What the supporters want - A message to Andrew Fagan

Remove this Banner Ad

Look you are right mate.....
But the few, matches i have seen in Melb,Geel & even the PAP i never saw them playing simulated crowd noises through the speaker!

They did at the Carlton MCG game I was at. They had even more stupider stuff going on on the big screen than we do.

Anyone go to this?

Yep, I got an invite, probably because I had written to Fages with a couple of suggestions.

There were 18 people there, plus Fages, Tom Rayner (Supporter Services) and Suttleworth (Communications?).

We sat in a circle, Fages led the discussion on the match day experience but when we got to club-member interaction Shutts took up a lot of time telling us about the demands on the players/how hard his job is (depending which way you want to interpret it).

I came away frustrated and disappointed. (It must be one of the perverse rules of any meeting that the people who know the least talk the most. There were 3-4 self-important twats who did most of the talking, much to my frustration and it seems, DJ75's.)

I doubt Fages learned too much from the meeting he didn't already know, but I'm encouraged that he is listening to DJ75's match-day idea.

At the end Fages said it was useful and he will do it again. He's a masochist if he does, unless he hand picks some younger members. The 3 younger members there did make useful contributions but could hardly get a word in due to the old farts doing all the talking. One deluded individual said he was the 19th man, and then proceeded to tell a long story which as far as I could tell said he didn't actually go to the games! Or was that another old fart, hard to remember?

The good news is that Fages is focussed on the match day experience and has thought about it a lot.

- he said the AFL CEO told all the other clubs' CEOs that Port and the Crows have the best match-day experience
- our match day experience is way better than anything the Brumbies did, they didn't really invest in it much at all
- he's talked to Kieth Thomas, who said the Port song/scarf thing (cloned from Liverpool whether they realise it or not) just sort of happened

So Fages knows:
- the ten minutes from just before the players run out until the bounce down is the crucial time
- he wants to redefine the club, to have a unique Crows match-day experience
- he knows the best match day atmosphere is where 50,000 are doing the same thing
- he knows this has to happen 'organically', from the fans up, and if it's too manufactured by the club it won't work

So anyone can write to Fages and you might get an invite. Personally, I think writing to him would be more effective anyway than going to one of these meetings.

Yup, that is the Tribe which I was a part of. There was a core group of 10 - 20 of us who turned up every week. The rest who got in turned up to the first game, got their free tickets for the year and were never seen again. Most of the guys only had a couple of drinks but were accused of excessive drinking all the time. Also there was some chants that got nixed pretty quickly because there are lines you don't cross. We had a couple of guys from the Reds who brought some of the soccer style chants.

Sounds like it was a lot of fun. Maybe rather than just hand out tickets it could be made out of existing members somewhere. It would mean that people would be more likely to go given that they'd already paid for the season. The shirts could be the only thing donated by the club. Because all games are basically sell outs anyway it would be difficult to do it without using existing members. Someone could source out previous member of The Tribe, and hold auditions for new members, then shuffle some seating arrangements around to have them sit together, preferably at the northern end somewhere. Eddie's pocket would be perfect. In front of the 19th man flag, at the opposing end to the cheer squad, near the more likely to be inebriated people on the hill and regularly visible on TV creating awareness of the group. In time it could be a sought after club, with a waiting list of young people waiting to get involved. I feel as though the move to Adelaide Oval has renewed enthusiasm and passion in a lot of people and a 'Tribe' like group would flourish.

As for the noise factor, I would have agreed in the past that Adelaide supporters as a whole do not make as much noise, especially at AAMI Stadium, however the Collingwood game, the second Showdown, and certain moments in other games such as the Eddie Betts goal versus North Melbourne showed me that our supporters can be every bit as loud as those from other teams, this year in particular.

But you're talking about being loud at big moments and in big games. If we're true supporters we need to be loud all the time.

In the second qtr against GWS we should be loud. At quarter time against Brisbabe we should be loud. M
Games against Port and Collingwood, the loudness should be a given, not something we hang our hat on.

The concessional swear word IS a breach. Don't do it. You can chant and bring a fun atmosphere without swearing and even *gasp* without drinking. :rolleyes: I was a part of the Tribe so don't try and make claims you know nothing about. The club does want that intimidating crowd aspect, but we have a very varied supporter base from very young children up to the elderly. It has to be welcoming and inclusive to all.

Etc etc etc.
There you go again. Drinking alcohol isn't a crime and the vast majority do it responsibly and in doing so increase the crowd atmosphere as it lets their guard down. Embrace it.

