What the Irish Media Have To Say About Last Night

Remove this Banner Ad

Thats like Wayne Carey being judged harshly because he was better than anyone else.

The Aussies were better than us playing football.

I'd judging them harsly because of what they did when they weren't playing football.

It was disgraceful and cowardly acts. Holding someone down and throwing punches into his face ? Whats football got to do with that ? Whats sport got to do with that ? Whats sportsmanship got to do with that ?

Thats not allowed in boxing why would it be ok to do it in a football match ?

clashoftheash said:
The Aussies were better than us playing football.

I'd judging them harsly because of what they did when they weren't playing football.

It was disgraceful and cowardly acts. Holding someone down and throwing punches into his face ? Whats football got to do with that ? Whats sport got to do with that ? Whats sportsmanship got to do with that ?

Thats not allowed in boxing why would it be ok to do it in a football match ?
It wouldn't Jim but the question has to asked whether it was a bit each way.

AndSmithMustScore said:
There are some flaws to your reasoning,

The kicking in Gaelic football is quite good, it's standard shouldnt be judged on the IR series.

What is not taken into account is the actual rules and playing style of Gaelic Football that are not seen in the IR games.

In Gaelic Football you do not look to hit a man on his chest but to place it in front of him or into open space so he may run onto it.

Why?

Because hitting a man on a chest gives no major advantage as there's no stoppage required when a mark is taken and it gives the defender an easier task to spoil him.

Kicking the round ball isn't actually that hard, it merely requires a simple change of mindset from shifting to kicking with the out and instep of the boot rather than along the line of tongue to toe and not trying to kick the skin off it.

The hardest aspect for people not brought up on gaelic is the lifting and soloing skills.

These are the skills an AFL coach couldnt influence.
The quotes about the kicking came from Irish newspapers ! The point they make is that, if a bunch of blokes can master the art after a bit of practise, how come the Irish, who are brought up with this, can't do it better. The issue with the round ball is judging it's flight and bounce and this is where the Irish have made our guys look clumsy by running them under the ball. I know that Gaelic doesn't pay the mark but kicking the ball out in front is also a major part of AFL. Where that fails is when the opponent is wearing you like a glove, and his mates are dropping into the space in front. This tactic, which requires hard running and discipline, is bread-and-butter in AFL. My point was that the Irish had no plan B when confronted with this .. and the newspaper quotes were an interesting view about the impact of this on the Gaelic game.

mark73 said:
It wouldn't Jim but the question has to asked whether it was a bit each way.

There is an assumption amongst alot of you aussies that even though nothing has been caught on camera or theres any evidence apart from the genius who can lip read that whatever went on behind the ball the Irish started and then got their comeupence. Where is the evidence to back up these statements?

OldLion said:
The quotes about the kicking came from Irish newspapers ! The point they make is that, if a bunch of blokes can master the art after a bit of practise, how come the Irish, who are brought up with this, can't do it better. The issue with the round ball is judging it's flight and bounce and this is where the Irish have made our guys look clumsy by running them under the ball. I know that Gaelic doesn't pay the mark but kicking the ball out in front is also a major part of AFL. Where that fails is when the opponent is wearing you like a glove, and his mates are dropping into the space in front. This tactic, which requires hard running and discipline, is bread-and-butter in AFL. My point was that the Irish had no plan B when confronted with this .. and the newspaper quotes were an interesting view about the impact of this on the Gaelic game.

Irish papers write bollox day in day out. Only a month ago they were preaching about the leap forward football has taken in the last few years. One loss in Ireland and the press ******** on you and hang you out to dry.
The reason our kicking was poor is because the tackle is alien to us and our lads minds were not on the passing but wondering where the hit was coming from. You saw at least 5 guys ran down and tackled cos they slowed to shoot, but this is just natural instinct as you'd very seldom kick for scores in full flight. Kicking from marks is also alien to some guys as most teams have a designated free taker and the ones on our team who do this regularly only collected about 6-7 marks in the series.
As smith must score pointed out a far superior pass in Gaelic is for the ball to bounce about 10 yards in front of the intended players run. It kills the spin makin it easier to collect and the player can concentrate more on shaking off his marker.

