Opinion What unpopular AFL opinions do you have? - Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Big clubs doing well = $$$
In my opinion the AFL can deal with bigger clubs (i.e. Carlton, Collingwood etc) being at the bottom of the ladder because they will still generate large crowds, have high membership numbers etc. It's a different story with the small market teams and I think this was a massive reason for the compensation package we saw handed out to North - despite larger clubs (i.e. Carlton) being in similar positions post-2013 and receiving nothing.

Last edited:
I think there is a lot more dodgy 3rd party agreements with players than the AFL will ever acknowledge. There are so many ways for clubs to essentially pay players outside of the cap, either with things like easy very well paying jobs, to something more elaborate like selling houses to players way below market value, or even cars.

I think there is a lot more dodgy 3rd party agreements with players than the AFL will ever acknowledge. There are so many ways for clubs to essentially pay players outside of the cap, either with things like easy very well paying jobs, to something more elaborate like selling houses to players way below market value, or even cars.
Hopefully they are continuing to reduce that though.

I would also like to see the ambassador payments go too though. Dodgy as heck.

Hopefully they are continuing to reduce that though.

I would also like to see the ambassador payments go too though. Dodgy as heck.

To be honest I don't feel at all confident about it though, and I think there probably have been teams in the last 15 years or so who have won a premiership based on dodgy accounting.

The AFL though, even if they found out would never admit it unless they were forced to.

To be honest I don't feel at all confident about it though, and I think there probably have been teams in the last 15 years or so who have won a premiership based on dodgy accounting.

The AFL though, even if they found out would never admit it unless they were forced to.
I absolutely agree with all of that. I still have hopes they are actively trying to improve it in the future even if they are covering up the past.

Is it a conspiracy theory if it has already happened? I am just saying I think it is still going on, and clubs are better at hiding it now.
He probably thought ambassador payments were a conspiracy theory. North Melbourne fans.

Of course I don't know of specifics, but its hard not to think this doesn't happen to some degree.

If you have lots of people who have lots of disposable money and positions of power and they want their club to win, would be pretty easy to get some favorable deals for players outside of footy.

It would also be pretty hard to find it and stop it however, which I suspect why the AFL doesn't make a big deal about it.

It would also be pretty hard to find it and stop it however, which I suspect why the AFL doesn't make a big deal about it.
One method of stopping it, or at least reducing it, is having massive penalties when you do catch it. Managers should get life bans. Players season bans. Clubs lose first and second round picks across multiple years.

Make it prohibitively risky.

Not an unpopular/controversial opinion.

One method of stopping it, or at least reducing it, is having massive penalties when you do catch it. Managers should get life bans. Players season bans. Clubs lose first and second round picks across multiple years.

Make it prohibitively risky.

That would be the only way to do. That and having greater access to players financials. But unsure of the legality of that.

The problem with going hard and making an example out of one player/organisation/agent is that it will open a can of worms for the AFL about why another player didn't get investigated etc.

All of a sudden, the AFL will have a dozen 'grey area financial dealings' they have to make decisions on. They wont want that.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That would be the only way to do. That and having greater access to players financials. But unsure of the legality of that.

The problem with going hard and making an example out of one player/organisation/agent is that it will open a can of worms for the AFL about why another player didn't get investigated etc.

All of a sudden, the AFL will have a dozen 'grey area financial dealings' they have to make decisions on. They wont want that.
Yep. Not easy. But I think if the afl really wanted to do it they could.

In my opinion the AFL can deal with bigger clubs (i.e. Carlton, Collingwood etc) being at the bottom of the ladder because they will still generate large crowds, have high membership numbers etc. It's a different story with the small market teams and I think this was a massive reason for the compensation package we saw handed out to North - despite larger clubs (i.e. Carlton) being in similar positions post-2013 and receiving nothing.
True. And getting more eyeballs on TV screens across the weekend to appease the networks who contribute the massive media deals is a priority.

The AFL don't want those blowout matches involving minnows like North, Suns etc stinking up the next big TV rights deal.

