What should we be drafting?

Remove this Banner Ad

mujii said:
Hansen.. Sellar.. Gibbs.. Our 1st pick = One of these 3. Take your pick. IMO I'd rather have a versatile KPP Hansen. Best in the pool according to mojo.

Agree with that. Take Hansen with our first pick and then load up on mids after that.

sorry my fellow Carlton fans i have to disagree.

I c it this way. We need both a good midfielder and a good KPP. Now im no expert but i have seen gibbs on tv and believe me, if this kid is only 17 he has something special

Now don't think i think Hansen is crap, in fact by the reports he sounds awes. Id love both

But id hate to be known as the club in 5 years time that we could have had that star gibbs but took the better than average Hansen and live to regret (like when richmond picked Fiora ahead of pavlich)

Although we need both, id take gibbs. thoughts?

john21 said:
sorry my fellow Carlton fans i have to disagree.

I c it this way. We need both a good midfielder and a good KPP. Now im no expert but i have seen gibbs on tv and believe me, if this kid is only 17 he has something special

Now don't think i think Hansen is crap, in fact by the reports he sounds awes. Id love both

But id hate to be known as the club in 5 years time that we could have had that star gibbs but took the better than average Hansen and live to regret (like when richmond picked Fiora ahead of pavlich)

Although we need both, id take gibbs. thoughts?

to summarise what you've said here:

* you've seen Gibbs play on TV (probably once) and think he is "something special"
* you've only heard reports on Hansen, yet you believe him to be only "better than average"

Therefore you want Gibbs. You may well be right that Gibbs is the best player, but surely a little more homework is required before making assessments.

Facts are, that our list is poor and is full of unproven kids. There is no guarantee that the likes of Russell, Bower, Hartlett & Blackwell are going to make it at AFL level.

With so many needs we simply have to take whoever we consider to be the best player available at the time, whether it's Gibbs, Hansen, Sellar, Thorp, Gumbleton or Selwood etc.....

Hands down Hansen for mine. It's not like we should be knocking back a CHB at this point anyway, but he's ahead of Gibbs from what I've seen.

Might change after the champs, but I doubt it. I wrote a brief synopsis of my top 3 on the other thread if you're interested.

I reckon we should draft someone that can simply play the game!!!
Seriously a genuine CHB. Lance is doing 2 jobs at the moment going between CHB & CHF.

Is that Hansen from WCE. He is a Victrorian and has said he would like to come back to Victoria one day. He would fit in beautifully alongside Lance who could play half forward and take the lesser opponent.

Informer said:
I reckon we should draft someone that can simply play the game!!!
Seriously a genuine CHB. Lance is doing 2 jobs at the moment going between CHB & CHF.

Is that Hansen from WCE. He is a Victrorian and has said he would like to come back to Victoria one day. He would fit in beautifully alongside Lance who could play half forward and take the lesser opponent.

Ashley Hannsen plays for West Coast, that is correct. The other Hansen is Lachlan Hansen who plays for Gippsland in the TAC Under 18's. Absolute gun KPP who could just about play anywhere down the spine.

We need to start winning enough games to at least attract sponsors and of course members, and with that said our greatest need at the moment is smack bang in the middle of the ground where a midfielder can have an impact almost straight away these days especially ones with the size (80kg 187cm) and immense ability of Gibbs, also the depth in terms of talls in this years draft runs deep and we will no doubt still get a formidable one with our second pick, where as the gun midfielders that is ones that can play from day one and have an immediate impact usually go in the top 10 and as witnessed by the likes of Judd make a big difference to a clubs ability to win games. In terms of Clearances i think we are about 10th or something in the league, but the stat that makes it interesting is that we are second for goals kicked after a quick clearance which shows that we have the goal scoring ability if we can get the quick clearances so therefore a midfielder with ball winning ability in the middle of the ground will give us more value than an extra tall in Defence or up Forward.:thumbsu:

I have a solution. If we win only 3 games this year does that mean we get a priority pick before 1st round. If so then we have both Gibbs & Hansen, for the sake of 1 or 2 more wins I would prefer to win 3 & get the extra pick.

Although I can't see Carlton not trying to win, would be awesome to get both of them.

Stiff they have took away the priority 1st rounders. You would have had the best 2 players in the best draft ever. Maybe would win a game in another 5 years with murphy, kennedy, gibbs, hansen

(Log in to remove this ad.)

murphster said:
We need to start winning enough games to at least attract sponsors and of course members, and with that said our greatest need at the moment is smack bang in the middle of the ground where a midfielder can have an impact almost straight away these days especially ones with the size (80kg 187cm) and immense ability of Gibbs, also the depth in terms of talls in this years draft runs deep and we will no doubt still get a formidable one with our second pick, where as the gun midfielders that is ones that can play from day one and have an immediate impact usually go in the top 10 and as witnessed by the likes of Judd make a big difference to a clubs ability to win games. In terms of Clearances i think we are about 10th or something in the league, but the stat that makes it interesting is that we are second for goals kicked after a quick clearance which shows that we have the goal scoring ability if we can get the quick clearances so therefore a midfielder with ball winning ability in the middle of the ground will give us more value than an extra tall in Defence or up Forward.:thumbsu:

Well there isn't a Chris Judd in the draft unfortunately. Gibbs will be playing on a flank for two to three years when he comes into the AFL. The best comparison would be Adam Cooney.

If you're looking for a hard, ready to go, bigger midfieldler you'd be looking at a Tom Hislop.

It's possible we could go for Gibbs if we had the first pick because of the deficences you've mentioned, but at the moment Hansen is the better player overall.

It's the old 'needs versus best player' argument I guess. Possible 'Go home' factor also.

OZBomb said:
Well there isn't a Chris Judd in the draft unfortunately. Gibbs will be playing on a flank for two to three years when he comes into the AFL. The best comparison would be Adam Cooney.

If you're looking for a hard, ready to go, bigger midfieldler you'd be looking at a Tom Hislop.

It's possible we could go for Gibbs if we had the first pick because of the deficences you've mentioned, but at the moment Hansen is the better player overall.

It's the old 'needs versus best player' argument I guess. Possible 'Go home' factor also.

I'd also be concerned about that if an non-South Australian team drafted Gibbs. Although he did say that he just wants to play AFL footy, and it didn't really matter where.

God I cant beleive im asking this. But we won too many games to be eligible for a priority this year (presuming we only win 3). Whats the new rule, less than 4 wins two years in a row and last twice for a priority ?

Remove this Banner Ad

What should we be drafting?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back