Where will Essendon finish in 2005?

Remove this Banner Ad

Sydney Eagle, the quality of your posts so far definitely suggests that you are not worth replying too and obviously know jack**** about football, but try and get your pea-brain around this.

Before this year, who would have thought that McPhee would become a gun? That's the thing about young players, they develop at their own rates. Just because Brent Stanton isn't as good as Judd at the same age, doesn't mean that he mightn't become a really good player. I could give you 10 Essendon youngsters who I think have the potential to become really good league players - you might laugh at me now, but whose to say that this time next year 2 or 3 or even 5 of them might have become really good players. Looking at your own team (who finished in the same part of the 8 as my own 'aging' team), who would even heard of the likes of McDougall, Waters etc. before this year (Eagles supporters aside). Because they have shown good development this year, all of a sudden you have got a gun young squad.

It is amazing how many of you 'so called experts' without having probably seen most of Essendon's kids first hand, can say that none of them are going to be any good - you obviously don't have to have any credibility to post on Big Footy!

Anyway, here's a list of Essendon's 23 and unders:
McVeigh
Hille
Welsh
Cupido
McPhee
Reynolds
Richards
Bullen
Watson
Laycock
Winderlich
Hunt
Henneman
Cartledge
Bradley
Stanton
Dyson
Nash
Cartledge
Monfries
Lee
Slattery
Thomas
*Ramanauskas just misses out, he has just turned 24 I think.

Of those, the top 5 are definite starters in Essendon's best 22 and include our number one ruckman (Hille), one of the best small defenders in the game (McVeigh), an all Australian and best and fairest winner, a future captain (Welsh) and a forward capable of kicking 50 goals in a season when fit (Cupido). Not surprisingly, our best youngsters are our older ones - hence the need for kids to be given time to develop - something that Sheeds seems to understand better than most!

Of the other kids, Richards, Bullen, Reynolds, Watson, Winderlich, Laycock, Stanton and Dyson will all be regular senior players or round abouts next year. FWIW, Reynolds will be the best of them in my opinion - with a fair run with injuries, he could be anything.

Finally, it is also no coincidence that Hird and Fletcher, two of our best players, are also 2 of our oldest - after all, they are both superstars and would be walk up starts in any side in the competition - yours included Sydney Eagle. Or maybe, according to your philosophy, we should replace them with youngsters just because they are youngsters, You see Essendon, unlike the Eagles hasn't had to play youngsters because the rest of their list hasn't been up to scratch (uncompetitive - refer the Eagles circa 2000 and 2001 for an excellent example of extremely poor list management - something that Essendon will never suffer from while Sheedy is coaching). If you look at premiership teams over the last 10 years, they all have their fare share of 'older' players.

Lock in Essendon as certain finalists for the next 5 years and don't be surprised if they snare a premiership as well. :cool:

Well if were not going to make the finals next year what we should do is finish 16th and then recruit our quality young talent. Its a class move and clealry pays dividends.....just ask the saints, they seem to be happy with being rewarded for mediocrity. No one knows what Essendon will do, simple as that. And I'll quote pazza on this topic "24 years and people still haven't learned".

SYDNEY_EAGLE said:
You're clearly lacking young talent.

Compare your best 23 & Under players with those on a quality young list.

Take West Coast's for example - all these guys will be 23 or younger at the start of the 2005 season:

1. Chris Judd
2. Daniel Kerr
3. Dean Cox
4. Ashley Sampi
5. Adam Hunter
6. Darren Glass
7. Adam Hunter
8. Andrew McDougall
9. Mark Seaby
10. Quinten Lynch
11. Sam Butler
12. Beau Waters
13. Mark Nicoski
14. Ash Hansen

That's our FB, CHB, FF, our 1st and 2nd ruckmen and 2 of our best midfielders.
All but Hansen and Nicoski are in our best 22. How does your 23 & Under list compare?