Do you go to Adelaide United games? The whole fan area goes "you're shit, aaah" to the goalkeeper at every goal kick. Now last I checked shit is a sweat and probably going to get censored on here.

But the crowd still does it and everyone loves it. If Ad Utd tried to get the fans to stop, many people would just give up because it's harmless.

I just want the club not to get its knickers twisted that some types might get offended by passionate support with no caveats which is all we are really after.

There you go again. Drinking alcohol isn't a crime and the vast majority do it responsibly and in doing so increase the crowd atmosphere as it lets their guard down. Embrace it.

Do you go to Adelaide United games? The whole fan area goes "you're shit, aaah" to the goalkeeper at every goal kick. Now last I checked shit is a sweat and probably going to get censored on here.

But the crowd still does it and everyone loves it. If Ad Utd tried to get the fans to stop, many people would just give up because it's harmless.

I just want the club not to get its knickers twisted that some types might get offended by passionate support with no caveats which is all we are really after.
Not everyone. It's a crap chant. As a goalkeeper I can tell you I couldn't care less what is said while I'm kicking.

I don't think NikkiNoo is saying you can't drink but rather that you don't need to drink to be loud and supportive, and have a good time.

As for Adelaide United games, yes the crowds can be loud but they also quite often cross the line that shouldn't be crossed. I can't think of any other sporting event in SA where the crowd often needs more medical assistance than the players.

But if we're talking strictly noise then I'd pick a 36ers game. Between the crowd's chearing and chanting and everything that gets pumped through the speakers you'll be lucky if you still have your hearing by the time you leave the arena.

They also have cheerleaders. :D

Spot on fabs33 as there seems to be this continual push on here that if we aimed things more at those 20-40 year old males who like a drink the crowd would be louder. I call absolute bulldust on that theory.

Comparing an aussie rules crowd to a soccer crowd in terms of how they make noise is just wrong. They are completely different games. You can't do chants like in soccer that work in AFL. We tried as part of the Tribe. (Had some of the Red Army boys as part of the Tribe) Other sports like Basketball and NFL have a lot of breaks where they get the crowd involved there via the use of announcers and music. They do that now here in AFL and nobody really likes it. Also what people forget is that Adelaide Oval is open ended. There can be a lot of noise being made but if you are sitting in certain spots you can't hear it. Feedback I've had from players is that they most definitely can hear it.

We can get better, a lot better yes, but that involves the team winning games and we have a quite good base of crowd participation already occurring. I like that Fages isn't sitting back on the laurels that the AFL are throwing our way, but looking to improve. It's nowhere near the deathly silence and no crowd participation that some on here seem to imply though.

Spot on fabs33 as there seems to be this continual push on here that if we aimed things more at those 20-40 year old males who like a drink the crowd would be louder. I call absolute bulldust on that theory.

Comparing an aussie rules crowd to a soccer crowd in terms of how they make noise is just wrong. They are completely different games. You can't do chants like in soccer that work in AFL. We tried as part of the Tribe. (Had some of the Red Army boys as part of the Tribe) Other sports like Basketball and NFL have a lot of breaks where they get the crowd involved there via the use of announcers and music. They do that now here in AFL and nobody really likes it. Also what people forget is that Adelaide Oval is open ended. There can be a lot of noise being made but if you are sitting in certain spots you can't hear it. Feedback I've had from players is that they most definitely can hear it.

We can get better, a lot better yes, but that involves the team winning games and we have a quite good base of crowd participation already occurring. I like that Fages isn't sitting back on the laurels that the AFL are throwing our way, but looking to improve. It's nowhere near the deathly silence and no crowd participation that some on here seem to imply though.
I've had the best conversations with supporters I've never spoken to before on the way to and from games last season. The move to AO is engaging the supporters more and there is more unity. From that it can only get better.

Have to say the Strikers games are very well done. Different game I know, but they have done a hell of a job in a short space of time to engage with, and convert some big crowd numbers.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yep, I got an invite, probably because I had written to Fages with a couple of suggestions.

There were 18 people there, plus Fages, Tom Rayner (Supporter Services) and Suttleworth (Communications?).

We sat in a circle, Fages led the discussion on the match day experience but when we got to club-member interaction Shutts took up a lot of time telling us about the demands on the players/how hard his job is (depending which way you want to interpret it).

I came away frustrated and disappointed. (It must be one of the perverse rules of any meeting that the people who know the least talk the most. There were 3-4 self-important twats who did most of the talking, much to my frustration and it seems, DJ75's.)

I doubt Fages learned too much from the meeting he didn't already know, but I'm encouraged that he is listening to DJ75's match-day idea.

