What unpopular AFL opinions do you have? (Part 1 - cont in Part 2)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I believe that Jack Watts is a good footballer who is the victim of poor coaching, poor development and a rabid media. He receives undue attention compared to many other number 1 draft picks. Did anyone notice that Tom Boyd was dropped last week for example? Where's the outrage about that? How well is Lachie Whitfield playing at the moment? Hardly setting the world on fire. Yet it's Watts that always cops the flak and is always compared to Naitanui. An argument could be made that Watts is having a better 2014 so far than Naitanui in any case. There is still time for Watts to be a star player. He'll never be a Jonathon Brown, or even a Nick Riewoldt, but I have belief that he will be a good to very good 250-game player and will emerge as someone well deserving of being a number 1 draft pick.

Dangerfield is vastly overrated that you would think he is as great as Ablett. Dangerduds Speed is great and going up forward to make an option but try's to do too much or coughs up the ball or makes a mistake at times. Frankly he is probably top 15 but no top 10 not a match winner and can go quiet during games.

Lol, a "top 15 player", but "not a matchwinner". Ok...

I love Hayden Ballantyne. :S

Mongrels who get up blokes' noses and whose passions are bleeding obvious - more of those please.

No, I was not dared to post this.
i like Ballantyne too. Small forwards are meant to be smart arses who get up in your face.

The VFL is better than the AFL standard wise, price wise and atmosphere wise, and if the big wigs allowed even 5% publicity of the so-called reserves league, the stand alone clubs would be at least as popular as the lower drawing Victorian sides and miles more than GWS or GCS.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How exactly are they fine? Most of them are 50-100% markup on what they are outside of the ground.

Probably what I needed to say, was I'm fine with it. I do reckon it's a non-issue. No one forces you to buy their over-priced crap. And as you note there are alternatives (like bringing your own, like I do).

I'm sick of people saying it's a big issue when going to the football. It's not. Variable ticket pricing on the other hand....

Probably what I needed to say, was I'm fine with it. I do reckon it's a non-issue. No one forces you to buy their over-priced crap. And as you note there are alternatives (like bringing your own, like I do).

I'm sick of people saying it's a big issue when going to the football. It's not. Variable ticket pricing on the other hand....
No ones forcing you to buy those tickets. Just don't go. There are alternatives (like installing foxtel to see every game live, like I do).

Of course there are alternatives. But some people don't want alternatives, they want to buy chips, a pie and a coke at the footy without having to take out a second mortgage to do it!

It's the principle of the thing. And we've left it so long that they think we'll take anything, hence inflated/variable ticket pricing.

It's always been over-priced so I don't see the need for all of the angst. You pay a premium at other events as well - I can buy a slab of Melbourne Bitter for $50 but can expect to be charged $8.00 a can if I buy one while watching a live band at a pub. The AFL aren't the only ones marking up food and drink prices.

Suppose I've fulfilled the point of the thread which is to post an unpopular opinion.

There's nothing particularly wrong with the game right now, and even if there was, it's only been 7 rounds . . . Keep hearing that this is the lowest scoring season since 1968, but that just suggests that this will right itself, just like it did then.

Then we can't tamper with the rules per year to bend the game, to our perception of making it more attractive to the punter and then make more rules because our previous changes backfired.

Gillon made his first major **** up. You can't have the governing body seek talks with coaches to make the game more attractive, well you can if you want a scripted game. I really hope they just let coaches you know actually coach and create game plans which will be countered with other coaches creating game plans to beat them rather than trying to quicken the game or slow it down via new rules. It is sport right?

How exactly are they fine? Most of them are 50-100% markup on what they are outside of the ground.
I'm not 100% sure on the exact figures of this so I can only guess - but I'd guess that the vendors inside the ground are paying a significant amount more for the rent inside than outside the ground, hence the higher prices.

I believe that the 'high' penalty in tackling should be completely abolished in umpiring and instead looked at by the MRP. This removes reward for ducking and also the umps are way too ticky touchy with high tackles that wouldn't even remotely hurt a player (often around the shoulders or grabbing the Guernsey momentarily)
Then the MRP can give a penalty IF the high tackle:
1. Was clearly around the neck or head either in a tight grab or a not so tight grab but slung in a way that could cause injury to the player
2. If it was not in a slinging sort of motion, then the grab must be there for at least 2 seconds so that gives time for a player to change their grip.
It's my opinion that if the suggestion above was done, then we would have a safer game due to people not ducking. On top of that, pretty much noone would ever miss weeks for high tackles because the above situations never happen anymore.
I'll admit players will tackle with a bit less care with this system, but I doubt we'll get people injuring their spinal cords and the umpiring will be much less frustrating.

If you don't penalise it with a free kick during the game, it opens up the clothesline/coathanger as an option to stop people. You'd get blokes giving each other Kenta Kobashi lariats if it's the difference between winning and losing on the day/night, and dealing with the consequences later.

Last edited:
If you don't penalise it with a free kick during the game, it opens up the clothesline/coathanger as an option to stop people. You'd get blokes giving each other Kenta Kobashi lariats treatment if it's the difference between winning and losing on the day/night, and dealing with the consequences later.
Yeah I've had a thought about it and decided if my idea was going to be used, it'd still need some umpiring for blatant highs and snipes

Yeah I've had a thought about it and decided if my idea was going to be used, it'd still need some umpiring for blatant highs and snipes

Easier to just keep it how it is, because bringing the subjectivity of "was it blatant? was it not?" into during-the-game decisions would give the umpires even more to think about, and open them up for even more scrutiny.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back