Review What we learnt: Round 6 Edition

Remove this Banner Ad

The AFL has admited Rioli ducked & it should never have been a free against Polo. So means Polo was right to be angry & abuse umpire for disgraceful decision and that 50m penalty was extremely costly considering.

But no word on the Stanley "advantage" decision.

The AFL has admited Rioli ducked & it should never have been a free against Polo. So means Polo was right to be angry & abuse umpire for disgraceful decision and that 50m penalty was extremely costly considering.

I heard Dermott on the radio yesterday, disapointed with Rioli's action on top of the complaints that his coach had made against West Coast.

Thought we got a decent run but I can also pick out incidents as well from the game. Watched the first half again and I noted the following things that could have made 4 goals difference to Hawthorn

For the first goal Riewoldt shoves Schoenmakers in the back allowing Kosi to mark

Gilbert while be tackled handballs straight to the boundary from 10m away

Goddard tries to fly over Whitecross 10m out from goal and doesn't get near the ball. Would normally be an obvious free kick

Franklin tackled high in the goal square in the 2nd quarter but paid holding the ball

In any game you can pick out free kicks that you feel you should have got. I still feel we got a better run on Saturday but its not as clear as many think

I don't think he was making excuses Squizz.

I just think he was pointing out that stuff can happen right up until game time, and you have to go with what you think will be best from what options you have.

I agree he did a good job, I still think 11 scoring shots is ridiculously good for a guy who only takes 4 inside 50 marks. Freaky really.

Do you have a link to the article/video stating this?

Thought we got a decent run but I can also pick out incidents as well from the game. Watched the first half again and I noted the following things that could have made 4 goals difference to Hawthorn

In any game you can pick out free kicks that you feel you should have got. I still feel we got a better run on Saturday but its not as clear as many think

For the first goal Riewoldt shoves Schoenmakers in the back allowing Kosi to mark

Goddard tries to fly over Whitecross 10m out from goal and doesn't get near the ball. Would normally be an obvious free kick

Franklin tackled high in the goal square in the 2nd quarter but paid holding the ball

1. haven't seen it again, so dunno
2. Thought this was a 50/50 call. On replay, I remember Gilbert being tackled and facing the boundary line with at least one arm pinned. Nowhere else to handball it really so the call went his way
3. Thought a free would have been called on first look. On replay, looks like he didn't really make contact with anyone
4. He probably ducked :p

I normally wouldn't reply (OK - I probably would), but Saints fans might get a laugh at your "incidents" by using the AFL replay.

Dude - the first one (Riewoldt shoving someone). Please. (check the first Saints contested mark on the replay).

And the "high" tackle on Franklin. You're kidding! (watch from the free to Hale in the second quarter). He's not as good at ducking as Rioli :rolleyes:.

And the "obvious" Goddard free kick. They replayed it, showing minimal (if any contact) and the commentators said it wasn't a free - even if it looked like one at first glance.

Can't find the Gilbert one, but seems pretty lame from your description (hardly cost a goal anyway) and if it's like the other ones there will be bugger all in it.

Your examples suck unbelievably bad - embarrasing really - so if you're going to scrape the bottom of the barrel for them I'll take it we got absolutely shafted!

Given you watched the replay, you'll remember how many times the commentators remarked on the poor calls towards the Saints (despite being umpire appreciation round).

Would the Gilbert deliberate have been paid if he had rushed a behind? Of course not, and the standard should be the same. Congrats to the umpires on that occasion on not being overly punative and giving a player an opportunity to dispose of the ball when tackled.

Goddard barely touched him (I too thought it was a free kick live, but not on replay).

Riewoldt got away with at least one push in the back from memory, but I cannot think of which contest this was in.

I learnt something else this week, If you hve anything slightly negative and don't post Arryn Siposs is greatest player in the AFL then his Dad will have a go at you on Facebook and rally his Facebook "friends" to 'rip into him'

In other words we have the Damir Dokic of the AFL at our club!!

explain ?

Re flight of the Goddard, nope not a free as that section of the rules is interpretative of the umpires during the match and the umpires did not call a free thus making it entirely correct. Can argue it's a shit rule sure, but not much you can do to call it wrong when it starts with 'if in the umpires opinion..."

So no point bringing that up unless you're closing both eyes and going "lalalala AFL rules don't exist with ambiguities, not listening".

Sippos' dad has been VERY public and VERY, er, enthusiastic in supporting his son in online social networking media. He went on Saintsational and ripped into anybody who had anything negative to say about Sippos at all (I'm pretty sure he's banned from there now). He took his flame war to Facebook, and if you ever criticise Sippos in one of the comments there, goes balistic. He also went on Facebook at the beginning of the season and publicly criticised the St Kilda selection panel for not picking his boy - rumour is that Sippos had probably been meant to play (under Watters' 25-man squad policy), but he was dropped like a sack of spuds after his father's antics.

I want the kid to make it because I like his footskills and we don't have enough of them, I always found him friendly at training, he doesn't lack confidence....but sometimes that's not such a bad thing.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

explain ?

Pretty much see below

Sippos' dad has been VERY public and VERY, er, enthusiastic in supporting his son in online social networking media. He went on Saintsational and ripped into anybody who had anything negative to say about Sippos at all (I'm pretty sure he's banned from there now). He took his flame war to Facebook, and if you ever criticise Sippos in one of the comments there, goes balistic. He also went on Facebook at the beginning of the season and publicly criticised the St Kilda selection panel for not picking his boy - rumour is that Sippos had probably been meant to play (under Watters' 25-man squad policy), but he was dropped like a sack of spuds after his father's antics.

His Dad just cant seem to take any kind of criticsm of Arryn, which i guess is fair enough as id be the same BUT when your son plays AFL you just dont go onto fan forums or website. If you do and read something you dont like you dont take it to social media and post and ask your "friends" to 'take revenge' for him....

He had a massive disagreement with Saints Footy (which is probably fair enough as he is bit of tosser, but thats another story) and then the above incident on SS. Soon he wont be welcome on any fan site as he'll be blocked by them all..

Club has already told him off multiple times for info he has released.

He is going to do more harm to his son then he probably realizes, you dont go pissing off the fans/members!!!

Did anyone else see the Stanley mark about 12 m out from goal. Stanley takes the mark, umpire blows the whistle says thats a mark bout a second later the hawks defender hits the ball out of stanley's hands, instead of being paid a 50, the umpire calls play on...

Did anyone else see the Stanley mark about 12 m out from goal. Stanley takes the mark, umpire blows the whistle says thats a mark bout a second later the hawks defender hits the ball out of stanley's hands, instead of being paid a 50, the umpire calls play on...

Nope, didn't see that

Oh, unless you're referring to the Stanley incident that there has been about 437 posts written :D

I learnt that playing a home game on the oppositions home ground is a bad idea.

Particularly when the home side has 4 (decent) marking forwards against the worst tall backline in the competition.

As a supporter 4 points > $200,000

In round 7 I learnt that playing at home is a good idea

Remove this Banner Ad

Review What we learnt: Round 6 Edition

Remove this Banner Ad

Back