Whats to stop Rawlings and Stevens from...

Remove this Banner Ad

Originally posted by The Goods
So - I totally misread the clause, as correctly noted by Porthos - this means there will be nothing at all to stop Stevens nominating a one year contract and then leaving via the pre season draft ... except I doubt there is any club that will offer him a one year contract.
We would begrugingly accept a one year contract. Then he can go wherever he wants!

So, if you sign a contract in December you cannot be traded in October the following year, as you have not served 1 year of that contract.
I guess it depends on what the AFL consider to be a year of service. It seems pretty stupidly worded though, but I guess Brendan Gale isn't a genius.

Why would they push for players to have less options come the trading period? Its bizarre.

Originally posted by whythelongface
Won't happen with Rawlings as he is ready to accept the fact that he will be a bulldog (assuming they choose him in the PSD). He is keen on a 3 yr contract and if this is what is offered then he will be signing the dotted line and putting his heart and soul into whomevers picks him up.
He wanted to and tried to become a Roo but it just didn't work out that way. I think he has now accepted it and will sign within a week or two.

Originally posted by kelman
I am sure I read in one of the papers that IF you NOMINATE a price, you have to sign a TWO year deal with the club that takes you.

Correct.

Also, if a player nominates his price it becomes a matter public record. I understand Rawlings is not keen for this to happen and will not nominate his price for the PSD. The deal with the Bulldogs will be done well before then.

My God! You HAVE to sign a 2 year deal? Is that definitely so? I can't imagine that ever being held up in court as not being a restraint of trade with all the draft rules etc. Not only do you have no choice of employer you have no ability to sign a 1 year deal witgh an employer not of your chosing? Does the AFL really want legal rules?

So, if you sign a contract in December you cannot be traded in October the following year, as you have not served 1 year of that contract.

I'd have to assume that the rule is a year equals until the end of a season. Otherwise the club could equally justifiably say when the pre-season draft comes around again that the player is still under contract until December, therefore they can't nominate for the draft - meaning the only way a player could leave the club would be to quit football.

I'm sure if Carlton & Collingwood tried to trade for Nick Stevens, Carlton would ask for heaps (Alan Didak) and Collingwood would refuse leaving Stevens to go into the PSD where clubs will be very reluctant to pick him because they believe it will only be for a year, so they won't both and he will end up playing for Williamstown................which is almost Collinwood! lol :p

Originally posted by MarkT
My God! You HAVE to sign a 2 year deal? Is that definitely so? I can't imagine that ever being held up in court as not being a restraint of trade with all the draft rules etc. Not only do you have no choice of employer you have no ability to sign a 1 year deal witgh an employer not of your chosing? Does the AFL really want legal rules?

You can sign a one year deal, but not if you nominate your price. That is my understanding. So he could still play one year and then be unreasonable so as to force a trade after his year of service. Or he could nominate a huge price then take a paycut once he gets to his preferred club. All sounds like too much hassle, just go to Bulldogs Rawlings and go to Carlton Stevens, and be happy you're getting paid **** loads to PLAY SPORT for a living.

Originally posted by Porthos
One year of service from a star player, and probably still get a first round pick out of a trade.

Pick 17 and a second stringer is all they would get.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Whats to stop Rawlings and Stevens from...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back