At the end Fages said it was useful and he will do it again. He's a masochist if he does, unless he hand picks some younger members. The 3 younger members there did make useful contributions but could hardly get a word in due to the old farts doing all the talking. One deluded individual said he was the 19th man, and then proceeded to tell a long story which as far as I could tell said he didn't actually go to the games! Or was that another old fart, hard to remember?

The good news is that Fages is focussed on the match day experience and has thought about it a lot.

- he said the AFL CEO told all the other clubs' CEOs that Port and the Crows have the best match-day experience
- our match day experience is way better than anything the Brumbies did, they didn't really invest in it much at all
- he's talked to Kieth Thomas, who said the Port song/scarf thing (cloned from Liverpool whether they realise it or not) just sort of happened

So Fages knows:
- the ten minutes from just before the players run out until the bounce down is the crucial time
- he wants to redefine the club, to have a unique Crows match-day experience
- he knows the best match day atmosphere is where 50,000 are doing the same thing
- he knows this has to happen 'organically', from the fans up, and if it's too manufactured by the club it won't work

So anyone can write to Fages and you might get an invite. Personally, I think writing to him would be more effective anyway than going to one of these meetings.

Have to agree 100% with you. Everything you have said is correct.
So which one were you? :)

I only go to a couple of United games a year, with a couple of die hard mates, but the 'adelaide' -> 'United' chant where the supporter group say the first part, and then point at the other stands for the next part, is what of the most awesome things I've been a part of as a crowd member.

I only go to a couple of United games a year, with a couple of die hard mates, but the 'adelaide' -> 'United' chant where the supporter group say the first part, and then point at the other stands for the next part, is what of the most awesome things I've been a part of as a crowd member.

The shanty 'South Australia' is being discussed on another thread but I reckon the key opening lines could well be adapted to what you have posted here.
One end sing a line based on 'In SA I was born'.......then the return from other end based on 'Heave away' 'Haul Away'

The shanty 'South Australia' is being discussed on another thread but I reckon the key opening lines could well be adapted to what you have posted here.
One end sing a line based on 'In SA I was born'.......then the return from other end based on 'Heave away' 'Haul Away'

Well here's something I knocked up in a couple of spare minutes. Somewhat pathetic, but someone might build on it. Need to get rid of heave away haul away as not relevant.

I'm South Australian And not torn
Kick away Kick away
Crows forever we're not torn
The team for South Australians

Kick away you football Kings
Kick away kick away
Hear us when we chant and sing
The team for South Australians.

The group 'The Pride' had the idea to buy a bunch of crow call whistles. kind of like this

It would be cool if the club sold these as merchandise and gave them to every 11 game member to take along on game day, 40,000 of them could make a hell of a noise once the crowd works out when to use them at the same moments.

The group 'The Pride' had the idea to buy a bunch of crow call whistles. kind of like this

It would be cool if the club sold these as merchandise and gave them to every 11 game member to take along on game day, 40,000 of them could make a hell of a noise once the crowd works out when to use them at the same moments.

I'd love this especially at Collingwood games. Eddie would have a meltdown.

Tobe honest I saw them and they really don't make enough noise to be effective. The sound they do make would just be annoying to sit next to all game too

I reckon I'm old fashioned but if Fages can deliver a successful onfield programme then not much else matters. If he can't, then not much else matters

But that might just be me
You have a point. But just as the way we win can make a difference to the experience, (I remember vowing never to watch one error riddled win over Melbourne ever again), the atmosphere at the oval can also add to the experience. We had a lot of good wins at AAMI under Neil Craig, yet that didn't stop the wingers complaining about the stadium and atmosphere and keep the crowd numbers dropping. I think great atmosphere and crowd involvement will only help keep the crowds turning up especially if we have a lot of poor results.

Lets be honest, we have to have one of the most quiet supporter bases in the comp! Simple as that, how many times this year we had 45k+ crowds yet you could hear a pin drop

What a load of bs. Our supporters can get very loud when they want to. Maybe they just aren't all that excited by what they've seen the last few years. Do you really blame them?

I reckon I'm old fashioned but if Fages can deliver a successful onfield programme then not much else matters. If he can't, then not much else matters

Fages can walk and chew gum at the same time though.

Actually I sorta made your point at the meeting - the match day experience is the 'cream on the cake' but the most important thing is a cake that has heart and commitment and skill and 100% fibre.....(gives up on analogy at this point)

Remove this Banner Ad

What the supporters want - A message to Andrew Fagan

Remove this Banner Ad

Back