Review What we learnt: Round 6 Edition

Remove this Banner Ad

1. That was quite possibly worst umpired game in the history of the AFL.

10. The umpires were a bloody disgrace

violin.jpg

1. Why wait? It has happened a few times recently.

2. It certainly didn't cost you guys a game this week. Even getting the better of the calls, we still thoroughly outplayed you. The scoreboard flattered you at 3/4 times. Don't mind mentioning also Lenny's head long dive for a free or the bloke who ran through 50 and tried to evade Rioli, got a tackle and the ball spilled loose. No free. 5 minutes later Buddy gets a tackle, ball spills out. Free against Buddy. You can't be selective when criticising poor decisions. There's 2 shockets against us right off the top of my head.

3. Yeah, we whinge a bit. Granted. :thumbsu:

2. It certainly didn't cost you guys a game this week.

Can you tell me where is he saying the umpires cost us this past game? If you bothered to read around, you'd probably see that although nearly all of us complain about the umpiring (clear appaling decisions in the game), we also concede it was not the reason we lost.

I think it is you that are being selective with your view of things...

Can you tell me where is he saying the umpires cost us this past game? If you bothered to read around, you'd probably see that although nearly all of us complain about the umpiring (clear appaling decisions in the game), we also concede it was not the reason we lost.

I think it is you that are being selective with your view of things...

Hey mate, I'm not buying into the actual argument of the umpires, but in answer to your post, he said this.........

Can't wait until Hawthorn are on the wrong end of it and costs you a win.

This surely insinuates that he believes being on the bad end of the umpiring cost St. Kilda the win.

1. Sean Dempster isn't a key defender. Has a huge tank and gives it everything but simply isn't a key defender. Yes he does a good job on Pav but mainly when Pav is in the midfield. Hindsight is easy but I would have gone Simpkin to Buddy, Dempster to Cyril, Blake to Roughhead and Stanley more time in the ruck.

I'm going to disagree and say he is.

Defence has held up really well up until this point, not willing to say he isn't an option based on Buddy kicking 5, because he does it regularly.

The defence has been really solid, he only allowed Buddy 4 marks inside 50, so most of his shots on goal were either from outside, or ground balls that he picked up from a spillage.

I'd like to know how many goals have been kicked on him up until Saturday night.

(Did anyone also notice the comment in the paper that Sean was unwell before the game)

Defence has held up really well up until this point, not willing to say he isn't an option based on Buddy kicking 5, because he does it regularly.

The defence has been really solid, he only allowed Buddy 4 marks inside 50, so most of his shots on goal were either from outside, or ground balls that he picked up from a spillage.

I'd like to know how many goals have been kicked on him up until Saturday night.

(Did anyone also notice the comment in the paper that Sean was unwell before the game)

I get where you're coming from but disagree. You can't judge on how many goals scored, you have to go by shots on goal. Buddy had eleven shots on goal. Also four marks i50 is quite a lot. Out of interest, does anyone know who he actually has played on prior to this game?

Edit. I'm not knocking Dempster, I think he's a great tagger/small defender, I just think he's much better in that area and would have been more effective on Cyril.

This surely insinuates that he believes being on the bad end of the umpiring cost St. Kilda the win.

I just wish the Hawk supporters would just acknowledge we got some stinkers in the first half - that cost the Saints goals - but that when the game was on the line the Hawks played the better footy and deserved the win in the end.

Can't speak for Plugger, but the Saints have lost games due to the umpires twice before this season (although we didn't play our best footy which would have overcome the problem) and we're sick to death about getting the rough end of the pineapple.

I learnt that playing a home game on the oppositions home ground is a bad idea.

Particularly when the home side has 4 (decent) marking forwards against the worst tall backline in the competition.

As a supporter 4 points > $200,000

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Any tolerance I have for an argument about the umpiring vanishes at any negative criticism of Hayes.

I can't speak for Plugger35's comment, but I can speak for his usual behaviour in this forum. And this leads me to think he wasn't insinuating this. That's what happens when you just lurk around in opposition's forums: you tend to take some comments for what they aren't and jump at the first thing you think is wrong.

Can you please find the footage of Lenny taking a dive. I refuse to believe it otherwise.

He did get a free for high contact in the second half and I have to admit that I thought while watching it that he wanted the high contact...

Maybe an act of frustration seeing that hard and honest work does not provide the same results as diving head on into the opposing player (e.g. Selwood, Rioli or essentially all West Coast players who seem to have perfected the free kick milking technique this year).

Watter's 6 games into his head coaching career, already a better coach than Matthew Primus :D

three things that come to mind when thinking about West Coast:

- drugs
- tanking
- ducking

oh, and: :D

The boys were spent in the last quarter, because they had to work so hard just to keep up with Hawthorn and the others...

We got the better end of the umpiring against the Western Bulldogs, and I didn't have an opinion on the umpiring against Melbourne (only game I haven't attended).

Riewoldt is playing well, but we unfortunately still rate him against his pre-hamstring best. He needed to kick that fourth goal. He's just a very good CHF now, with great leadership skills and great ability without the ball. I love him, he's given his all for the club, but he's 29 and we should know what happens from here. Unless he gets the Benjamin Button elixir from Matthew Richardson.

I learnt that playing a home game on the oppositions home ground is a bad idea.

Particularly when the home side has 4 (decent) marking forwards against the worst tall backline in the competition.

As a supporter 4 points > $200,000

Pretty sure the request went in during 2009 when some MCG time would have been good, then the Memo was in the In-tray for a couple of years, and we get it now.

where was that mentioned? i had not read anything

Watters mentioned it in his post match interview

Geez, I wish Watters wouldn't say things like that.

If he's not well, play someone else.

Or don't put him on one of the best players in the comp.

Or rotate others onto Franklin, as teams often do with Riewoldt.

I would say sub him off, but that option was taken away with Fisher's injury.

Just don't like guys being taken out of the team at the last minute, whilst we play guys who aren't well. Either shows a lack of depth or inability/unwillingness to consider other options.

And looks weak to look to make excuses as to why a guy gets beaten (although I thought Dempster did a good job to half time).

I learnt something else this week, If you hve anything slightly negative and don't post Arryn Siposs is greatest player in the AFL then his Dad will have a go at you on Facebook and rally his Facebook "friends" to 'rip into him'

In other words we have the Damir Dokic of the AFL at our club!!

Geez, I wish Watters wouldn't say things like that.

If he's not well, play someone else.

Or don't put him on one of the best players in the comp.

Or rotate others onto Franklin, as teams often do with Riewoldt.

I would say sub him off, but that option was taken away with Fisher's injury.

Just don't like guys being taken out of the team at the last minute, whilst we play guys who aren't well. Either shows a lack of depth or inability/unwillingness to consider other options.

And looks weak to look to make excuses as to why a guy gets beaten (although I thought Dempster did a good job to half time).

Coincidence that Dempster was doing a good job until Fisher went down? I think not... Fish was dropping in the hole & stuffing up Buddy's line to the incoming pill. In the 2nd half, he had a free run at it & ultimately got on top

Did think Dempster did a good job considering the height & weight discrepancy... Would have liked to have seen the Gilbert/Franklin & Dempster/Rioli match-ups though... Buddy may have still kicked 5, but i highly doubt Cyril Duckoli would have kicked 6

Read today about KB not having a problem with the Joel Selwood frees (I still think the umpires are stupid not to call play on for such incidental contact that is caused by the "victim" himself) but doesn't like the Rioli battering ram technique.

Remove this Banner Ad

Review What we learnt: Round 6 Edition

Remove this Banner Ad

Back