• Xavier Lindsay

Votes: 9 6.6%
  • Taj Hotton

Votes: 27 19.9%
  • Other

Votes: 11 8.1%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Interesting to see my man Kayle Gerreyn finish 6th in the agility test. He moves so well for a big man.

Also Thomas Sims doing well for a ruckman/fwd with the 7th best running vertical jump and 9th best agility test.

Although I note that Austin said we’re looking specifically for a key defender so it probably puts these two out of calculations (even though it would allow us to move Lemmey back if we took one).

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Yeah Gerreyn is a real chance to be a star. Massive watch, but our need is at the other end.

Sims has a lot going for him, but an absolutely shocking kick on what I have seen.

I refer you to one Adam Bentick in terms of your expectations here.

Yes Bentick wasn't quick or big, but relatively speaking today neither is Lord.

Much better user of the footy on the outside though.
star wars GIF

IMHO, Reid has elite hands, vision and reading the play. I worry about his lack of pace and penetration/punch by foot
If we're picking a weakness, then yes and maybe he does not have the elite top end speed of some other top players.

Jagga Smith v Reid - I think Smith finds the ball more, but is less polished with his kicking and hand skills.
They're both equal in many physical attributes.
Reid kicks more goals.

Just having a chat to a former recruiter and he had issues with Drapers kicking into the forward 50.
Sometimes I think we look for what players cannot do and ignore what they can do.

If the club is looking for speed. Grab Malakai Champion with a late pick.

Elite agility and speed at the combine. Natural goal and field kicker. Nephew of Eddie Betts.

Just needs to put on a 4-5kgs of muscle.

1728288768480.png

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Gabriel Stumpf

He is someone who I made a couple posts about early in the season asking the more experienced draft watchers what they thought. I watched one game he played for the Knights, and he stood out. I didn't follow his progress too closely for the rest of the season, but I said at the time that his profile would be a perfect match as a partner for Weitering. He generally plays forward, but the game I watched he was spent some time down back and it seemed like more of a natural fit to my untrained eye.

So, if the GCS looks gone, where do we look next? Don’t want to be ponying up an F1 for too late a pick though as that could get swallowed up by a Campo bid. We sit precariously to get a 2nd decent pick in now.
If we miss on GCS pick we can still try and pry out one of GWS' early picks or Freo's, teams we have good records of trading with. I'm expecting a lot of moving pieces this year in terms of draft picks.

If that fails target a couple of picks in the early 20s with our 1st/2nd rounder + an Owies or Kennedy type. GWS (21) Sydney (22) North (25) STK (27).

@12 > Joe Berry, Tobie Travaglia, Taj Hotton, Xavier Lindsay, Luke Trainor, Murphy Reid, Jobe Shanahan
@18-25 > Ollie Hannaford, Jesse Dattoli, Kayle Gerreyn Cooper Hynes, Matt Whitlock, Jonty Faull, Hamish Davis
@25-32 > Harry O'Farrell, Zak Johnson, Tom Gross, Christian Moraes, Harry Oliver, Clancy Dennis, Thomas Sims

Plenty of combinations of kids in the top 30 that would help us.

Personal favourites from those 3 groups would be

Berry, Whitlock, Johnson

I'd love us to take Gerreyn with a pick and try to transform him into a KPD but not sure how he'd go defending on the lead. He's bloody awesome at ground level for a big man and a bit of a cult figure. Can't imagine the club would be taking that punt when there's some decent KPD's in that range already though.

Austins also said we're taking 4 picks at the draft, so I'm not sure he'd got the 2 2nd rounders option. May just go extra hard for an extra pick inside 20.

Last edited:
If we miss on GCS pick we can still try and pry out one of GWS' early picks or Freo's, teams we have good records of trading with. I'm expecting a lot of moving pieces this year in terms of draft picks.

If that fails target a couple of picks in the early 20s with our 1st/2nd rounder + an Owies or Kennedy type. GWS (21) Sydney (22) North (25) STK (27).

