What punishment will the AFL impose

Remove this Banner Ad

Well if half the players get banned they get banned. if I put my hard earned down on a bet for a game and then then I find an opposition player has taken drugs, do I get my bet back. You bet I dont.

Its time to make a stand, not just against West Coast or Ben Cousins but as I said ALL players who have tested positive. Unfortunately for you guys, this has just bought it all to a head.

It wont take the league too long to get back to the standard we have now if they actually had the guts to do it.

So maybe he was tested yesterday? He was arrested in the middle of the day in Perth so no curfew violations? Cousins is on annual leave, is this also outside of the AFL?No they suspected and waited til they had a breach of contract to act. They could not suspend him on suspicions while he denied what was being put to him.The death of his friend was only ever going to go one of two ways. Either he got his act together as a result of seeing a friend die, or he went off the rails. Unfortunately he went off the rails.

The AFL wont have to act, he will be sacked. The club has no choice.

The AFL really have no where to move with sanctions against the club though. Like someone has said, they got involved and signed off on Cousins return, so they cant now say to West Coast "Well you let him come back and play."

Wasnt Cousins sacked as Captain in an off-field - out of season incident that saw him ditching his gf and his car on the freeway and running off while under the influence.

So you cant really say that the Eagles have nothing to do with his out of season behaviour because at all times, he is representitive of the West Coast Eagles football club and should behave at all times in a manner that doesnt lower the reputation of the club.

The problem there is that the AFL placed a series of potential penalties that the club would wear if Cousins screwed up again. They also stated a set of conditions that were to be obeyed for Cousins to come back and play football ever again. The Eagles signed off on that.

He has been arrested and charged which kinda infringes on those conditions and the AFL is going to deregister him and the eagles will delist and sack him. If he ever plays football again, he will be playing for the prison football team.

Sad end to a great player.

I rekon you guys would be very hard done by if you lot picks/premiership points.

Why should the club suffer, the 2 involved should be punished not those who wernt involved

I don't have a beef with WCE personally. I think as an orgaisation you have put together a great list and deserve all of your success. This latest Cousins thing is disappointing for all football fans, but most of all you guys.

However, I think that there is a problem at WCE which is more widespread than just Cuz and Chick. Kerr, Fletcher, Gardiner (before he left), whilst none was proven, the mere fact that it keeps cropping up points to there being a slightly more serious problem. are there problems at other clubs? Probably, but at the present time they haven't manifested themselves so we are left with WCE as the pointy end of the stick.

I think the AFL will take action and I suspect it will be draft picks for a couple of reasons:

1. it will be a warning to other clubs to sort this out. If there is a problem clubs have an obligation to get to the bottom of because ultimately the reputation of the game is at stake!

2. the fact that the WCE made the AFL look like fools during the incident's earlier this year will have given the AFL all the ammunition it needs to take aim and fire and they will much the same way that they burnt Carlton after they made a mockery of the salary cap.

3. the problems a "drug culture" creates in attracting sponsors, players etc to the game is somethin the AFL will be mindful of. What if a parent refuses to allow their child to join WCE on the basis of what has happened? It would cause all sorts of problems.

4. its an election! The Federal Governemnt is going to be coming down hard and tough on the AFL to improve its drug testing and to take a zero tolerance approach on players who flout the law.

I think it will be a combination of:

1. Deregistration of Cuz as a player;
2. Fines - reasonably significant; and
3. Loss of Draft picks

I don't think they will "bankrupt" the club to the extent that they did with Carlton and I don't think they will go quite as tough in respect of the draft picks, but if the AFL don't then they risk a whole lot more than upsetting the WCE fans.

Guys I'm not trolling and I am trying to be objective and I really do think that WCE have been hung out to dry by both Chick and Cuz, but the club could have gotten rid of these guys at the beginning of the year when it was apparent there was a problem and didn't. I think the AFL will take the matter out of the WCE hands.

Whether the Eagles get sanctioned will not be a decision made by Demetriou, it will be made by Fitzpatrick and the AFL Commission.

Good luck Eagles, because there's no doubt your club will now be the subject of an AFL Commision meeting.

