What They're Saying - The Bulldogs Media Thread - Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dahlhaus was injured for a few weeks and Hunter has his own critics from the Doggies supporters.
Yes that may be true but I dont think you can rate Merrett based on this year as no one took the bombers too seriously, to have him in the top 25 dosent make too much sense to me I wouldnt swap him for Caleb who didnt get in the top 50

"I am a different player and if you asked every one of our players, you’d get a different version of the same story."

Not being greedy but wouldn't it be good if some of the other players wrote their versions.
I believe Bob Murphy is currently working on a book. I assume it will, at least partially, cover his story this year.

Yes that may be true but I dont think you can rate Merrett based on this year as no one took the bombers too seriously, to have him in the top 25 dosent make too much sense to me I wouldnt swap him for Caleb who didnt get in the top 50
lol Zach Merrett is an absolute gun mate. Take off the Bulldogs glasses.

His not top 50
8th in the league for each of disposals, effective possessions and I50's per game. 19th in the league for tackles per game.

Pretty much carried the Essendon midfield. Unquestionably in the top 50 performers for 2016. Cya

Yeah like your 10 goals up
As The opposition coach are you going to care whether he is doing well
Is the opposition mid field going to care?
You could not possibly grade him on this year.
He will be solid next year but he won't be getting anywhere near 19 brownlow votes

He will be solid next year but he won't be getting anywhere near 19 brownlow votes
Yes because you coach for future games as well.
He's a gun.

Should see the melts on the north board re Greg Millers' comments that the Dogs have a better opportunity than North to capitalise on our flag than theirs in 96. Apparently we are kept alive by the AFL for TV revenue, whereas Norf are a financial powerhouse. :$:rolleyes:

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Should see the melts on the north board re Greg Millers' comments that the Dogs have a better opportunity than North to capitalise on our flag than theirs in 96. Apparently we are kept alive by the AFL for TV revenue, whereas Norf are a financial powerhouse. :$:rolleyes:
They are a strange lot over on that board! Apparently they also expected a top 10 pick for a 32 year old that at bes has only 3/4 yrs left.
If by being "kept alive" they mean helping the AFL score record ratings and earn millions of $ in TV rights then I guess we are along with there club and many others.
It always makes me laugh when I hear that the TV rights $ is all due to the northern states involvement. Whilst this has some impact when you consider that re runs of "Murder she Wrote" outrate most AFL games in NSQ and QLD I cant see how that argument stacks up. TV networks pay for ratings that get advertising $ and number of games of which ourselves and Norf all form a part.

Agree he was able to go and do as he pleased.
Thats not to say he is a dud just saying he is not top 50 and I may have doggies glasses on but i still wouldn't swap him for Dal, Hunter or Caleb nor do I think our club would.

Sam Mitchell to West Coast?

All over the media.
He confirmed the story on SEN this morning so its not just a rumour anymore but it isnt a done deal either. Apparently Clarko suggested it to him which sounds strange to me, I would rather play the hawks without him than with him

Spot the odd one out

3782e666-212b-4fc9-ae54-85c6637d1242_800.jpg

That is one doomed pick.
The older ones are all at different clubs from where they started.... newer ones have been injured, not played much yet or looking to move clubs.
Can we make a note of never picking at 32?
Remember when pick 4 was cursed?

Adam Cooney reveals what trade period is really like for AFL players
334caaa59dfc81b34268a82e4b34708f

Adam Cooney, Herald Sun
October 12, 2016 11:33am
Subscriber only
334caaa59dfc81b34268a82e4b34708f

TO STEAL UFC champ Conor McGregor’s famous quote: “Break out the red panties baby, it’s the trade period.”

This statement (or words to that effect) echo from AFL fringe players, inconsistent performers and free agents all over the country at this time of year.

Andrew Hooper (sorry Hoops) turns from occasional goalsneak into Gary Ablett. Ty Vickery is reportedly getting a half a million clams to join the Hawks after a much-maligned career at the Tigers. Names get thrown up from all kinds of anonymous sources, some around the mark but others just to create discussion.

