track, in terms of cleaning out of the list the bad eggs. Will still be a contender in 08 I believe.

The fine handed to Carlton was the most inappropriate ever. Now people can argue, but even Leigh Matthews was quoted as saying that the AFL must be aware that they were too heavy handed and it would have killed a club like Melbourne, Bulldogs, Kangaroos. The AFL will have learned from that mistake and the punishment they hand out should be relational to one that would be appropriate to any club, it should not target the fact that WC would recover from a loss of picks.

To remove a clubs picks is to have a long lasting detrimental effect on a club and to stymie their growth for many years, the AFL would be foolish to consider this an appropriate action again. I think they will sit back on this one and see how WC handle it, there will be plenty of time because Cousins is innocent until proven otherwise (which I feel he will be), at such time I think the WC management will terminate his contract (which I am sure they would already have that clause in there), when the club is shown to make such a stronge stance as to sack possibly their greatest ever player, then the AFL should step up, announce that they are pleased with the way WC have handled the situation and let things go. AD likes to make his presence felt, but as long as WCE handle appropriately then they should not interfere.

I don't think they'll punish the club unless it is shown that the club knew cousins was back on the wagon, or that they in anyway condoned it or tried to hide it. I can't possibly imagine the club doing any of those things, so as long as the club sacks him (which seems inevitable), that should be it. What more could the club possibly have done?

If the eagles have implemented the programs that it is said they would to try and fix the culture of the club then surely the AFL can't fine/punish the eagles? End of the day the club can't control what a player does in their own time, regardless of how much money, time and effort they pour into changing the problems at the club.

The AFL has a problem on its hands.

In April AFL Commissioner threatened heavy sanctions including loss of draft picks in the event of a recurrence of the sort of behaviour that occurred earlier in the year.

To take any other option would casue the AFL Commission to lose credibility.

Pick 3 and a big fine if it's only Cousins involved. A lot more if others are involved as well.

Not here trolling or anything.

I used to live in Perth and my mum is still there. She called me before and told me that there were a range of possible punishments that could be imposed.

Apparently the one at the top is suspension of the club from the league until they sort out the problem. Followed closely by draft penalties and fines.

Is this the case?

In April AFL Commissioner threatened heavy sanctions including loss of draft picks in the event of a recurrence of the sort of behaviour that occurred earlier in the year.

Pick 3 and a big fine if it's only Cousins involved. A lot more if others are involved as well.

And if they do that, how is it not a problem that they don't equally hit *injunction club* who have no less than seven players known to have been caught using drugs.

I doubt the league could touch pick 3 as it was traded for. If they did I can guarantee we'd be in courtville

Remove this Banner Ad

What punishment will the AFL impose

Remove this Banner Ad

Back