Fredikanoute, i have made this point several times to opposition posters on our boards but i will make it again. There will be no penalties from the AFL for the eagles for the following reasons -

a) If the AFL is going to hold the eagles (or any other club) responsible for the behaviour of one player on their list and make them 100% accountable what resources and provisions have they made availabvle to the clubs to deal with the problem? Thats right - none. The clubs only get informed whne a player has his second strike. Drug testing is the AFL's domain. The clubs cannot perform their own testing on demand without permission even if they suspect a player. There cannot be any accountability and responsibility without the authority and resources to deal effectively with the problem. The clubs hands are ties. What more could west coast have done?

b) If the eagles are to be punished and held accountable for cousins behaviour what is the penalty going to be for all the other AFL clubs with players who have players on their lists who have tested positive for rec drugs, either 1, 2 or 3 strikes? There are plenty of them. 40 positive tests and counting. Probably at least one at every club. If the eagles get punished so must every other AFL club. Every one of the 16 that has had a player test positive. Can't have one rule for one club and one rule for everyone else. That would not stand up in the courts. if we go down then so does everybody else.

c) The AFL micromanaged, signed off on and untill yesterday was busy trying to take credit for cousins "rehabilitation". They were intimately involved every step and has the final say on the whole thing. They have worked hand-in-hand with the eagles and the 2 of them co-operated the whole way. Nobody forced them to sign off on it. They can't sheet all the blame home on the eagles now it's gone wrong. Nobody forced them to sign off on Cousins.

d) If we get punished for bringing the game into disrepute beyind the deregistration of cousins what is the penalty for carlton for fevola's disgraceful behaviour in Dublin last year which embarrassed the whole code or collingwood's penalty for Didak's complicity with an organised crime figure which ultimately resulted indirectly in the shooting deaths if 2 innocent people. Far biger crimes and far worse publicity than what cousins has caused.

Cousins will be sacked but beyond that there will be no penalty. The eagles could not have done anymore to help avoid this hapenning. they have never acted dishonestly or gained an unfair advantage over the comp. And most importantly of all Cousins is not the only AFL player involved in drugs and if teh eagles are going to be punished so must every other club with a player with a positive test.

Keep dreaming opposition posters and if you want to keep writing your illogical crap on our board explain why the AFL will still apply a penalty in spite of all these points.

Fredikanoute, i have made this point several times to opposition posters on our boards but i will make it again. There will be no penalties from the AFL for the eagles for the following reasons -

a) If the AFL is going to hold the eagles (or any other club) responsible for the behaviour of one player on their list and make them 100% accountable what resources and provisions have they made availabvle to the clubs to deal with the problem? Thats right - none. The clubs only get informed whne a player has his second strike. Drug testing is the AFL's domain. The clubs cannot perform their own testing on demand without permission even if they suspect a player. There cannot be any accountability and responsibility without the authority and resources to deal effectively with the problem. The clubs hands are ties. What more could west coast have done?

b) If the eagles are to be punished and held accountable for cousins behaviour what is the penalty going to be for all the other AFL clubs with players who have players on their lists who have tested positive for rec drugs, either 1, 2 or 3 strikes? There are plenty of them. 40 positive tests and counting. Probably at least one at every club. If the eagles get punished so must every other AFL club. Every one of the 16 that has had a player test positive. Can't have one rule for one club and one rule for everyone else. That would not stand up in the courts. if we go down then so does everybody else.

c) The AFL micromanaged, signed off on and untill yesterday was busy trying to take credit for cousins "rehabilitation". They were intimately involved every step and has the final say on the whole thing. They have worked hand-in-hand with the eagles and the 2 of them co-operated the whole way. Nobody forced them to sign off on it. They can't sheet all the blame home on the eagles now it's gone wrong. Nobody forced them to sign off on Cousins.

d) If we get punished for bringing the game into disrepute beyind the deregistration of cousins what is the penalty for carlton for fevola's disgraceful behaviour in Dublin last year which embarrassed the whole code or collingwood's penalty for Didak's complicity with an organised crime figure which ultimately resulted indirectly in the shooting deaths if 2 innocent people. Far biger crimes and far worse publicity than what cousins has caused.

