Where are the weights?

Remove this Banner Ad

bootrossbootross

minor rules infractor
Jan 6, 2021
AFL Club
Adelaide
List of global "ball" sports that report height and weight of players:

Rugby League (M+W), Rugby Union, Soccer, Basketball (M+W), American Football (M+W), Basketball (M+W), Baseball, Ice Hockey, Tennis (M+W)

List that don't:

Netball, Australian Rules Football

Why has the AFL decided that weight is not an important metric for the fans to know? How much fan engagement was conducted when making this change? Why was there no official explanation other than just disappearing this metric? Why don't any commentators push back on this? Why don't any of the so called football "journalists" push back on this?

A few years ago on this forum I raised the topic of women's weight not being listed, hoping that it would start. Instead, it has been taken out completely.

I get the AFL is trying to turn Australian Rules into a non/minimal contact sport in order to maximise participation, this is what happens when Lawyers and Accountants are given the keys to the house, but why oh why would someone have thought this is a good idea.

I also get that there will be some who see this as a brave stance to combat body image problems.

Given the lack of discussion around this I guess I am in the minority or perhaps completely alone in this being a stupid, embarrassing and symbolic change which only serves to weaken everybody involved.

In my view it reeks of the rotting hole the AFL has slowly dug for itself, which really began in earnest when the message went out years ago for all involved to start calling it an "industry". Disappearing what should be a basic metric for a contact sport should demonstrate how the AFL has autocracy, disdain for fans, bullying, and a hate for free speech at the heart of its values.

I will be back when the AFL becomes a football first organisation (if it ever was). I pray for the ghost of Kerry Packer to weave some magic on the AFL like he did to the outdated world cricket leadership all those years ago. Any billionaires out there with some spare cash, I have some idea's.

TLDR: Bring back the damn weights of the players you clown world makers.

List of global "ball" sports that report height and weight of players:

Rugby League (M+W), Rugby Union, Soccer, Basketball (M+W), American Football (M+W), Basketball (M+W), Baseball, Ice Hockey, Tennis (M+W)

List that don't:

Netball, Australian Rules Football

Why has the AFL decided that weight is not an important metric for the fans to know? How much fan engagement was conducted when making this change? Why was there no official explanation other than just disappearing this metric? Why don't any commentators push back on this? Why don't any of the so called football "journalists" push back on this?

A few years ago on this forum I raised the topic of women's weight not being listed, hoping that it would start. Instead, it has been taken out completely.

I get the AFL is trying to turn Australian Rules into a non/minimal contact sport in order to maximise participation, this is what happens when Lawyers and Accountants are given the keys to the house, but why oh why would someone have thought this is a good idea.

I also get that there will be some who see this as a brave stance to combat body image problems.

Given the lack of discussion around this I guess I am in the minority or perhaps completely alone in this being a stupid, embarrassing and symbolic change which only serves to weaken everybody involved.

In my view it reeks of the rotting hole the AFL has slowly dug for itself, which really began in earnest when the message went out years ago for all involved to start calling it an "industry". Disappearing what should be a basic metric for a contact sport should demonstrate how the AFL has autocracy, disdain for fans, bullying, and a hate for free speech at the heart of its values.

I will be back when the AFL becomes a football first organisation (if it ever was). I pray for the ghost of Kerry Packer to weave some magic on the AFL like he did to the outdated world cricket leadership all those years ago. Any billionaires out there with some spare cash, I have some idea's.

TLDR: Bring back the damn weights of the players you clown world makers.

I always feel better after a good cry as well.

Just so you’re aware the weights were wildly inaccurate and unregulated (self reported)

For instance, my friend worked at a few clubs, I asked him about the weight of player X as he was listed at 182cm and 84kg

I’m that height and weight, and I asked him when I saw that stat if he thought they were accurate (as I feel I am MUCH bigger than that player)

He asked me the weight, and when I said 84kg he laughed and said “I’m fairly sure when we weigh him at the club he is sub-80”

The next time he weighed him, he reported back, 78kg - and that was pre-training but post breakfast, hydration, clothed etc.

So this player listed at 84kg is in all likelihood more like 76kg when they wake, fasted and unclothed - which if you’ve seen players in person you’d know is about right, they aren’t big, bulky guys (for the most part)

So the outrage of the omission is overstated as the weights were always inaccurate to begin with. Ex footballers and commentators have spoken about this before, it’s common industry knowledge.

Just so you’re aware the weights were wildly inaccurate and unregulated (self reported)

For instance, my friend worked at a few clubs, I asked him about the weight of player X as he was listed at 182cm and 84kg

I’m that height and weight, and I asked him when I saw that stat if he thought they were accurate (as I feel I am MUCH bigger than that player)

He asked me the weight, and when I said 84kg he laughed and said “I’m fairly sure when we weigh him at the club he is sub-80”

The next time he weighed him, he reported back, 78kg - and that was pre-training but post breakfast, hydration, clothed etc.

So this player listed at 84kg is in all likelihood more like 76kg when they wake, fasted and unclothed - which if you’ve seen players in person you’d know is about right, they aren’t big, bulky guys (for the most part)

So the outrage of the omission is overstated as the weights were always inaccurate to begin with. Ex footballers and commentators have spoken about this before, it’s common industry knowledge.
It really is garbage. If you go out for the night and eat crap for dinner you can easily be 3-4kg heavier the next day. Taking weight on a random day in pre-season is meaningless.

It really is garbage. If you go out for the night and eat crap for dinner you can easily be 3-4kg heavier the next day. Taking weight on a random day in pre-season is meaningless.
Yeah high sodium, high carbohydrate meal with a lot of water and you could easily fluctuate that much

You can see how big the players are right? It’s not a big deal is it

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I just don’t think this is the hill to die on. Who cares if they didn’t engage with the fans prior to making such an unimportant decision?

You can use your eyes. Tom Hawkins big, strong. Caleb Daniel not big, not strong.

1. Weight isn’t actually that relevant of a statistic for a footballer.

2. Eating disorders are no joke. If not displaying weights helps prevent a player, or a fan (especially teenagers) from obsessing over the number on a scale then that’s a good thing.

3. If this is the kind of thing that actually makes you angry/annoyed you don’t get to criticise others for being overly sensitive.

Remove this Banner Ad

Where are the weights?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back