Agree in so far as Essendon are lacking quality young players, but don't get too carried away with the Weagles list. While your midfield is an obvious strength with Judd, but your KP froward setup is average at best (eg. 2004 final). Weagles should finish above Essendon, but won't have much impact until they get a quality CHF and FF. :)

I don't know why you essendon supporters are saying we say this every year for the last 24 years.

Most of you weren't following football until 2000 anyway, so how the hell would you know?

rick James said:
I don't know why you essendon supporters are saying we say this every year for the last 24 years.

Most of you weren't following football until 2000 anyway, so how the hell would you know?

Has all this rain in Melbourne caused much snow to fall up at Falls and Buller this week? I'd get in early and put the deposit on the condo early next year, it's an odd year remember.

I will say though I know a lot of people who jumped on the Bomber bandwagon after their 2000 Grand Final win over... yup everybody's Grand Final bitches, Melbourne.

rick James said:

Following since 1972 thanks :D
Even if it where true that most jumped on since 2000 then we must be doing somthing right for them to hop on board ;)

I would be thinking we will be in the 5th to 10th range.
I belive we have got enough tallent on our list but it wont be next season that it really shines. I think people will be surpised at what we do have once a few more of them get some game time. It is very easy to say we havnt got much compared to other sides when our guys havnt played a lot.
Sure the Eagles have a great young list but they have had to play all of them because of injuries and poor recruiting previously.
At the moment though too many of our young guys would have to take a huge step up for us to be near the best teams.

indeed Essdendon was doing something right to attact those members. Problem is, those kind of members are very likely to dessert the HMAS EssendonFC as soon as you guys start losing (provided that DOES happen, mind you).

But it's good to see that some essendon members can at least acknowledge the bandwagon jumping.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

marcuz said:
Don't take it so personally. We cant make the finals every year and there is every chance we will miss this year. Thats nothing to be worried about every team misses the finals, we just do it less often than most.

im not takin it personally. but dont tell me that ppl dont make a thread about the same thing every year. im actually gettin used to it so we then have the right to laugh in their face wen we make the finals

Quite frankly, I can't see Essendon bothering September next year. Of this year's eight, I struggle to see any of Port, Brisbane, St Kilda, Geelong, Melbourne or West Coast missing out, leaving two spots open. Fremantle will bounce back into the eight, no doubt, while I'd think an improving Carlton, the Pies with a couple less injuries would be better bets for the last spot than Essendon as they have more potential, while Sydney with the SCG are always a wildcard to make the finals, and while North will probably struggle, I don't think they're any worse than Essendon in that respect.

The only teams I feel Essendon should be better bets to make the finals in '05 than are this year's priority pick trio and Adelaide.

I have read all of the "bites" from the bombres(before you correct me, this is exactly how your cheer squad spells it) with great mirth and some of you make some sense.But I will give you guys the mail.

The best indication of your direction is you recruitment of Allan and Murphy .
Now before you all froth at the mouth, I will say that you got something more out of both of them .....but they are a cancer.........and the disease will kill you ......now you guys can watch this unfold....and cringe when you remember this post.

Would that be the same type of cancer that John Elliot gave Carlton, or a different type?

Dumb Post 'blu boy'

bluboy said:
I have read all of the "bites" from the bombres(before you correct me, this is exactly how your cheer squad spells it) with great mirth and some of you make some sense.But I will give you guys the mail.

The best indication of your direction is you recruitment of Allan and Murphy .
Now before you all froth at the mouth, I will say that you got something more out of both of them .....but they are a cancer.........and the disease will kill you ......now you guys can watch this unfold....and cringe when you remember this post.

brown_paper_bag.jpg

rick James said:

Yes some are like that..then again they are like that for every team who wins a flag.

Me, I was born this way in 1975.

i think somewhere between 1st and 16th.... same for most teams...

ok . you can probaly earmark some teams not to win it and some not to finish last but there are just so many variables ...a pretty pointless excercise i think trying to predict a whole year when most of us struggle to predict a game the day before during the season...

Remove this Banner Ad

Where will Essendon finish in 2005?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back