Whatever happened to...

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: What ever happened to.......?

JUBJUB said:
Last I heard Flanigan was ruck or assistant coach at the Oakleigh Chargers.

Exell was playing up in a country league [Bendigo ?] and still kicking bags of goals a couple of years ago.

He was playing for Northern United who WERE in the BFL (Bendigo Football League) but i think they moved to a different competition? LVFL possibly. I try not to keep informed of Bendigo happenings if possible.

sticko_64 said:
Currently the coach of Portarlington in the Bellarine Football League. I think he has played (and coached?) with Colac and Lara before he moved there this year to take over the reigns.

They won 2 games under him in his first season and i think he signed on for another year of coaching in 2006

Heh, poor Port, lived there for a bit and took a bit of interest in how they were going, when I checked up last year they had about 40% or less and hadn't won a game for the year.

Lynch took over and won them their first game in quite a long time I believe.

Lynch actually didn't win the best and fairest, I don't know why the addy wrote that. Aaron Langsworth won their B&F. Lynch missed no games pulled his hammy against Moddeware when he was winning the game by himself at Moddeware.

whatever happened to grant tanner???
was a pretty handy layer who disappeared after doing his knee
also dean helmers played a year at forest last eyar in the cdfl

tayls said:
Saw this on another thread and thought it might be good here. Just to see what some ex Geelong players are doing now. So post your player and hopefully someone might know what happened to them.
I'll kick it off
Michael Kol
Stephen Hooper
Shane Crothers
Cain Liddle
Dean Helmers
Peter Johnstone

any one know what happened to these guys and what they are doing now?

dean helmers played back at macedon in 2005

tayls said:
Cheers Jack he played what 1 or 2 games for Geelong, must have been why he never made it (soft) Do remember he was a good kick.
He thought he was a pants man around town as well.

nothing has changed them

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Silver Cat said:
The Rifleman coached Cairns Saints for one season in 2004, they finished third.

At a function in Sydney in '98 Brownless indicated that Tanner wasn't very popular and had issues relating to excessive consumption of certain fluids. I got the impression that the club was relieved to see him move on.

answerman said:
At a function in Sydney in '98 Brownless indicated that Tanner wasn't very popular and had issues relating to excessive consumption of certain fluids. I got the impression that the club was relieved to see him move on.

Well he got done for drink driving twice in less than a year, so I assumed that was common knowledge.

Saw this on another thread and thought it might be good here. Just to see what some ex Geelong players are doing now. So post your player and hopefully someone might know what happened to them.
I'll kick it off
Michael Kol
Stephen Hooper
Shane Crothers
Cain Liddle
Dean Helmers
Peter Johnstone

any one know what happened to these guys and what they are doing now?

Dean Helmers is playing coach at Sunbury Kangaroos these days

About 6 years ago Peake was some kind of "Apprentice Board" delegate in WA.

He came in and talked to my tafe class.

Remember him telling us about how lots of people kept telling his son he was no good and that if he kept trying he would eventually succeed.

Well, he got to AFL, but he's still no good.

It was a bit of a suprise when he said his name, as I was aware he played for Geelong, but didn't realise how good he actually was until after that day. Would have loved to have chewed the fat for a bit but was unaware of his stature.

About 6 years ago Peake was some kind of "Apprentice Board" delegate in WA.

He came in and talked to my tafe class.

Remember him telling us about how lots of people kept telling his son he was no good and that if he kept trying he would eventually succeed.

Well, he got to AFL, but he's still no good.

It was a bit of a suprise when he said his name, as I was aware he played for Geelong, but didn't realise how good he actually was until after that day. Would have loved to have chewed the fat for a bit but was unaware of his stature.

Thanks Vealesy :thumbsu:

I remember he came from WA with a lot of fanfare, considered by many to be the best player going around at the time.

He played with the GFC for 4 years I think, and went home in the mid 80's having not quite reached the heights that were hoped, although he did play some exceptionally good games.

There is a line of thought that this happened because he was played in the forward line for the first year or two, before being moved to the centre where he'd earned his reputation in WA as a ruck-rover.

Thanks Vealesy :thumbsu:

I remember he came from WA with a lot of fanfare, considered by many to be the best player going around at the time.

If I remember correctly, he was met by the media after he was flown into K'Park in a helicopter.

More importantly what ever happened to David Mensch? What an absolute champion. The epitomy of the words skill, style, grace & superstar

Still recovering from Portia de Rossi

Darren Flannigan is living and working in Hong Kong apparently. Johnny Barnes lives round the corner from me and coaches Doutta Stars under 16's. Melbourne cup day last year, I managed to weasel my way into a shout with Peter Johnstone, Murray Whitcombe, Damien Drum, Tim Darcy and ex Fitzroy player Peter Bird (a Geelong Falcons boy though) Loved it. all ripping blokes and were totally cool and up for telling some great 80's stories. Some rippers about Jacko!

Remove this Banner Ad

Whatever happened to...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back