Which side is closer to a premiership - Carlton or Essendon?

Which club is closer to a flag - Carlton or Essendon?

• Carlton

Votes: 169 49.9%
  • Essendon

Votes: 75 22.1%
  • Neither in next 10 ywars

Votes: 95 28.0%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

This is a pretty silly post.

The top 8 changes week to week, we have beaten teams in the top 8 but they have dropped out.

You can’t really make this claim until the regular season is over and the top 8 is locked in.

Then you can’t make a claim for someone being the best captain in the league until the season is over.

Over his time as captain, this season has been his only truly standout one, and the team is yet to achieve anything.

Bont & Cripps have more runs on the board as leaders, and are playing equally as well individually. Just a weird take to throw Merrett above them off a dozen standout games this year.

Then you can’t make a claim for someone being the best captain in the league until the season is over.

Over his time as captain, this season has been his only truly standout one, and the team is yet to achieve anything.

Bont & Cripps have more runs on the board as leaders, and are playing equally as well individually. Just a weird take to throw Merrett above them off a dozen standout games this year.

I never said Merrett was the best captain.....

He was the rolling AA captain 4-5 weeks ago, but i would agree that's probably moved on now.

Merrett is the best captain in the AFL. Not top shelf in the playing ranks but lifts those around through his willingness to do what his team requires at those critical moments in the game. His leadership won them the game last night. I think that elevates him above those mentioned as a player
huh? that the only game u watched?

removing my bias so I wont mention Cripps, but Bont has been far better than Merrett. strange comment

Merrett is the best captain in the AFL. Not top shelf in the playing ranks but lifts those around through his willingness to do what his team requires at those critical moments in the game. His leadership won them the game last night. I think that elevates him above those mentioned as a player

I’m a big Merrett fan but let’s be honest any best captain talk is a complete wankfest because literally no one has access to the information to make that call.

Carlton and Sidney are the clear best sides, then daylight. And then essendon is in that next pack, and can easily drop out of it. If it were to be essendon, it would involve a lot of luck. However I'd be lying if I said I wasn't happy with the progress this season

Carlton and Sidney are the clear best sides, then daylight. And then essendon is in that next pack, and can easily drop out of it. If it were to be essendon, it would involve a lot of luck. However I'd be lying if I said I wasn't happy with the progress this season

agreed.

go look at the preseason ladder predictions - hardly anyone had us in the top 8.

It's a very good question.
Perhaps Carlton are more consistent, their mantra is effort, contribution, hard work, pressure. They are predictable. Doesn't mean easy to stop, but you know what you'll get as an oppo team in preparation. Voss is pretty consistent and insistent how to play, like an ideology for life.

Bombers look to be developing various wrinkles and strategies dependent on oppo. It makes them harder to prepare for. Brad S is a pretty good game day coach, flexible and pragmatic.

There's been plenty historical match ups of predictable vs. flexible top teams in contention: 60s 70s Richmond Carlton, Richmond North, 70s 80s Pies Blues, Hawks Bombers, 90s North Crows, this century Swans Eagles, Saints Cats Tigers Cats.

Right now Blues are superior, more reliable imo, though Bombers are on the quick learning track and could finish strongly upending predictions and presuppositions.

What a terrif season.

Essendon fans have been very reasonable on here this year, credit where it’s due and props to them, can definitely tell they’ve been burned once or twice.

They’ll play finals this year and break their finals win drought. I suggest they’ll play finals most years for the foreseeable future, it’s what Brad Scott teams do.

However I still have my doubts on the capability of their list to compete for a premiership. A decent spread across the ground & solid game style, but where is the star power? I’m talking the 5-6 A-graders that teams are built around.

Merrett is arguably a top 5 mid, but then who’s next? Nic Martin is probably there, McKay is TBC, Draper teases, I don’t see a huge amount of elite youth coming through - although Caddy looked great.

Genuine question not intending to talk them down or stir, just my genuine thoughts.

Look at the composition of your list. You should be in this position. It shouldn't be "progress". This should be the standard/baseline. You have an experienced side with lots of players in the right age bracket

Answer is Blues imo but I like what Scott is doing at the Dons. Still think they lack for talent in a few too many areas and lack the 'superstar' talents you need at the pointy end but Scott will get the best out of what he's got, just like he did at North. Up to their recruiting team to get the list they need to make a challenge.

Back