What's happening in the Bendigo Football League #3

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: What's happening in the Bendigo Football League #2

1. struggling in a BIG way to get back to VCFL Div 1 status,
2. struggling to attract and keep sustainable and meaningful sponsorship
3. having big trouble addressing the health and competitiveness of ALL it's football clubs
4. not defining any strategic direction for the next 3,5,10 years
5. void of any idea on how to effectively communicate and engage its members and supporters
6. in my view, not providing full value for it's current sponsors
7. under-staffed ...and the staff that are there, do not have the professional aptitude and skills to effectively run one footy comp, let alone three.
8. No idea on branding and promotion. I have lots of examples here, but in particular... the league website. It's embarressing.

Everyone is entitled to an opinion and I reckon you may be missing one of the largest points is that everyone is struggling with the economic environment. Sponsors have retracted in all areas as business steadies itself against recent world events.
Money is the key to most of your points and the lack of it for some clubs. Most clubs budget to spend what they think they can afford. How many clubs will make a profit this year? I keep hearing attendances are down at all games so less from the gate, less from the canteen and less from the drink sales. How do clubs make additional money in the club when less people are attending?

Clubs have money from sponsorship and greater attendances and can access better players. Better players make a better league. When economic environment is better you get more business wanting to be involved.
How do you come out with a bulletproof strategic direction at this time? If you do and its completely wrong in first 12 months everyone will howl it down.
Economy nationally is going to get worse before it gets better which means another 12 -18 months of tough times for clubs.
Branding and promotion can improve as the BFL has clear access to TV and radio and could do more work but i reckon issues arising are dollar based at present.

The unprofessional way that the BFNL is presented is embarressing. And on this occasion, I have to agree with Greenman. You can't have your league CEO taken seriously when he's making up numbers in an Interleague game and playing for Castlemaine. That's plain and simple.

Lets face it Ollie is a good bloke but is not a CEO. He went from running a small business to this job. I doubt he has any qualifications. If you want a professional league you have a professional run it, not a good bloke who was a league legend, but has no other claim to the job.

Respect your point GG because it's a fair one in this current economic climate, but please allow me to respond. Money and Marketing is something I know a bit about, so here's some points to consider;

(PLEASE NOTE: To anyone else, if you don't like big words, intelligent conversation and prefer to watch Ultimate Fighting while sinking a few Woodstock cans, you'd best skip this post because most of this will sail over your head)

1. everyone is struggling with the economic environment.
True, but Bendigo has been largely isolated from the worst of it. Maryborough / Kyneton not so much. Bendigo's core industries and businesses have continued to be profitable with minimal job losses

2. Money is the key to most of your points
Not necessarily. Action speaks louder than words. Some people look at the bank balance and just give up, but creating a club culture and player philosophy where fun, life contacts, mateship, access to professional services, and ultimately success, goes a long way to reducing your player payments. You'd be surprised by the number of kids who aren't just in it for the money. VAFA is a great example of this.

3. How many clubs will make a profit this year?
It's BFL, not AFL so I'd be surprised if any clubs finish in the black. Maybe 1 or 2. All BFL clubs are non-profit organisations (or supposed to be), so profit is not the core reason for existence. Yes, you need $250,000 a year to run a BFL club, but if the bank balance is zero at 1 October every year, it doesn't mean the club is going to fold.

4. When economic environment is better you get more business wanting to be involved.
Again, I disagree. At the moment, there are still some low bearing fruit opportunities in Bendigo (don't know about other towns). When times are bad, it's the businesses that remain high profile that succeed because it gives a perception of strength and stability when other competitors go into their shells. Don't assume... it's the mother of all f**k ups.

5. How do you come out with a bulletproof strategic direction at this time? If you do and its completely wrong in first 12 months everyone will howl it down.
Here's a tip - no business plan is 100% bullet-proof. But to have true leadership, you need a vision, you need to give people an idea of where you're headed. Basically, when times are bad, you need to sell the idea of hope. As for the people for "howl things down" when things get hard... well.... I have no time for them because it doesn't solve anything. The "HARD" is what makes this game great. If it was easy, everyone would do it.

6. Economy nationally is going to get worse before it gets better which means another 12 -18 months of tough times for clubs.
We're on the way up now. We have past the worst of it and you don't have to look to hard to see it. Take this week for example, ASX shares have had 4 consecutive days of growth, business lending is up nationally and the latest Australian business confidence index had the sharpest increase in 10 years. Business is more optimistic now... yes NOW. Unemployment is always the last economic indicator to improve.

7. Branding and promotion can improve as the BFL has clear access to TV and radio and could do more work but i reckon issues arising are dollar based at present
Again, the current BFL staff are to blame here. Not money. Steve Oliver and his staff could at least do simple things like attaching sponsors logos (along with their own) at the bottom of email correspondence. It’s a small promotional opportunity, but an opportunity nonetheless and an easy way for the BFNL to compliment sponsorship with very little effort.