True. And getting more eyeballs on TV screens across the weekend to appease the networks who contribute the massive media deals is a priority.

The AFL don't want those blowout matches involving minnows like North, Suns etc stinking up the next big TV rights deal.
Yep - TV would also be a massive factor. There's also probably more people watching big teams when they are doing poorly compared to when they are doing well 🤣

I want the blockbuster games back on Saturday afternoon.

And have a game on Thursday and Monday all year round.

Surely a game on Monday night isn’t going to attract that much less crowd than a dead Sunday 5pm twilight.

I’d even suggest more would be tuning in on TV as it’s a standalone game.

Thursday x1
Friday x1
Saturday (Day) x1
Saturday (Twilight) x1
Saturday (Night) x2
Sunday (Day) x2
Monday (Night) x1

I want the blockbuster games back on Saturday afternoon.

And have a game on Thursday and Monday all year round.

Surely a game on Monday night isn’t going to attract that much less crowd than a dead Sunday 5pm twilight.

I’d even suggest more would be tuning in on TV as it’s a standalone game.

Thursday x1
Friday x1
Saturday (Day) x1
Saturday (Twilight) x1
Saturday (Night) x2
Sunday (Day) x2
Monday (Night) x1

The issue with a drawn out round, eg above is that teams get stuck in one part of the weekend for weeks.

Eg if you played on a Monday, then the next game is likely a Sunday, then another Sunday or at best Saturday.

Similarly the thurs night teams become the Friday night teams.

It’s a problem now to a degree where you get the same teams in different matchups on Thursday/fri nights.

Collingwood illustrated the problem this year as well, after Anzac Day, they were stuck on Sundays for ages, which ch7 didn’t hate coz that meant they had a Collingwood game leading in to the news.

The spread out rounds become hard for the AFL to fixture, and also if you have them you might have teams with significantly shorter rest periods playing against a team that’s had an extra few days.
Then add in travel time for the Dockers and Eagles and it becomes a bit too hard basket.

At the moment the only real “reset” for a team to move easily from a Sunday to say a Thursday night is after they have a mideason bye.

But having said all that, the AFL will have an option of every team being able to move from a Sunday to a Thursday from 2028 when a weekly bye comes in.
Maybe your idea is just a few years too early!

Key position defenders are just failed forwards who are great at concealing their cheating and are usually very good athletes.

If football was played how it was in the Dunstall era, then players like Curnow, Jezza, Hawkins, Charlie Cameron, Oscar Allen, Tom Lynch, Larkey etc. would put through 100+ near on every year. Who is beating any of these guys 1:1 with a full inside 50 to work with?

Ablett Senior is overrated and nowhere as good as his son.

Goalkicking has actually gotten better when you consider the range players are kicking from and the fatigue they are under.
Bonus unpopular opinion: Dunstall and Taylor should shut the **** up about goalkicking as they took their set shots from an average distance of 15m having ran <5km for the entire game.
Bonus bonus unpopular opinion: Lloyd is the authority on goalkicking
Bonus bonus bonus unpopular opinion: Fevola was not a very good set shot

Key position defenders are just failed forwards who are great at concealing their cheating and are usually very good athletes.

If football was played how it was in the Dunstall era, then players like Curnow, Jezza, Hawkins, Charlie Cameron, Oscar Allen, Tom Lynch, Larkey etc. would put through 100+ near on every year. Who is beating any of these guys 1:1 with a full inside 50 to work with?

Ablett Senior is overrated and nowhere as good as his son.

Goalkicking has actually gotten better when you consider the range players are kicking from and the fatigue they are under.
Bonus unpopular opinion: Dunstall and Taylor should shut the * up about goalkicking as they took their set shots from an average distance of 15m having ran <5km for the entire game.
Bonus bonus unpopular opinion: Lloyd is the authority on goalkicking
Bonus bonus bonus unpopular opinion: Fevola was not a very good set shot

Correct Darcy Moore prime example.

Remove this Banner Ad

Opinion What unpopular AFL opinions do you have? - Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Back