ruscy002

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 27, 2007
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood
Struggling to see what's going to be best for him in the coming weeks. Obviously going back to the SANFL will come with benefits, particularly for his confidence. The other school of thought is that he'd benefit more from extended exposure at the highest level, but will there actually be any benefit considering the fact that his output and influence on matches isn't going to be great?

His output against Sydney was poor, but I'd still give him one more week in the AFL. I can appreciate the fact that its sometimes difficult for the big guys (both young and experienced) on the smaller SGC and so he might have been a bit lost as a result of this (as he was against the Eagles at Subiaco on the bigger than normal ground). But if he struggles again this week then I'd like to see him head back to the SANFL for a couple of weeks to recapture form and confidence.

Do we persist with him at all costs or give him a chance to monster some poor bastards in the SANFL?

Stick with him.

Who else is there.

Given the circumstances, he's been bloody fantastic this year.

Yeah leave him at AFL level for next weeks game against Carlton at least. If the weather is nice we can probably expose Carlton a little with some height.

Side note: Can't believe they got back and beat the Doggies :eek:

He looked so frustrated last night when he came to the bench in the second half. After when he came back on again, he was really pressing to get his hand son the ball. Was making some strong leads, but was ignored, and when he did sneak back into the forward line his endeavor for the ball was fantastic, he just kept trying and trying.

While that doesn't necessarily count, I believe the smaller SCG played against him and I don't think he was in the right position.

He has been good the past couple of weeks, when given the opportunity, so hopefully he'll pick up again next week back at AAMI.

Yeah leave him at AFL level for next weeks game against Carlton at least. If the weather is nice we can probably expose Carlton a little with some height.

Side note: Can't believe they got back and beat the Doggies :eek:
shows that Dogs aren't that much greater than the rest of the competition (excluding bottom 4).

sure, Tippett's form hasn't been great; but what other options are there...he's the future, and i'd rather play him than Jericho, or Sellar, who's not ready for afl. let Tippett play out the season; i don't see the harm in that.

If he went back to the SANFL he would have to ruck all game, it would be a waste if he played forward for West.

Good point indeed.

As many have suggested, I think his current situation is very much born of problems further up the field. However, lately his confidence just seems to hang by a thread, would like to see him regain some of that in the SANFL if he's not up and about this week.

I reckon he should just be given more rucking duties. Moran, Bock and Maric/Griff can all play in the goal square. Give Tippett a run on the ball to let him get his hands on it early and build his confidence.

I reckon he should just be given more rucking duties. Moran, Bock and Maric/Griff can all play in the goal square. Give Tippett a run on the ball to let him get his hands on it early and build his confidence.

Don't mind that school of thought too. Like what I've seen of Moran (his ability to take a constested mark anyway) and I really rate Maric's ability as a key forward. Good hands, footy smarts and a golden boot.

I'd play Tippett in the ruck for the first bounce this week. He was good as backup against Carlton earlier this year (had more hitouts than Cloke and Kreuzer) so we wont lose too much from that, and it'll ensure that he's right into it from the start.

Interestingly, Griffin racked up 35 hitouts against the Blues in round 6, wonder if that and his good match yesterday for the doggies will tempt Craigy into calling him up...

What’s his best long term position - Ruck or forward?

Will west Adelaide play his as a permanent forward so he can develop in this position, possibly not and more than likely play him in the ruck So in my opinion due to the fact we cannot control where our players are played the best thing for his long term development is to stay in the AFL side.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Will west Adelaide play his as a permanent forward so he can develop in this position, possibly not and more than likely play him in the ruck So in my opinion due to the fact we cannot control where our players are played the best thing for his long term development is to stay in the AFL side.

Yeah, I agree with that.

He's certainly not playing overly well at the moment, but he'll learn more by playing at this level than getting drubbed at Westies.

I think we got better use out of him earlier in the season when he was sharing ruck duties and pinch hitting up forward. We'll benefit as a club whether his development is in the ruck or as a forward, but I guess we see him as the key forward we've waited 10 years for (well, he and Walker) so that's where we should develop him.

I get the feeling we'll find out a lot more about Tippett than we have all season after the game against Carlton. It should be an open game with plenty of scoring opportunities, it's the perfect match for him to get back to his early season form. I'd be somewhat worried if he can't get amongst it this week.

I think we got better use out of him earlier in the season when he was sharing ruck duties and pinch hitting up forward. We'll benefit as a club whether his development is in the ruck or as a forward, but I guess we see him as the key forward we've waited 10 years for (well, he and Walker) so that's where we should develop him.