More importantly, on WIN news every Friday night, why does Jock Clark not have a BFL / Bendigo Bank banner (the leagues major sponsor) behind him when he is previewing the Bendigo Bank Bendigo Football League?? He mentions it, yes - but TV is a visual medium and sponsors need visual representation. The opportunity isn't lost on Jock - he's smart enough to wear a "Match" polo top every week!

Football clubs / leagues ALWAYS make the same stupid mistakes every year with sponsors - OVER PROMISE and UNDER DELIVER. And Ollie and the boys are no different. Look after your sponsors and they will stick with you in good economic times and in bad economic times, they stick with you when you're winning and when you're losing.

Respect your point GG because it's a fair one in this current economic climate, but please allow me to respond. Money and Marketing is something I know a bit about, so here's some points to consider;

(PLEASE NOTE: To anyone else, if you don't like big words, intelligent conversation and prefer to watch Ultimate Fighting while sinking a few Woodstock cans, you'd best skip this post because most of this will sail over your head)

True, but Bendigo has been largely isolated from the worst of it. Maryborough / Kyneton not so much. Bendigo's core industries and businesses have continued to be profitable with minimal job losses

Not necessarily. Action speaks louder than words. Some people look at the bank balance and just give up, but creating a club culture and player philosophy where fun, life contacts, mateship, access to professional services, and ultimately success, goes a long way to reducing your player payments. You'd be surprised by the number of kids who aren't just in it for the money. VAFA is a great example of this.

It's BFL, not AFL so I'd be surprised if any clubs finish in the black. Maybe 1 or 2. All BFL clubs are non-profit organisations (or supposed to be), so profit is not the core reason for existence. Yes, you need $250,000 a year to run a BFL club, but if the bank balance is zero at 1 October every year, it doesn't mean the club is going to fold.

4. When economic environment is better you get more business wanting to be involved.
Again, I disagree. At the moment, there are still some low bearing fruit opportunities in Bendigo (don't know about other towns). When times are bad, it's the businesses that remain high profile that succeed because it gives a perception of strength and stability when other competitors go into their shells. Don't assume... it's the mother of all f**k ups.

5. How do you come out with a bulletproof strategic direction at this time? If you do and its completely wrong in first 12 months everyone will howl it down.
Here's a tip - no business plan is 100% bullet-proof. But to have true leadership, you need a vision, you need to give people an idea of where you're headed. Basically, when times are bad, you need to sell the idea of hope. As for the people for "howl things down" when things get hard... well.... I have no time for them because it doesn't solve anything. The "HARD" is what makes this game great. If it was easy, everyone would do it.

6. Economy nationally is going to get worse before it gets better which means another 12 -18 months of tough times for clubs.
We're on the way up now. We have past the worst of it and you don't have to look to hard to see it. Take this week for example, ASX shares have had 4 consecutive days of growth, business lending is up nationally and the latest Australian business confidence index had the sharpest increase in 10 years. Business is more optimistic now... yes NOW. Unemployment is always the last economic indicator to improve.

7. Branding and promotion can improve as the BFL has clear access to TV and radio and could do more work but i reckon issues arising are dollar based at present
Again, the current BFL staff are to blame here. Not money. Steve Oliver and his staff could at least do simple things like attaching sponsors logos (along with their own) at the bottom of email correspondence. It’s a small promotional opportunity, but an opportunity nonetheless and an easy way for the BFNL to compliment sponsorship with very little effort.

More importantly, on WIN news every Friday night, why does Jock Clark not have a BFL / Bendigo Bank banner (the leagues major sponsor) behind him when he is previewing the Bendigo Bank Bendigo Football League?? He mentions it, yes - but TV is a visual medium and sponsors need visual representation. The opportunity isn't lost on Jock - he's smart enough to wear a "Match" polo top every week!

Football clubs / leagues ALWAYS make the same stupid mistakes every year with sponsors - OVER PROMISE and UNDER DELIVER. And Ollie and the boys are no different. Look after your sponsors and they will stick with you in good economic times and in bad economic times, they stick with you when you're winning and when you're losing.

And this is why Gisborne will be moving to the BalFL - they will be able to get more sponsorship in this tough time - more people will be at the Gisborne games generating more money for the club. The timing is perfect for the club and give them a much needed boost.

As for Ollie - it is like making the funniest guy at AMP the CEO - sure there may be a few laughs early but end of the day AMP will collapse.

And this is why Gisborne will be moving to the BalFL - they will be able to get more sponsorship in this tough time - more people will be at the Gisborne games generating more money for the club. The timing is perfect for the club and give them a much needed boost.
So are you on the Gisborne FC committee Chuck? The Ballarat FL's proposal has gotten further down the track than previous attempts, but your Pres still admits all the financial benefits of moving are still up to how much work the committee does, not just because they play Sunbury & co.