Cousins will be sacked but beyond that there will be no penalty. The eagles could not have done anymore to help avoid this hapenning. they have never acted dishonestly or gained an unfair advantage over the comp. And most importantly of all Cousins is not the only AFL player involved in drugs and if teh eagles are going to be punished so must every other club with a player with a positive test.

Keep dreaming opposition posters and if you want to keep writing your illogical crap on our board explain why the AFL will still apply a penalty in spite of all these points.

I think it is you that is dreaming if you think there will be no penalty.

I would say that the fact he wouldn't take a test, tells everyone he was hoping something may have left his system, otherwise why wouldn't he have offered the sample.

He will be sacked if found guilty and the AFL Will take heavy action, they need to be seen to be taking a heavy hand.

The Eagles have been warned about their players stepping out of line and they assured the AFL they had things under control.

He was allowed back too soon, he was clean, but not over the addiction.

As for your point about certain other clubs, its like the small child at the school principal. Its no use saying what about little Johnny he was doing it too, you were caught take your punishment.

No Picks, No Cousins, Large Fine

So we are responsible for the off field behaviour of our players and will be punished for it but the other 15 clubs are not responsible for their players? Come down off your cloud, dreamer. The AFL would NEVER be able to defend that in court and thats where it would end up if they tried. There will be no punishment for the club beyond the deregistration of cousins. Every club has players with positive tests and what goes for one goes for all.

Don't worry, they won't. It's just opposition supporters jumping up and down and getting excited because -

a) they are stupid and can't think logically
b)they are jealous of our playing list (the best in the AFL) and want to bring us down to there level so they can compete in the coming years.

When has the AFL even made a negative comment about clubs handling of negative behaviour off field by players? They said nothing to carlton about fevola, nothing to collingwood about didak, nothing to freo about farmer. They don't even have the balls to say anything let alone impose punishment to these clubs. They won't and can't punish ours.

Why do other clubs posters compare cousins drug problems to carlton's salary cap cheating and reason that the AFL's reaction will be similar? Cousins indescretions are just bad publicity at the end of the day and nothing more. Salary cap cheating threatens the very heart of the AFL system and the AFL's credibility. If not addressed th e national comp and level playing field will collapse. And salary cap cheating involved deliberate, elaborate and sophisticated dishonesty over a long time to the AFL by carlton. Ther eagles as a club aren't guilty of anything. They did what they could to control the bushfire but it eventually got past the firebreak and got out of control and they have never lied to the AFL or enjoyed any advantages over the rest of the comp with what hapenned.

Don't worry, they won't. It's just opposition supporters jumping up and down and getting excited because -

a) they are stupid and can't think logically
b)they are jealous of our playing list (the best in the AFL) and want to bring us down to there level so they can compete in the coming years.
When has the AFL even made a negative comment about clubs handling of negative behaviour off field by players? They said nothing to carlton about fevola, nothing to collingwood about didak, nothing to freo about farmer. They don't even have the balls to say anything let alone impose punishment to these clubs. They won't and can't punish ours.

Why do other clubs posters compare cousins drug problems to carlton's salary cap cheating and reason that the AFL's reaction will be similar? Cousins indescretions are just bad publicity at the end of the day and nothing more. Salary cap cheating threatens the very heart of the AFL system and the AFL's credibility. If not addressed th e national comp and level playing field will collapse. And salary cap cheating involved deliberate, elaborate and sophisticated dishonesty over a long time to the AFL by carlton. Ther eagles as a club aren't guilty of anything. They did what they could to control the bushfire but it eventually got past the firebreak and got out of control and they have never lied to the AFL or enjoyed any advantages over the rest of the comp with what hapenned.

You are just embarassing yourself. With no Cousins and Judd, WCE list is now very beatable for at least half the competition. Kerr takes the best tagger each week, all of a sudden an average/good defence is under pressure and an average/poor attack loses its quality supply.