LIVE BLOG: FOLLOW EVERY MOVE ON DAY THREE

JON RALPH: WHAT WILL THE HAWKS GET FOR MITCHELL?

LIONS CAPTAIN: PIES ‘UNLIKELY’ TO LAND ROCKLIFF

It can be the perfect time for a player to cash in when a club has a substandard year as everyone is looking for someone who can fill a gap in their team and help them move up the ladder.

Most of the time clubs are willing to pay “overs”, meaning forking out more money than a player is worth or has shown on the field. This can be because a couple of clubs could be interested in a player which, similar to going to an auction for a property, drives the player’s price up, sometimes to ridiculous levels. Or possibly because the club rates a particular point of their game and feels they can improve their overall output by backing in the club’s systems, development and culture. Sydney and the Hawks have shown this can pay off — Shaun Burgoyne, Josh Gibson, David Hale, Ted Richards and Jack Gunston are a few that come to mind!

a9c7b8f3171ab6e26260012b905b54ce

Adam Cooney during his final year at the Bulldogs. Picture: Michael Klein
For me the 2014 trade period was the most stressful time of my career.

That was not a particularly successful year for the Dogs. After showing some improvement in the back end of 2013, development stalled and we ended up winning only seven games, one fewer than the previous year.

940050-left.gif
From that point I knew my papers had well and truly been stamped.

- Adam Cooney
940141-right.gif

After signing a two-year deal at the end of the 2013 season I had a pretty inconsistent year, interrupted midyear by a hamstring injury. My form dropped away to the point where I was subbed off halfway through the third quarter against the Hawks down in Tassie (I did kick three the next week against the Saints, though!)

I knew the coach at the time Brendon McCartney wasn’t happy with me and it all came to a head in my end-of-season interview. He asked me about my form and I explained that I was really struggling for motivation as I felt like my body kept letting me down, and subsequently my professionalism dropped towards the end of the year.

Brendon told me there was a chance my career at the Dogs could be over before I knew it. He told me to go away, have a think and then call him to try to convince him why I should still be a part of the club.

From that point I knew my papers had well and truly been stamped so I called my manager Rick Olarenshaw, explained what had transpired and tried to formulate a plan to see if I could find a lifeline at another club.

I had a few conversations with different clubs but narrowed it down to two: North Melbourne and Essendon.

5a189dcc421d7e0241420c8ec2ef1407

Adam Cooney tries his new colours for the first time. Picture: Wayne Ludbey
After meeting with head recruiter Adrian Dodoro, James Hird and then meeting a few of the players, I toured Essendon’s facilities and decided that was the club I wanted to go to.

I knew I was taking a huge risk with my career with everything that was going on at the Bombers at the time, but I thought if the players were found not guilty and they could play footy with nothing hanging over their heads, there was a huge upside. Now, as we all know, that didn’t turn out to be the case, but I stand by my decision and have no regrets and love the club and the people at it.

Two weeks into the trade period, my trade finally got done in the last couple of hours after the club decided to release Paddy Ryder to Port Adelaide and received a pick which was traded on to the Dogs for me.

It was slightly surreal listening and watching my name being linked to certain clubs during trade period that I hadn’t even had any contact with. I can only imagine how it would be if you were a contracted player then all of a sudden your name is thrust into a conversation about ‘player X’ being traded and you’re the “steak knives” part of the deal. It would be unnerving, to say the least. I remember when Jade Rawlings came to the Dogs in a big trade at the time and poor Lachie Veale was thrown in as the consolation prize (the trade became known as the Veale deal) and unfortunately never played a senior game for the Bulldogs.

c5eb33428f3150bd5a8b61fb2c3134fe

Adam Cooney confronts his old Bulldogs teammates on the field. Picture: Michael Klein
Players leave clubs for all sorts of reasons. Money, opportunity, they are pushed out or disgruntled. But it is never an easy decision (even when it’s not your own!) and one which I certainly didn’t enjoy. Leaving your mates is a really hard thing to do, but football is big business now and with the introduction of free agency and contracts seemingly not worth the paper they are written on, we are going to see more and more players switching clubs more frequently in the future.