Are you going to lend a hand? Are you going to man the kiosk? Or take money on the gate? Or chase sponsorship for your club?

Moving to the Ballarat FL may well be a better option, but it won't work unless more supporters chip in. Just like they should NOW while they're in the Bendigo league. You and Kings Army seem to think the Brat FL is a magic pot of gold.

I played in that league for 10 years. Guess what? Those clubs have the same problems as any club in any other league.

So are you on the Gisborne FC committee Chuck? The Ballarat FL's proposal has gotten further down the track than previous attempts, but your Pres still admits all the financial benefits of moving are still up to how much work the committee does, not just because they play Sunbury & co.

Are you going to lend a hand? Are you going to man the kiosk? Or take money on the gate? Or chase sponsorship for your club?

Moving to the Ballarat FL may well be a better option, but it won't work unless more supporters chip in. Just like they should NOW while they're in the Bendigo league. You and Kings Army seem to think the Brat FL is a magic pot of gold.

I played in that league for 10 years. Guess what? Those clubs have the same problems as any club in any other league.

Yes I will be helping - if the move goes ahead Gissy will be looking at gaining an approx extra 40 - 50k which will be needed to compete with the Ballarat teams. This is already being discussed with APEC leading the way in sponsorship if Gissy join.

1 V 2 earlier at the Graveyard - South V Gissy - 150 people attened the game - half paying as half were members or players - that is $750 is gate receipt.

Gis V Sunba will have at least 1,500 people if Gis run the family day on round 1. At least 1,300 will be paying the $10 - there is 13k on the gate - not taking into account the booze and food and tickets sold through ticket master.

Yes I will be helping - .

Well that's good to hear, because too many people like offering solutions but rarely get their hands dirty. Best of luck to Gissy however they decide to go.

Me personally, I hope they stay.

ANSWER : BENDIGO BANK

ANSWER: VAFA HAS 73% OF CLUBS LINKED TO SCHOOL. AUTOMATIC FEEDERS

ANSWER: TRADING INSOLVENTLY IS AN OFFENCE
YOU HAVE TO HAVE MONEY IN THE BANK TO MAKE IT TO NEXT FOOTY SEASON

ANSWER: ITS THE 15-20 SMALL BUSINESSES WHO CANT AFFORD THE $1000 THEY USUALLY THROW IN IS WHAT THE CLUB FEELS

ANSWER : "SELLING HOPE" IS WHAT THE MORTGAGE BROKER DOES. I STAND BY THE COMMENT THAT THE FOOTBALL COMMUNITY EXPECT A PLAN DELIVERED CLOSE TO THE MARK ON WHAT HAS INITIALLY BEEN FORMALISED

ANSWER ; BUSINESS INDICATORS ARE BASED ON QUARTERLY REPORTS AND WHEN THINGS ARE AT THEIR LOWEST THE ONLY WAY IS UP. 2ND QUARTER THIS FY WILL DICTATE OUR REAL POSITION.
Again, the current BFL staff are to blame here. Not money.

ANSWER; AGREE. EASIEST PART OF THE WHOLE PIECE TO CHANGE. SMALL CHANGES AS STATED CAN MAKE A LARGE DIFFERENCE. PULL UP BANNER WITH LOGOS AND SPONSORS WHEN ON TV ARE WORTH $100.

ABOVE responses in regards to this. Good debate and I dont agree with alot but at least you have a few ideas and if Ollie wants he can cut and paste a few to start with the strategic direction. :D

If Ollie walked from the job tomorrow is there an administrator in Bendigo that the BFL should or could target?

i notice a few ballarat footy league officials at gardiner reserve yesterday.
i wonder if they will still want gisborne after what they served up.
gardiner reserve is no longer the graveyard, it's a paradise.:D

interesting Goat, wonder how long it's been since Bendigo FL officials have been down to Gissy.

Top 3 is set... here's the race for the other 2 spots...

4 Eaglehawk 112.65% 32
Square - away
Gisborne - home
Castlemaine - home
Sandhurst - away

5 Kangaroo Flat 101.80% 32
South - home
Strath - away
Kyneton - away
Maryborough - home

6 Sandhurst 86.51% 24
Castlemaine - away
Kyneton - home
South - QEO
Strath - away
Eaglehawk - home

interesting Goat, wonder how long it's been since Bendigo FL officials have been down to Gissy.

4 Kangaroo Flat 101.80% 48
South - home WIN
Strath - away WIN
Kyneton - away WIN
Maryborough - home WIN

5 Eaglehawk 112.65% 36
Square - away LOSS
Gisborne - home LOSS
Castlemaine - home WIN
Sandhurst - away ?

6 Sandhurst 86.51% 36
Castlemaine - away WIN
Kyneton - home WIN
South - QEO LOSS
Strath - away WIN
Eaglehawk - home ?

So the last round will determine the outcome of fifth spot? anyone think the same?