Anyways, back to the point of this thread. WCE can definitely be fined/punsihed, it just depends on the agreement the WCE have with the AFL. If the AFL said "you can have Cousins back, but make sure he is clean and we have no more PR problems", then they will be punished. The AFL will be able to claim that this saga tarnishes the AFL brand, which may affect sponsorships etc. This may lead to a monetary fine. the problem with fines, is that WCE are a rich club, a 250k fine means nothing to them. This is why draft pick penalties are a good idea. The loss of a first round pick effects each club equally, so is a sensible penalty for what the AFL considers a major wrong-doing.

Like all other opposition posters you still haven't justified or explained why and how the AFL can punish the eagles for one players off field indescretion/drug problems yet not impose punishment on any other AFL club for having one of their players test positive. The fact that cousins is a high profile player and attracts much attention each (this kind of fuss wouldn't happen with a player outside the top 20 players in the comp) doesn't come into it. If we get hit by the AFL so must everybody else. the AFL could not justify this as reasonable and just punishment in the courts.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So we are responsible for the off field behaviour of our players and will be punished for it but the other 15 clubs are not responsible for their players? Come down off your cloud, dreamer. The AFL would NEVER be able to defend that in court and thats where it would end up if they tried. There will be no punishment for the club beyond the deregistration of cousins. Every club has players with positive tests and what goes for one goes for all.

They wont have to, you're gone and will take what ever punishment they give you.

When you join a competition, you agree to abide by the decisions the governing body make.

If the AFL warned of fines, draft picks removed and players deregistered or suspended, you would have to be delusional to think they wont follow through with some of their threats. If they dont the AFL will lose massive face.

You keep saying put up an argument. Whats to argue.

If guilty, Cousins is history, he will never play again, he has betrayed the trust the club put in him and will never get that back.

In my opinion, they will definitely fine you and you will be lucky not to lose some picks, you dont agree, but that is your opinion.

Do you really think the Eagles will want to argue the point if they are penalised?

They will want this to go away ASAP.

As stated in many media areas, mismanaged both by the Eagles management and the AFL as well.

Hope things can sort themselves out for the good of the game.

Even Worsfold accused Cousins after the Finals loss of ripping the fabric of the club apart as reported in the Age.

Even Worsfold accused Cousins after the Finals loss of ripping the fabric of the club apart as reported in the Age.

forget the club and think about what its done to his family...football is minor compared to what this man is going to face in the near future. Hopefully he comes out of it ok and can move on with life, if not he's headed down the road that Ablett Snr is familiar with and you wouldn't wish that on anyone.

as for punishment, not going to happen...sacking him will be more than enough.

You are just embarassing yourself. With no Cousins and Judd, WCE list is now very beatable for at least half the competition. Kerr takes the best tagger each week, all of a sudden an average/good defence is under pressure and an average/poor attack loses its quality supply.

Anyways, back to the point of this thread. WCE can definitely be fined/punsihed, it just depends on the agreement the WCE have with the AFL. If the AFL said "you can have Cousins back, but make sure he is clean and we have no more PR problems", then they will be punished. The AFL will be able to claim that this saga tarnishes the AFL brand, which may affect sponsorships etc. This may lead to a monetary fine. the problem with fines, is that WCE are a rich club, a 250k fine means nothing to them. This is why draft pick penalties are a good idea. The loss of a first round pick effects each club equally, so is a sensible penalty for what the AFL considers a major wrong-doing.
There's a whole board for you to post your inane crap on this subject. This isn't it

Like all other opposition posters you still haven't justified or explained why and how the AFL can punish the eagles for one players off field indescretion/drug problems yet not impose punishment on any other AFL club for having one of their players test positive. The fact that cousins is a high profile player and attracts much attention each (this kind of fuss wouldn't happen with a player outside the top 20 players in the comp) doesn't come into it. If we get hit by the AFL so must everybody else. the AFL could not justify this as reasonable and just punishment in the courts.

Firstly your list minus cousins and judd has taken a massive hit. The way Geelong have moulded together and with their depth they have the best list in the league by far. Looking at the average age of their players they will be serious contenders for the next 3 years should they be able to keep everyone together and on the park... potentially the next Brisbane.

