What the supporters want - A message to Andrew Fagan

Remove this Banner Ad

I am becoming more hooked on the South Australia song. This actually offers some real possibilities.
Firstly it is 'our' (SA)song. Most Australians would know it. It's subject and lyrics are clearly attached to this State and cannot easily be pirated off to any other location.
It is stirring when presented with a lead voice doing the 'intro' or caller lines, followed by a chorus of voices chanting the 'return'. Stirring, in that the concept of the 'return' creates tension urging an emotional melodic response in most people. A response that for the most part would be participative, hearty and absorbing. People know the tune, know the structure and can easily extend to some levels of passion. The attractiveness of vocal involvement by the crowd at either ends of the ground would be superb. Pitched at the right level, volume and power I see little chance of cringitis. All ages would/can readily participate. The key is call then response from different ends of the ground.
I can easily visualize say Jimmy Barnes doing the caller lines. Excitable, fervent, penetrating and overwhelming on home match days at AO.

It could be packaged, 'owned' and easily become the signature tune of the Crows. It is tailor made to be adapted and married to the AFC in the same way 'You'll never walk alone' is to Liverpool. Not only can the (SA)song be a mood creator, a linking and inclusive identifier, but can also be a rousing call-to-arms after every goal. We may not have all been 'born in SA' but the Crows certainly were.

Professionally packaged it would take little time for a properly related version to become an outstanding attachment and distinctive, undeniable signature tradition with the Crows. Packaged and presented (initially from the centre of the oval) in a 'learning' manner until supporters pick-up and run with it. What is on offer here I feel is a unique opportunity to grab something enduring and iconic which is sitting 'on our doorstep'. Something we can take ownership of in a clear unambiguous non - plagiaristic move. Why, the lyrics are so suited to working out for AFC.

I took 5 mins to work this, but I'm sure much better variations could be achieved -

In South Australia the Crows were born
Come what may we're here to stay
With pride our tri-colours are worn
We're the pride of South Australia

Heave (?) away you rollin' (?) kings
Kick away Here today
Heave away Oh hear me sing
The Pride of South Australia
etc

Take a look/listen to youtube version by Fishermans Friend posted by Pdub somewhere on here. Fantastic.

Last edited:
What a load of bs. Our supporters can get very loud when they want to. Maybe they just aren't all that excited by what they've seen the last few years. Do you really blame them?
Man, maybee i need to sit where you do!

I do agree the club has been a let down last few years. And to be honest, in a sense I blame us the members for letting certain figures, ruin our club!

But I still feel that we go quiet very quick......I wasnt in Australia in the 90's, so I never experienced the "glory days" but every bit of footage I have seen at Footy Park is absolutely awe inspiring! Just brilliant looked like a real tough crowd for visiting teams to deal with! I dont know where that has gone in the last 10 or so years....

I am becoming more hooked on the South Australia song. This actually offers some real possibilities.
Firstly it is 'our' (SA)song. Most Australians would know it. It's subject and lyrics are clearly attached to this State and cannot easily be pirated off to any other location.
It is stirring when presented with a lead voice doing the 'intro' or caller lines, followed by a chorus of voices chanting the 'return'. Stirring, in that the concept of the 'return' creates tension urging an emotional melodic response in most people. A response that for the most part would be participative, hearty and absorbing. People know the tune, know the structure and can easily extend to some levels of passion. The attractiveness of vocal involvement by the crowd at either ends of the ground would be superb. Pitched at the right level, volume and power I see little chance of cringitis. All ages would/can readily participate. The key is call then response from different ends of the ground.
I can easily visualize say Jimmy Barnes doing the caller lines. Excitable, fervent, penetrating and overwhelming on home match days at AO.

It could be packaged, 'owned' and easily become the signature tune of the Crows. It is tailor made to be adapted and married to the AFC in the same way 'You'll never walk alone' is to Liverpool. Not only can the (SA)song be a mood creator, a linking and inclusive identifier, but can also be a rousing call-to-arms after every goal. We may not have all been 'born in SA' but the Crows certainly were.

Professionally packaged it would take little time for a properly related version to become an outstanding attachment and distinctive, undeniable signature tradition with the Crows. Packaged and presented (initially from the centre of the oval) in a 'learning' manner until supporters pick-up and run with it. What is on offer here I feel is a unique opportunity to grab something enduring and iconic which is sitting 'on our doorstep'. Something we can take ownership of in a clear unambiguous non - plagiaristic move. Why, the lyrics are so suited to working out for AFC.

I took 5 mins to work this, but I'm sure much better variations could be achieved -

Kick away Here today
etc

Take a look/listen to youtube version by Fishermans Friend posted by Pdub somewhere on here. Fantastic.
Give up on that Pride stuff maybe?

Firstly it is 'our' (SA)song.

This is the only suggestion I like. I agree, it's traditionalism will help reduce the cringe factor, so with that in mind I wouldn't change the lyrics at all. Keep it as is, although I'm sure a few do-gooders will have an issue with the whiskey reference.

Think who you could get to lead off the chants, especially those with an SA background. Jimmy Barnes you've said, but also Paul Kelly, Glenn Shorrock. Could then go and try for David Campbell, and then for a home final, go all out and get the Pogues or Dropkick Murphy's or Flogging Molly down for a special gig.