I get the feeling we'll find out a lot more about Tippett than we have all season after the game against Carlton. It should be an open game with plenty of scoring opportunities, it's the perfect match for him to get back to his early season form. I'd be somewhat worried if he can't get amongst it this week.

I wouldn’t be overly fused if he continues to play like he is for the reminder of the season as long as he is learning. The club has to keep educating him on how to play the game both as a forward and as a ruckman and demand he implements the correct habits he is learning. At this point of the season I suspect he is nearly spent and almost running on empty both physically and mentally but over the pre season he can work on those things and become a better player next year.

Every 1 AFL games he plays is like playing 10 SANFL games against top quality sides. Come next season when hopefully Trent Hentschel, Nick Gill and Taylor Walker are in the same forward line with him – a lot of the pressure will be released and he will reap the rewards of playing now.

The problem with the clubs management of Tippett at the moment is that he's hardly touching the ball and loosing confidence, for a young player it can actually set them back considerably. Obviously playing for Westies is not ideal, so the best bet is to play him and Maric in ruck with both resting at FF. This has some real benefits for all, and at the moment there is Moran to help out as ruck, Moran needs to work on that area in any case

I actually thought Tippy did well with the limited game time he got. Went in hard at the contests and tried his guts out. Next week we have a dilemma against the Blues. They are in cracking form at the moment and Fevola is on fire (thanks to a lightening fast and accurate mid-field fueled by Judd and co.). Rutten will get slaughtered by Fev, so that means Bocky must play back. Let's have Gill and Tippett as our forward targets.... or Gill and Moran? Tippy needs to stay in.. no benefit to him going back to Wests.

I actually thought Tippy did well with the limited game time he got. Went in hard at the contests and tried his guts out. Next week we have a dilemma against the Blues. They are in cracking form at the moment and Fevola is on fire (thanks to a lightening fast and accurate mid-field fueled by Judd and co.). Rutten will get slaughtered by Fev, so that means Bocky must play back. Let's have Gill and Tippett as our forward targets.... or Gill and Moran? Tippy needs to stay in.. no benefit to him going back to Wests.

Best bet is to swap Moran and Bocky, with his mobility and hands Moran will be good in there playing slightly further up towards the 50 from Tippett. This will stop the double teaming of Tippett and give him a better chance.

Tippett at FF, Moran in between and Gill at HF. Porps and Douglas supporting

Rutten stood him most of the match last time and Fev was kept to 1 from memory, wasn't he?

Did you watch Fev today? Have you been watching Truck? Earlier in the season is gone. This is the here and now. Truck WILL be slaughtered if he plays on the Fev. Delivery is now much cleaner and quicker. The leading Fevola is unstoppable - certainly by the slow Truck.

Best bet is to swap Moran and Bocky, with his mobility and hands Moran will be good in there playing slightly further up towards the 50 from Tippett. This will stop the double teaming of Tippett and give him a better chance.

Tippett at FF, Moran in between and Gill at HF. Porps and Douglas supporting

So which one of Tippett/Moran helps Maric with the ruck? I think Moran will be ok in that CHF role judging by the # of good contested marks he took against Sydney.

So which one of Tippett/Moran helps Maric with the ruck? I think Moran will be ok in that CHF role judging by the # of good contested marks he took against Sydney.

First choice is definitely Tippett. Swap him and Maric between Ruck and FF. Tippett I think is handy in ruck especially once it hits the ground or pack as he goes in hard and has decent disposal, added to his natrual ball smarts to get it to a team mate.

If they need some muscle throw Moran in there but better to leave him at CHF

Did you watch Fev today? Have you been watching Truck? Earlier in the season is gone. This is the here and now. Truck WILL be slaughtered if he plays on the Fev. Delivery is now much cleaner and quicker. The leading Fevola is unstoppable - certainly by the slow Truck.

But to say that he WILL...you never know he could surprise us! He was very good on Hall and while he's a different player to Fevola, you shouldn't write Rutten off.

What's with people writting the Truck off??

Maybe we should get Kepler Bradley instead.....

He plays the most scrutenised role in terms of how many goals the opposition kicks.

He takes the most dangerous forward most of the time and you guys winge about goals being kicked on him......

Go write in the "please not Bock" and "dear chris knights" threads, youy'll feel right at home with your ignorance.

Remove this Banner Ad

Where to for Tippett?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back