Ad76

All Australian
Aug 23, 2005
Baltimore
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Adelaide
With all these trades going on, no doubt we've all spent some time this week looking over the team sheet and plugging in new names. I certainly have, and it's left me wondering what we're going to see from this guy in 2012.

I for one havent given up hope of him becoming a big part of our best 22. With a new coach this year it's a bit of a fresh start for him again, and we have invested enough that you'd expect him to be given plenty of opportunity.

I was disappointed with him this year, and it seems as though he's a poor fit for the running half back role that the club had in mind when they brought him in. The wing is a possibility, but personally I'd like to see him get his chance up forward. It's been well documented that we've been crying out for a crumber up there. Stick him up there at Tippet's feet and lets see what happens. Have a look at this and lets hear some thoughts...

[YOUTUBE]PVST-flDOLI[/YOUTUBE]

loved the package:thumbsu:

really do hope Tambling succeeds for you guys, he has some great attributes and with a full pre season could defiantly blossom into a decent player.hes been tried in every position bar ruck and has had moments in each respectively but i feel he is best when hes using his pace and breaking the lines.

We needed to invest games into him this year, to rebuild his confidence.

Instead we bafflingly threw him away early in the season and barely gave him a look in from then on out.

Im holding out hope that playing for his fourth coach in the past 5 seasons finally gets him the fresh start he needs, and lets him use the weapons that we presumably saw in him when we paid so much to get him. Let him use his pace, and skills and damage the other team.

Didn't get a fair run last year and actually looked OK in his first few games before getting suspended and then injured.

Should play a HB/W/HF role for us this year and just needs to have a solid run in the team without the pressure of being a #4 draft pick. Still young enough to have his best years ahead of him.

I think Tambling suffers from the sheer expectation of being a top5 draft pick, when ever you watch him play you can tell he has a million other things going through his head.

I think another problem was that Wallace gifted both he and Deledio games regardless of form, you can tell he still has lazy aspects in his game that should have been taken out of his game the day he was drafted, I think Sanderson needs to release Tambling and tell him to just chase the ball around, build his confidence up and you should get some decent service out of him yet.

Was very good in the opener against Hawthorn. I think some people forget how well he played that night.

I think it's mostly us and a little bit him. Craig didn't give him consistency and Bickley just didn't give him a shot. Was told to work on his run and dare which we recruited him for and was eventually able to do it, but never really got a look back in.

I'll be very interested to see how Sando rates him. He obviously struggles with confidence and overthinks his decisions/disposal. The more opportunity he gets and the more he contributes in other ways, the less he'll think about that stuff.

His physicality and effort was very good, his contested ball was solid and we have to remember that he had pretty poor fitness base with his injury in the pre-season. I think we'll see a fresher, better Tambling next season, someone who runs over the ground rather than through it.

Personally I'm not huge on him as a defender, especially not with his confidence issues. Would rather get him closer to the action, either in the guts or on a wing. He is a natural midfielder after all.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nice Video. I never realised Tambling was that quick. If he can get that pace back he could start living up to his potential.

I suppose it'd be wrong to judge him based on a highlight reel but he seems to play better when acting on sheer instinct (snapping goals in the forward line). Maybe they should move him out of defense or play him in a position where doesnt have time to overthink his disposal.

There were hints of Troy Bond magic in that video and thats something we need at the AFC.

Also agree that I would like to see him go forward, but who's spot does he take? Surely Henderson takes Gunstons place!
Who takes Hendos place then? ;)

For memory he looked quite out of position when when Richmond played him down forward so not sure that would be the best position for him (also remember we have Porps to come back into our forward line).

I cant believe how much love there is for Tambling on Bigfooty.....

I think he has 12 months to make his mark otherwise we need to move on and so does he.

All this "its Craigs fault" is rubbish to me. If he was good enough he would of bounced back like the good players do.

The Tambling trade takes all the shine off the Jacobs trade IMO.

12 months or out!

I cant believe how much love there is for Tambling on Bigfooty.....

I think he has 12 months to make his mark otherwise we need to move on and so does he.

All this "its Craigs fault" is rubbish to me. If he was good enough he would of bounced back like the good players do.

The Tambling trade takes all the shine off the Jacobs trade IMO.

12 months or out!
Craig obviously didn't want him. So why did we recruit him?

The list management and the coaching/selection seemed to be on different pages with this one. Dropping him seemed like a powerplay from the selectors, making a point 'see, you should have listened to us.'

Given our use of him, it was just a non-sensical trade that flushed our compo pick down the toilet. He was a risky pick up but had some upside I thought. We had a thin window to get it right. Tambling would go from a club where he was maligned and made the scapegoat, symbolic of everything Richmond has done wrong for 30 years. A new start at a new club, out of Melbourne, away from Franklin's shadow where he would be embraced and maybe we would have seen his best football.

We ****ed it completely. Now he's just a maligned player at a different club. His problems have followed him.

I don't know if 'another' fresh start with Sando will do the trick. Last chance I guess.

Craig obviously didn't want him. So why did we recruit him?

The list management and the coaching/selection seemed to be on different pages with this one. Dropping him seemed like a powerplay from the selectors, making a point 'see, you should have listened to us.'

Given our use of him, it was just a non-sensical trade that flushed our compo pick down the toilet. He was a risky pick up but had some upside I thought. We had a thin window to get it right. Tambling would go from a club where he was maligned and made the scapegoat, symbolic of everything Richmond has done wrong for 30 years. A new start at a new club, out of Melbourne, away from Franklin's shadow where he would be embraced and maybe we would have seen his best football.

We ****ed it completely. Now he's just a maligned player at a different club. His problems have followed him.

I don't know if 'another' fresh start with Sando will do the trick. Last chance I guess.

Our treatment of him was strange. The high amount we paid for him was strange. His response after getting dropped justified all the bad stigma attatched to the name Tambling.

We needed to invest games into him this year, to rebuild his confidence.

Instead we bafflingly threw him away early in the season and barely gave him a look in from then on out.

Im holding out hope that playing for his fourth coach in the past 5 seasons finally gets him the fresh start he needs, and lets him use the weapons that we presumably saw in him when we paid so much to get him. Let him use his pace, and skills and damage the other team.

Its actually six if you want to count the caretakers.

1. Wallace
2. Rawlings
3. Hardwick
4. Craig
5. Bickley - still counts despite him having no interest in playing him.
6. Sanderson

I think Tambling suffers from the sheer expectation of being a top5 draft pick, when ever you watch him play you can tell he has a million other things going through his head.

I think another problem was that Wallace gifted both he and Deledio games regardless of form, you can tell he still has lazy aspects in his game that should have been taken out of his game the day he was drafted, I think Sanderson needs to release Tambling and tell him to just chase the ball around, build his confidence up and you should get some decent service out of him yet.

Yeah, I think youve hit the nail on the head re not getting dropped. Whilst Deledio was ready from word go, Tambling was not, it was plain for all and sundry to see and yet it seemed that because he was a pick 4, he should be and thus was played.

So instead of building up confidence and working on deficiencies at VFL level, he was struggling away at AFL level and just lost his enjoyment of the game. He hasn't regained this.

Injuries havn't helped either, from memory he's only had on genuine preseason (09) which culminated in far and away his best season. Nothing builds confidence like a good preseason and I think we'll see a very different Tambling this year coming.

From memor

Remove this Banner Ad

Where to for Tambling?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back