It's fun, it's upbeat, has deliberate crowd participation and above all else it is about us. Put me down for a yes.

it's traditionalism will help reduce the cringe factor, so with that in mind I wouldn't change the lyrics at all. Keep it as is

According to wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/South_Australia_(song)

Like most shanties of this type, "South Australia" was sung to a flexible combination of customary verses, floating verses from within the general chanty repertoire, and verses improvised in the moment or particular to individual singers.

So traditionally the song is changed to suit the audience and singers.

I do have quite a fondness for that sea shanty and it's one that is easy to join in or clap along too. The time that really needs the crowd to get involved is three quarter time. Either the team needs a lift or they need a reminder that there is only one quarter left to go. Instead of that stupid OTR thing which proves the stupidity of the majority of the crowd, I remember the Freo final where the crowd did the adelaide chant for the break. The club remembers that moment well and really would love something like that to happen regularly to support the team.

I do have quite a fondness for that sea shanty and it's one that is easy to join in or clap along too. The time that really needs the crowd to get involved is three quarter time. Either the team needs a lift or they need a reminder that there is only one quarter left to go. Instead of that stupid OTR thing which proves the stupidity of the majority of the crowd, I remember the Freo final where the crowd did the adelaide chant for the break. The club remembers that moment well and really would love something like that to happen regularly to support the team.
I'm not sure the club remembers that at all because it has made replicating that moment impossible with the wall-to-wall advertisements and inane blather over the loudspeakers every break

In a similar vein was the three quarter time triple wave in the game against Fitzroy when Modra brought us back from the dead. Was awesome. Manufatcuting that type of atomosphere is very difficult if not impossible.

When you said Sea Shanty I thought a first you meant the deep fried snack of crab and veg, quite like them. But I don't think it would go down well, too much of a Freo wannabe sort of song. Don't even know why we need a chant or song as it all come across as try hard band wagon, but if we are going down the path it needs to be original, simple and tribal.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

According to wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/South_Australia_(song)

So traditionally the song is changed to suit the audience and singers.
Appreciate that but I think as soon as we start trying to tailor it to footy or crows it comes off as try-hardy.

Case in point, YNWA has nothing to do with soccer/football/Liverpool. Ditto forever blowing bubbles, blue moon, sweet Caroline (baseball), etc.

Sounds like it was a lot of fun. Maybe rather than just hand out tickets it could be made out of existing members somewhere. It would mean that people would be more likely to go given that they'd already paid for the season. The shirts could be the only thing donated by the club. Because all games are basically sell outs anyway it would be difficult to do it without using existing members. Someone could source out previous member of The Tribe, and hold auditions for new members, then shuffle some seating arrangements around to have them sit together, preferably at the northern end somewhere. Eddie's pocket would be perfect. In front of the 19th man flag, at the opposing end to the cheer squad, near the more likely to be inebriated people on the hill and regularly visible on TV creating awareness of the group. In time it could be a sought after club, with a waiting list of young people waiting to get involved. I feel as though the move to Adelaide Oval has renewed enthusiasm and passion in a lot of people and a 'Tribe' like group would flourish.

As for the noise factor, I would have agreed in the past that Adelaide supporters as a whole do not make as much noise, especially at AAMI Stadium, however the Collingwood game, the second Showdown, and certain moments in other games such as the Eddie Betts goal versus North Melbourne showed me that our supporters can be every bit as loud as those from other teams, this year in particular.
Like it. Based near scoreboard...iconic scoreboard group. Also to join u need to be nominated by existing tribe member...to ensure tribe types required

Wr
The shanty 'South Australia' is being discussed on another thread but I reckon the key opening lines could well be adapted to what you have posted here.
One end sing a line based on 'In SA I was born'.......then the return from other end based on 'Heave away' 'Haul Away'
Wrong forum...try fremantle

Saw something novel tonight at the Gabba in a Brisbane Heat BBL game.

So the big screen has video of some of the star players with a kind of animated background, and the players were were dancing and fist pumping - leading/urging the crowd in making some noise.

Have to say it looked very effective and the crowd loved it - went bananas ( as they do in Qld!) and made huge noise as a result.

It will work fine its about SA.. Are there appropriate songs about crows. I had a search and found Nada.

The group 'The Pride' had the idea to buy a bunch of crow call whistles. kind of like this

That is stupid as hell, and we'd be on the end of plenty of jokes from the rest of the league, but I can't help but feel it's a really fun gimmick.
The sound of crows circling overhead is a legitimately unsettling noise, and kids would have a lot of fun with it. I'm sure it'd get annoying after a quarter. But if the club put video cues up, as they have in the past for cheering, I doubt the crow whistle would be abused by too many outside of those moments (once the novelty has worn off for the majority of the crowd).

Bound for South Australia at 3/4 time or before the game is also a nice idea.

Kick away Here today
etc

Well done Skoobydoo, I like it.
To lose the Freo reference with the Heave away, maybe we could change 'Heave away' to Cheer away ?

Remove this Banner Ad

What the supporters want - A message to Andrew Fagan

Remove this Banner Ad

Back