Loyalty is on the way out in football clubs. Welcome to the big money era of AFL.

MY TAKE ON THIS YEAR’S TRADE TARGETS

Ever heard the expression a year’s a long time in footy?

People quickly forget quickly the value of some players after a poor season. The problem with this time of year is that as soon as one or two clubs go off a player he quickly becomes rotten in the market; it takes a good recruiter and list manager to block out the external noise, back your instincts, judgment and your club’s culture and have an eye to 2-3 years down the track at all times.

One player I am slightly perplexed and is Steven Motlop. According to the rumour mill there is not much interest in Motlop, who finished second in Geelong’s best-and-fairest count only 12 months ago.

The criticism is he turned up overweight and unprofessional to start the pre-season and had a poor finals series. But I think a change of club would do him a world of good. He would join his new club in a good head space, no doubt will put the work in over the break (you wouldn’t roll into a new club with a high skinfolds!).

44684ffc73a9a378c543354c86fda2ae

Richmond and Carlton say they aren’t interested in Steven Motlop.
I think Richmond and Geelong could orchestrate a trade to get Deledio to the Cats and Motlop to the Tigers. Deledio will be the icing on the cake for the Cats midfield which, outside of Dangerfield and Selwood, lacks depth and polish on the wings. He would put them right into contention for a flag tilt in 2017.

Matthew Lobbe is in another player who has taken a bit hit in public perception. Twelve months ago the Dogs were willing to give up a first-round draft pick for him and pay him a stack. Fast-forward 12 months and Port seemingly can’t offload him to anyone.

Too often we write players off after a poor season. Perhaps the amount of money he is on is off-putting for some clubs but I believe he has huge upside if his body stays sound.

Here’s my take on a couple of others being bandied about.

BRYCE GIBBS

Wants to head home to SA. Why? Good question. He cited family reasons, more family help with a young baby. Please mate, having one baby is like being on a holiday at the Cooney house.

Not the worst position for the Blues to be in. Play hardball with him for a first-round pick, possibly squeeze a player like Jarryd Lyons out of the crows and if Adelaide can’t satisfy them, force him to stay. Gibbs is a pro who was pride in his performance so if the Blues made him stay I have no doubt his performance would remain elite.

JAEGER O’MEARA

The Hawks will need to give up their first-round pick and probably a premiership player — Issac Smith looks the most promising to get from a Gold Coast point of view.

That is a huge risk for the Hawks in my opinion on a player who hasn’t played in two years and had knee surgery only a number of weeks ago. My knee used to hurt and I had arthroscope after arthroscope to try to help it, but after each surgery it was more painful than before, so I worry about O’Meara and his long-term future.

JAEGER DEAL: GARY BUCKENARA’S KNEE INJURY WARNING

JOEL HAMLING

From delisted Cat to premiership Dog. Currency will never be higher. Take the money and run across the Nullarbor back to your home state of WA, buy a little place on Cable Beach with your pay raise and frame the medal in the pool room!

46c6f7de50c49d10d63f61dae79f4f94

Joel Hamling (left) could leave the Bulldogs on a high.
TY VICKERY

Deal done to Hawks. Makes sense to me. They will back their culture to improve

him, their track record speaks for itself and he will bolster their depleted tall stocks. Don’t be surprised if he kicks 50 goals next year.

CHRIS MAYNE

He is worth $300-$325,000 a year on a two-year deal but he is reportedly being offered a four-year deal at $450,000-plus. He didn’t have a great year, but it was tough to get a kick let alone kick a goal in Fremantle’s forward line. He’s a huge forward pressure player, averaging five tackles per game this year. I think he is slightly overpriced, but a good fit for the Pies.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back