What unpopular AFL opinions do you have? (Part 1 - cont in Part 2)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Afl should fold.
Each state should go back to state leagues only, with a champions league set up for top 2 from sa, wa, 3 from vic, plus one each from qld, nsw, tas.
The thread title says "unpopular ideas", not "insane ideas".

In what bizzaro land alternative universe would this actually work?

Afl should fold.
Each state should go back to state leagues only, with a champions league set up for top 2 from sa, wa, 3 from vic, plus one each from qld, nsw, tas.
ed-nortan-laptop.gif

You're gonna have to explain this one

It will be something like the movement of the ball. Instead of the rolling scrums and the high handball to kick ratio we used to have the simple Sam Newman mentality of kicking it long to a forward who is 1-out. Explaining it that way though would make it accurate and therefore popular so I'm not sure what he's on about.

Are we the fans genuinely unhappy about the state of the AFL at the moment (ticket prices, food prices, rules etc etc etc)? Or is it over-reacting?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

About 30 of the finest young talent produced in a decade are being wasted at clubs that will not win games consistantly for years.

They shouldn't have been given the option for so many kids and should've been forced into older players by either keeping them in a lower league until they matured or making them trade a minimum amount of their draft picks.

The only interest in these matches is dream team points and gambling on the opposition to cover lines of 70-100+.

I hope these kids keeps their heads screwed on and all tell these teams where to go and where they want to go (back home to Melbourne teams that are struggling for premiership success).

Dom Tyson you superstar.

Thanks for doing the right things bro.

Dom+Tyson+Richmond+v+Melbourne+H0JS03ZrZc5l.jpg

Integral in the win of a struggling Melbourne team today. Awesome to see.

-The free kick count is completely irrelevant to the result of a game of football. Free kicks supposed to be paid to either side when necessary - not to be distributed evenly between the two sides. I know that really shouldn't be an 'unpopular' opinion, but I'm amazed at the hundreds of idiots each week on this site that bring up the free kick count when trying to prove that the opposition was not hard done by in terms of umpiring.

AFL should go to 17 rounds a season + finals and have an FA Cup style competition with all 18 clubs and all clubs from the VFL/WAFL/SANFL/NEAFL and a few NT/Tas clubs to make up for the loss of H&A games during the year.

I like the rolling maul. Nothing better than seeing a Watson or Pendlebury surrounded by opponents some how maneuver through to space. Also some of the best games of all time were midfield floods, 05, 06, 09 Grand finals included.

AFL should go to 17 rounds a season + finals and have an FA Cup style competition with all 18 clubs and all clubs from the VFL/WAFL/SANFL/NEAFL and a few NT/Tas clubs to make up for the loss of H&A games during the year.

FA Cup style wouldn't work in the AFL. It works in Association football because you only need one fluke goal to win and the better team to be slightly off their game.

Australian football isn't tactical enough to have a team of armatures/semi professionals beat professionals.

Geelong beat Melbourne by 180+ points a few seasons ago.Hell, Hawthorn beat St Kilda by 140 points this season - that's two top tier clubs playing each other. You'd see 200+ wins against State league clubs more often than not.

FA Cup style wouldn't work in the AFL. It works in Association football because you only need one fluke goal to win and the better team to be slightly off their game.

Australian football isn't tactical enough to have a team of armatures/semi professionals beat professionals.

Geelong beat Melbourne by 180+ points a few seasons ago.Hell, Hawthorn beat St Kilda by 140 points this season - that's two top tier clubs playing each other. You'd see 200+ wins against State league clubs more often than not.
Sure a loss is the likely result. But hey, so was GWS V Sydney Rd1. There is nothing stopping a state league club like Port Melbourne from pulling of an upset against an AFL side. Don't get me wrong, it'll be hard to do.

Obviously though, the AFL clubs would have to enter the competition after a few rounds to avoid such smashings, but they do this with the EPL clubs too who enter after the 3rd round in the FA Cup.

How I'd run it

*The non AFL affiliated WAFL/SANFL/VFL/NEAFL/TSL/NT clubs battle it out for a maximum of 6 spots (likely during February/March, the competition acts doubles as pre-season games for them). Format: 48, 24, 12, 6.

*Qualifying Round: Then the bottom 10 AFL clubs play a round against the best interstate sides (Maximum of 6 can enter this round and will be usually six. If say Port Melbourne make the quarter finals in the year previous, then it would be 5 for the next year's competition.

*Round of 16: Quarter Finalists from last year (generally all AFL clubs) play the winners of the previous round. The 8 winners go through to quarter finals.

*Quarter Finals: 8 sides play off against each other. 4 winners go through to Semi Finals.

*Semi Finals: 4 sides play off against each other. 2 winners go through to Final.

*Final

Rd16/Quarter/Semi/Final are all played during the H&A season. Could allow for SoO games on Semi Final/Final weekends too.

Sure a loss is the likely result. But hey, so was GWS V Sydney Rd1. There is nothing stopping a state league club like Port Melbourne from pulling of an upset against an AFL side. Don't get me wrong, it'll be hard to do.

Obviously though, the AFL clubs would have to enter the competition after a few rounds to avoid such smashings, but they do this with the EPL clubs too who enter after the 3rd round in the FA Cup.

How I'd run it

*The non AFL affiliated WAFL/SANFL/VFL/NEAFL/TSL/NT clubs battle it out for a maximum of 6 spots (likely during February/March, the competition acts doubles as pre-season games for them). Format: 48, 24, 12, 6.

*Qualifying Round: Then the bottom 10 AFL clubs play a round against the best interstate sides (Maximum of 6 can enter this round and will be usually six. If say Port Melbourne make the quarter finals in the year previous, then it would be 5 for the next year's competition.

*Round of 16: Quarter Finalists from last year (generally all AFL clubs) play the winners of the previous round. The 8 winners go through to quarter finals.

*Quarter Finals: 8 sides play off against each other. 4 winners go through to Semi Finals.

*Semi Finals: 4 sides play off against each other. 2 winners go through to Final.

*Final

Rd16/Quarter/Semi/Final are all played during the H&A season. Could allow for SoO games on Semi Final/Final weekends too.

Might've been possible before the VFL became the national competition. Don't see how it could happen today.

Running hard, "gut running" is falsely labelled courageous.
If its labelled as courageous it's not accurate I don't think. It is however very tough, so one must be tough to run themselves to exhaustion, ignore burning lungs and heavy legs and just keep pushing through the pain of fatigue. A not so great example would be a standard beep test, where some with greater mental fortitude will outlast others who may have the greater aerobic capacity.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back