By the way player indescrestions can cause the club to be fined. One field even petty items such as kicking balls at the goal after the triple siren when the nets have gone down gains the club a fine... public liability situation gone crazy with people having balls hit their heads etc. However this is an onfield indescrestion, but an example. The fact that Ben Cousins has not tested positive is irrelevant, more incriminating is the fact that he has omitted to having a problem. An omission from a person in a public forum is much more incriminating than a test.

The fact that he is on annual leave might not mean much, as from memory the players have agreed to the three strikes system which includes being tested all year round. I just wonder as part of the the deal to let cousins play again you would assume that WCE were told to regularly test and monitor him. The fact that they weren't able to control him, and 24 hours on he is still on the WCE list is not working in their favour. The minimise the sanctions to the club they should of cut ties late last night and been done with the whole thing.

spot on! Just like the sex scandals tarnished the NRL and contributed to the super league etc. The bulldogs were hit pretty hard for that saga.

This is not about positive drug tests. The Eagles were given a public "final warning" earlier in the year after a Cousins related incident (one of many) about their senior and high profile players bringing the game into disrepute. No other clubs have had their leadership group, coach, and admin interrogated by the AFL to gain assurances. AFL will want their pay back.

Cousin's previous issues arose in the off season and the WCE had no knowledge yesterday afternoon that Cousins was even in the country. WCE was treating the AFL's supervision requirements with contempt and the AFL will not like the lax attitude of the WCE admin.

The AFL look a laughing stock if no serious penalty is imposed.

Cousins will be sacked, however i really think, as unfair as it is, that the club will suffer for his and chicks actions. the AFL has been made to look foolish especially with their 3 strikes drug policy, they will want to make an example. i think the eagles will be fined and will lose their first two rounds of picks, which would be extremly harsh and unfair on something that was effectively out of the clubs control, however with everything else going on throughout the last two years i think the afl will rule this one with no mercy.

It's not unfair, the reputatoin of the game has taken a battering over the past year - mostly stemming from WCE. The club should be punished in some way. They made conscious decisions over the past years to keep the druggies who could play good footy (Kerr, Cousins, Fletcher, Chick,...others??) and move on those who couldn't (Edwards, Gardy).

These decisions were made in full knowledge of potential outcomes and the AFL brand and reputation has been SEVERELY damaged by all of BC's indiscretions (and WCE's compliance) including the awful "Cops" style arrest all over the front pages of the papers this morning.

WCE rolled the dice and should be punished.

The AFL have no organsied and set penalties in place for clubs if players test positive for rec drugs 2 or 3 times. They just deregister the player. Hard to think what precedent or authority they have to punish the eagles. If they want to punish us they had better apply the same penalty to every other club who has a player that tests positive for drugs or behaves inappropiately (i.e. Didak at collingwood) or they can see us in court.

They will just want Cousins sacked, give us a few harsh words in the media but then leave it at that.

The best possible outcome for Cousins is a 12 month ban. A 2 year ban would be interesting as I think thats what the NRL hand out.

Sacking and deregistering Cuz would solve the AFL and the Eagles problems quickly and would be a very strong statement however how would everyone feel if Cuz committed suicide the next week.

The guy has major problems and there is no easy solution. I would support a two year ban.

It's not unfair, the reputatoin of the game has taken a battering over the past year - mostly stemming from WCE. The club should be punished in some way. They made conscious decisions over the past years to keep the druggies who could play good footy (Kerr, Cousins, Fletcher, Chick,...others??) and move on those who couldn't (Edwards, Gardy).

These decisions were made in full knowledge of potential outcomes and the AFL brand and reputation has been SEVERELY damaged by all of BC's indiscretions (and WCE's compliance) including the awful "Cops" style arrest all over the front pages of the papers this morning.

WCE rolled the dice and should be punished.

stop talking shit..the game has taken a battering thanks to a few players and not an entire team. The AFL gave permission for WCE to roll the dice so they're equally complicit. If you think that WCE not letting Ben play this year would avoid this situation then your as stupid as Farmer when he gets on the piss.

simple fact is that the man has serious health problems and the AFL who are keen to promote their "successful" drugs policy have failed one of their own as much as he's failed himself.

Remove this Banner Ad

What punishment will the AFL impose

Remove this Banner Ad

Back