@12 > Joe Berry, Tobie Travaglia, Taj Hotton, Xavier Lindsay, Luke Trainor, Murphy Reid, Jobe Shanahan
@18-25 > Ollie Hannaford, Jesse Dattoli, Kayle Gerreyn Cooper Hynes, Matt Whitlock, Jonty Faull, Hamish Davis
@25-32 > Harry O'Farrell, Zak Johnson, Tom Gross, Christian Moraes, Harry Oliver, Clancy Dennis, Thomas Sims

Berry, Whitlock, Johnson

I'd love us to take Gerreyn with a pick and try to transform him into a KPD but not sure how he'd go defending on the lead. He's bloody awesome at ground level for a big man and a bit of a cult figure. Can't imagine the club would be taking that punt when there's some decent KPD's in that range already though.

Austins also said we're taking 4 picks at the draft, so I'm not sure he'd got the 2 2nd rounders option. May just go extra hard for an extra pick inside 20.
Extra pick inside 20 sounds like it’s the plan. Austin will get it done I feel.

Imagine if we snared two of Travaglia, Berry, Trainor, Reid or Hannaford.

Houston would be a distant memory.

Berry, Whitlock, Johnson

Are there any genuine KPD in this draft? I dont mean the interceptor, third tall types either. Im only seeing one option in the top 30 prospects, but he can apparently kick goals like his brother too. Cant think of his name off the top of my head.

But not really hearing about any genuine KPD :think:

Extra pick inside 20 sounds like it’s the plan. Austin will get it done I feel.

Imagine if we snared two of Travaglia, Berry, Trainor, Reid or Hannaford.

Houston would be a distant memory.
Honestly I don't really 'want' Houston... I just don't want the Pies getting him.

Travaglia and Berry has been my wet dream for 3/4 the season and I've waffled on about them religiously but there really is some elite talent in our pick range this year. Last year we'd be just on the outskirts of the top end talent for the pool but the top 20-25 this year project as very good players.

I can fully understand why Austin's so keen. I just don't want the Pies having another chance at a flag with Houston before completely falling off the cliff.

Are there any genuine KPD in this draft? I dont mean the interceptor, third tall types either. Im only seeing one option in the top 30 prospects, but he can apparently kick goals like his brother too. Cant think of his name off the top of my head.

Not as much as previous years if I'm honest. Trainor, M.Whitlock and O'Farrell are probably the most recognized but 2 of them have concussion issues which is a concern. Tauru is an unknown commodity in that he could end up anywhere on the field but has enormous upside. Dennis, Mraz and others later in the draft too but tbh I see a few of the earlier KPF's ending up down back as I think they have supreme athletic talent but dogshite forward smarts.

Shanahan would be my first pick of any tall in this draft for the Blues on the basis that I think he'd transition to a KPD extremely well. Massive leap, sticky hands and great timing in the air.

Honestly I don't really 'want' Houston... I just don't want the Pies getting him.

Travaglia and Berry has been my wet dream for 3/4 the season and I've waffled on about them religiously but there really is some elite talent in our pick range this year. Last year we'd be just on the outskirts of the top end talent for the pool but the top 20-25 this year project as very good players.

I can fully understand why Austin's so keen. I just don't want the Pies having another chance at a flag with Houston before completely falling off the cliff.
I’m assuming the pies will get him. They’re a well run organisation who will always compete at a high level in this comp. They’re in the Geelong, Sydney category of avoiding bottoming out unfortunately. We will have to go through them in order to prove ourselves.

Tauru is a late bolter. Could be top ten. Trainor more of an interceptor. Travaglia the same / midfielder.

If the club is looking for speed. Grab Malakai Champion with a late pick.

Elite agility and speed at the combine. Natural goal and field kicker. Nephew of Eddie Betts.

Just needs to put on a 4-5kgs of muscle.

I noticed his stats in the game were quite impressive:

23 kicks
10 marks
3 goals
2 fights started... :D

Remove this Banner Ad

Analysis 2024 National Draft

Back