Let_it_long said:
There is an assumption amongst alot of you aussies that even though nothing has been caught on camera or theres any evidence apart from the genius who can lip read that whatever went on behind the ball the Irish started and then got their comeupence. Where is the evidence to back up these statements?

Being there on the night, it was plain to see the Irish were involved in niggle and snipes all night, with the aussie answer being to put them on their ass. Regardless if the retaliation was fierce or not, the Irish took a dive and then proceeded to bounce straight back up and look for the nearest ref to complain to. It looked to be a tactic the Irish were using, but i guess the numerous trips to the dirt took its toll on the night.

Let_it_long said:
..The reason our kicking was poor is because the tackle is alien to us and our lads minds were not on the passing but wondering where the hit was coming from. You saw at least 5 guys ran down and tackled cos they slowed to shoot, but this is just natural instinct as you'd very seldom kick for scores in full flight. Kicking from marks is also alien to some guys as most teams have a designated free taker and the ones on our team who do this regularly only collected about 6-7 marks in the series.
Well, maybe you guys should train for this contest rather than rely on what you 'normally' do. We have forwards who are expected to kick accurately but EVERYONE is expected to step up when required. Also slowing to shoot for goal .. amazingly this is also a skill in AFL - kicking accurately when under the pump. Am I missing the point here or is this game about Aussies having to alter their skill sets thru' training hard etc, whereas Irish just front up without any training / tactics because they are all engaged in full 9-5 jobs ? Because of the rules, the nature of what a contest is has changed. Train for it and if you don't, don't expect your opponents to stand aside.

OldLion said:
Well, maybe you guys should train for this contest rather than rely on what you 'normally' do. We have forwards who are expected to kick accurately but EVERYONE is expected to step up when required. Also slowing to shoot for goal .. amazingly this is also a skill in AFL - kicking accurately when under the pump. Am I missing the point here or is this game about Aussies having to alter their skill sets thru' training hard etc, whereas Irish just front up without any training / tactics because they are all engaged in full 9-5 jobs ? Because of the rules, the nature of what a contest is has changed. Train for it and if you don't, don't expect your opponents to stand aside.

I wasn't, i was just explaining why our kicking was poor. If we had brought a larger team this wouldn't have been a problem because they would have dealt with the tackle better. I've stated ye were way better on many occasions, why so defensive?

Johnson's initial coathanger aside, which was a spur of the moment act but definitely worth a suspension, both sides were equally to blame for the spot fires.

The Irish tried a lot of niggle early, numerous little punches and kicks, but the Aussies also had a crack. FWIW I'd suggest the Aussies take greater umbrage at the kick than the coathanger, possibly a big cultural difference.

The whinging that emanated from the Irish camp is embarrassing. The number of times a scuffle was started by an Irish player, who then proceeded to curl up in a ball when he was retaliated at, would be in double figures. You can start crying when you don't initiate, don't sook after you have been beaten.

AndSmithMustScore said:
Boys. Boys, Boys stop fighting.

Everyone knows Munster produces the most All Ireland winners in Hurling and Football ;)

:D

My dad's side is from Kerry, my mum's side is from Cork so there's usually someone in my family celebrating at the end of every September.

Best rugby county, too!

About revolutioning the game in Ireland, i really doubt that. See one of the major problems nowadays with Gaelic Football is very lately (Last 5 years) there has being much much more emphasis on speed, agility over the "hard" men. Rules on contact etc have become 100 times stricter then they were 10 years ago in my opinion.

LOL!

My old man is a cranky old-timer who's been calling for the tackle to return for years - reckon it's not the game he grew up with.

Though it doesn't stop him going nuts every time Kerry win the All-Ireland.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

What the Irish Media Have To Say About Last Night

Remove this Banner Ad

Back