Game Day When the Saints go Marching In vs the Flying High. Also, Fat Man's 150th.

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reminiscence

All Australian
Sep 8, 2010
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
New York Rangers, Charlotte Hornets
I have the privilege and pleasure of bringing to you Saturday's blockbuster between the Saints and the Eagles.
Apologies for being late on this preview, but lets just say between my life choices and work I've let myself go like Gov at the buffet table in Bali.

Let's begin with recent form.
Eagles have leaked more goals in recent memory the last four weeks it reminiscences me back when the great man Ken Judge was coach.
Last week they stood up against a wildly angry Adelaide Crows.
The first quarter was ugly, and many a supporter would of almost thrown up in their mouth at how piss poor we played.
And then suddenly it clicked...

Big boy raging Yeo, TK, Westy and Shuey all asserted their dominance with silver service from Nic Nat, as they flexed on those poor Crows.
You know what they say about big birds. Bigger wingspan, bigger c....laws.
The big boys up front in Darling and Allen were well held, so it was the mosquito fleet of Petch, Ryan and Crippa dominating and sending the foul beasts back into the Abyss.
Defensively, Harry Edwards, McGovern and the COLE train were very good, while 45 year old looking Shannon Hurn wound back the ages for one of the biggest quarters of 2021.
All was well with the world, and the Crows crumbled away.

On the other side, the Saints battled manfully on against a Port Adelaide side that seemingly underachieves each year, right next to Melbourne.
Melbourne's law, if they do not disappoint you and sh*t the bed yet; it is only to further disappoint you at a later date when yes, the bed is wet, your life sucks and hey, you support Melbourne Demons who are a trash can side who have no success and are associated with the biggest flog in AFL in Gary Lyon.
But i digress.
Saints are a weaker team, but you cannot discount their passion.
Steele, Dunstan and Crouch form a solid midfield of big bodies, while Hill provides the cherry on top of the sundae.
Contested ball is their game, and they play kick it to Maxy King or the poor-man's Jake Stringer in Membrey. Except Membrey actually shows up just about every game, while the Package goes missing like Australia Post promising they delivered your parcel. Danger man here is Membrey.

Key Matchups:

Yeo/TK/Westy/Gaff/Sheed vs Dunstan/Steele/Crouch/Webster/Ross.
Both teams i feel match up quite well; but I feel that Saint's contested ball is one of their hallmarks. The return of the beast Yeo and chucking in the hard man Westy has really improved us as a contested team. Gaff should not be anywhere near the contest or the centre square. It's like boxing with one arm when Gaff is in there.

Nic Nat vs Paddy Ryder
A really good ruckman, against the GOAT Tapper. Ryder will challenge, but NN will dominate.
Always does.
What a monster
What a beast
What a god
Love me some Nic Nat

Max King vs Harry Edwards
Harry Edwards will eat this bloke for breakfast.
Already such a good defender, love me some Harry.
I think i speak for all of us that we hope he has/gets a super hot missus and makes like 30 children; who are all 200 cm beasts like he is.

Shuey vs Soft Tissue Injuries
Oh bother...

Josh Kennedy vs non-household named Saints Defenders
Bearded god to kick 10 and get free whoppers for life from HJs as he rips apart his jersey to reveal the burger tattoo on his chest, just below the beard tattoo.

Final thoughts:
You've made it this far; as I've rambled on like a pork chop. Impressive.
It's also McGovern's 150th; he made it. McMuffins, McNuggets. McGovern. The iconic trio.
He's been a 4 time All-Australian.
He's been a premiership player.
He's been one of the pillars of our backline for the last few year, champion of the game.
And he's still fat.
Good on you Gov.
We will remember you, not for the flower bag against Port. Not for the mark on Myerchek who folded like a wet tissue. Not for winning the premiership in 18 with us.
But for being fat.
Our version of Stuart Dew, an unlikely bulky hero.
Make plenty of babies as well, so we can have a team of fatties running around in 18-25 years time.
We can finally produce the big bodied inside midfielder bull we've been looking for.

Prediction:
Mark McGowan shuts the border around Optus Stadium to the rest of WA; until he realizes that he's locked both teams out and neither of them can actually play. Fearing for his popularity, he opens it promptly.
Eagles arrive 1 hour early, as they get to fly in on the wings of Nic Naitanui's private 737.
Saints march; they have as much commitment as a CFMEU rally until they realize the local pub is serving beers at 10 in the morning and will arrive unprepared with 5 minutes to go.

Eagles by 20; leading by 84 at 3Q time and falling off the cliff like Wile E. Coyote chasing the Road Runner.

As usual don't know what to expect with this game, an ambush, a rumble, WC smash the Saints, WC just win, WC just lose, WC get smashed?
To rain or not to rain? A slog-fest in the mush?
A must win game! :rolleyes: o_O:oops::eek:
My fantasy and reality are converging, WC by 14 points?
But could just as easily be Saints by 27 points?
So many questions, so few answers.
Like the team, am lacking confidence...
Umm, go the eagles!

As usual don't know what to expect with this game, an ambush, a rumble, WC smash the Saints, WC just win, WC just lose, WC get smashed?
To rain or not to rain? A slog-fest in the mush?
A must win game! :rolleyes: o_O:oops::eek:
My fantasy and reality are converging, WC by 14 points?
But could just as easily be Saints by 27 points?
So many questions, so few answers.
Like the team, am lacking confidence...
Umm, go the eagles!
Yeah it's a bit like that isn't it....we have been all over the place this season. No idea what to expect from the boys today.

I think having Yeo back gives us the edge in the middle. If Kanye West can show us his clean hands and composure again that will also help to stand up to the pressure the saints midfield will throw at us. They ran over us like a steam train in the middle last time. Hoping Simmo recognises and can counter appropriately when the pressure rises.

Boys better lower their eyes too and not just kick blindly to 3 on 1’s

Have a feeling that we may see the biggest win of the season for the club today.

Hutchings to tag Z.Jones, Yeo to go head-to-head on J.Steele. Leaving the rest of the midfield to feed off the dominance given by Naitanui in the ruck.

Kennedy always plays well after a rest whilst Cripps and Ryan (who are exceptionally important to the performance of our forward structure) are returning to form.

Kelly also loves playing against the Saints - expect to see him among the best on ground.

Ironically, I suspect the loss of Shuey may actually help the composition of the midfield to 'click' and improve each other (and the team's performance overall).

Have a feeling that we may see the biggest win of the season for the club today.

Hutchings to tag Z.Jones, Yeo to go head-to-head on J.Steele. Leaving the rest of the midfield to feed off the dominance given by Naitanui in the ruck.

Kennedy always plays well after a rest whilst Cripps and Ryan (who are exceptionally important to the performance of our forward structure) are returning to form.

Kelly also loves playing against the Saints - expect to see him among the best on ground.

Ironically, I suspect the loss of Shuey may actually help the composition of the midfield to 'click' and improve each other (and the team's performance overall).
Here's hoping Dylan! Certainly lots of 'payback' motivation on home deck. A big win you'd think would really galvanise the team going forward. Many of the same opinion re Shuey out (or one less mid) actually helps our composition, seems to help TK? Or is it how the coaches play the mids? Would like to see Redden back in. It's a peculiar problem to have, given how desperate we were to get mids back and our lack of midfield depth for a long time..?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Inauspicious graffiti spotted on the morning walk...
fdc2487ca3f460b28f9386232d88f522.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back