So the last round will determine the outcome of fifth spot? anyone think the same?
I just don't see Eaglehawk losing to Gisborne at home. Sandhurst would have to defeat South at the QEO to still be in the race in the last round - and that's providing they beat Castlemaine this week.

(I make these comments as a Sandhurst supporter).

I also see the premiership as a two horse race between South & Square. Maryborough are currently as good/better than any of the other teams in the five but have left their run too late.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I just don't see Eaglehawk losing to Gisborne at home. Sandhurst would have to defeat South at the QEO to still be in the race in the last round - and that's providing they beat Castlemaine this week.

(I make these comments as a Sandhurst supporter).

I also see the premiership as a two horse race between South & Square. Maryborough are currently as good/better than any of the other teams in the five but have left their run too late.

Yep, I concur Bunyip... will come down to percentage and Eaglehawk V Sandhurst in the last game.

Albury - Gisborne were given an absolute pounding by Ty Elliot. 6am Sunday morning training session after the Square game. Big guns to come back, they will be out to prove a point against the Burra.

It wont draw any more supporters by joining the BalFL unless the ex-Riddell league sides really marry up and create old rivalries again. BalFL sides have no support and it sucks. Ex-Riddell league sides take more supporters to away games than local sides have at their games. We need Gisborne to join to give us more solidarity but you seriously need to consider wether or not you enjoy umpiring decisions that run at around 70-30% against (that is Darleys rate over the past 2 years and not far off the same for other eastern sides), you have to be willing to get weeks every time a player is reported (regardless of severity or guilt in the incident) and you have to expect to lose cases when your players are victims. I am by no means a bitter supporter because Darley are doing just fine but thats just the way it rolls. There are a few guys on the BalFL really trying to make a difference but the league still has too many old goldrush veterans who have their fingers in the pie and will cheat any way they can to make sure the premierships stay in Ballarat city.

It wont draw any more supporters by joining the BalFL unless the ex-Riddell league sides really marry up and create old rivalries again. BalFL sides have no support and it sucks. Ex-Riddell league sides take more supporters to away games than local sides have at their games. We need Gisborne to join to give us more solidarity but you seriously need to consider wether or not you enjoy umpiring decisions that run at around 70-30% against (that is Darleys rate over the past 2 years and not far off the same for other eastern sides), you have to be willing to get weeks every time a player is reported (regardless of severity or guilt in the incident) and you have to expect to lose cases when your players are victims. I am by no means a bitter supporter because Darley are doing just fine but thats just the way it rolls. There are a few guys on the BalFL really trying to make a difference but the league still has too many old goldrush veterans who have their fingers in the pie and will cheat any way they can to make sure the premierships stay in Ballarat city.
Pretty much what Gisborne have been dealing with since 2000.

Darley supporter ?

What a pissa !

I dont see what the pisser is? I kicked 6 on Adam Icely one arvo and was constantly tagged by Ollie, not to mention the tonne i made in a semi final before i drank a slab and put Noodle Cannard in a headlock at the Vic. Gisborne is a happy hunting ground for me pal-

I dont see what the pisser is? I kicked 6 on Adam Icely one arvo and was constantly tagged by Ollie, not to mention the tonne i made in a semi final before i drank a slab and put Noodle Cannard in a headlock at the Vic. Gisborne is a happy hunting ground for me pal-
Sorry for the mix up. Perspicuous 1 is obviously still running a few users.

And another red card

Pissa !

Pretty much what Gisborne have been dealing with since 2000.

Darley supporter ?

What a pissa !

I'll tell you what the pisser is.........

Observing how your mind works backslapper !

Its like watching a Lab Rat trying to navigate its way through a maze searching for the cheese.......... Hilarious :D:D:D:D:D

Sorry for the mix up. Perspicuous 1 is obviously still running a few users.

And another red card

Pissa !

Your love affair with KA is the only true pissa Vern. Oh and Charlies wooden leg.. oh and Sharpies hair line... oh and the asbestos that you dumped on your ground.. to be honest it goes on and on but you are a sad human.

4 Eaglehawk 112.65% 32 - 36
Square - away LOSS
Gisborne - home LOSS
Castlemaine - home WIN
Sandhurst - away LOSS

6 Sandhurst 86.51% 24 - 36
Kyneton - home WIN
South - QEO LOSS
Strath - away WIN

Eaglehawk - home WIN

This is the only way Sandhurst can make the 5. Stranger things have happened, but highly unlikely.

What's news boys? The moderators have made this thread a ghost town... BB, KA red carded... ANYONE OUT THERE???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back