Which side is closer to a premiership - Carlton or Essendon?

Which club is closer to a flag - Carlton or Essendon?

• Carlton

Votes: 169 49.9%
  • Essendon

Votes: 75 22.1%
  • Neither in next 10 ywars

Votes: 95 28.0%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm not even trying to be a Kent here but I really can't fathom how anyone watching that game could have thought the Don's looked the better team or the team who would win a rematch. Blues destroyed them in clearance and CP and defended their inside 50s with ease, Bombers were all at sea any time there was any sort of speed on the ball and that was without Curnow or McKay asserting themselves on the contest like we know they can.

Bizarre.
They got the moral victory

I'm not even trying to be a Kent here but I really can't fathom how anyone watching that game could have thought the Don's looked the better team or the team who would win a rematch. Blues destroyed them in clearance and CP and defended their inside 50s with ease, Bombers were all at sea any time there was any sort of speed on the ball and that was without Curnow or McKay asserting themselves on the contest like we know they can.

Bizarre.

If you defended our inside 50s with ease why did you concede more marks inside 50 and lose on expected score?

I’ve never been on the Essendon should have won band wagon but it’s head in the sand stuff to claim they didn’t generate quality opportunities

If you defended our inside 50s with ease why did you concede more marks inside 50 and lose on expected score?

I’ve never been on the Essendon should have won band wagon but it’s head in the sand stuff to claim they didn’t generate quality opportunities
I'm not going back through every inside 50 to upload 100 images of the set ups for each but Essendon scored a goal 15% of the times they entered 50... 5 rushed behinds too, you effectively had 22 shots on goal from 60 inside 50s.

That is not generating 'quality opportunities'

14 marks inside 50 in perfect conditions also isn't really some sort of outlier, it's pretty standard.

I'm not going back through every inside 50 to upload 100 images of the set ups for each but Essendon scored a goal 15% of the times they entered 50... 5 rushed behinds too, you effectively had 22 shots on goal from 60 inside 50s.

14 marks inside 50 in perfect conditions also isn't really some sort of outlier, it's pretty standard.

I’m not asking you to do that.

Im saying it’s hyperbole to say Carlton “defended Essendon’s inside 50s with ease” when a significant part of them not scoring was missing very gettable shots on goal.

Some very odd posts in here since the game on Sunday night.

Picking one largely inconsequential statistic to try and prove Essendon were the better side, or should have won the game, is laughable.

I can only assume it’s done largely to try and come across as smart. Thankfully, most see right through it.

With the advancement of statistics, regardless of the result you will be able to find one that favours the losing side. Small victories, I guess.

I was at the game. At no point did Essendon look as though they were going to win.

And as someone who has seen Carlton take the foot off the gas far too many times, it was nice to sit through knowing we weren’t going to lose.

Essendon dominated the 3rd quarter but couldn’t capitalise. Our defence stood up quite well under the circumstances.

That alone doesn’t mean they should have won the game.

Essendon are on the right track. Brad Scott is a very good coach. It won’t surprise to see Essendon make the 8 or even break the drought.

But they didn’t win the game and no, nor should they have. They’re ultimately, to this point in time at least, not as good a side this year as Carlton.

Some very odd posts in here since the game on Sunday night.

Picking one largely inconsequential statistic to try and prove Essendon were the better side, or should have won the game, is laughable.

I can only assume it’s done largely to try and come across as smart. Thankfully, most see right through it.

With the advancement of statistics, regardless of the result you will be able to find one that favours the losing side. Small victories, I guess.

I was at the game. At no point did Essendon look as though they were going to win.

And as someone who has seen Carlton take the foot off the gas far too many times, it was nice to sit through knowing we weren’t going to lose.

Essendon dominated the 3rd quarter but couldn’t capitalise. Our defence stood up quite well under the circumstances.

That alone doesn’t mean they should have won the game.

Essendon are on the right track. Brad Scott is a very good coach. It won’t surprise to see Essendon make the 8 or even break the drought.

But they didn’t win the game and no, nor should they have. They’re ultimately, to this point in time at least, not as good a side this year as Carlton.
Essendon are an awful team of b-grade footballers bar a few. I was never worried. The fact that this thread even exists is laughable. Essendon will not win a final with this current list, let alone win a premiership.

I can guarantee that Stringer, Laverde, Shiel will never play in a winning final for Essendon.

Essendon are an awful team of b-grade footballers bar a few. I was never worried. The fact that this thread even exists is laughable. Essendon will not win a final with this current list, let alone win a premiership.

I can guarantee that Stringer, Laverde, Shiel will never play in a winning final for Essendon.

I wouldn’t be so sure. The competition is very even and they’re in a large group vying for a spot in the bottom half of the 8.

Depending on the matchup I can certainly see them winning a final this year.

Anything beyond that though in 2024 I think is the stuff of fantasy.

When was the last time Essendon had a generational superstar? They've been a vanilla side for a long time now.
Merrett is A grade but he is no generational superstar, and I hope nobody suggests Stringer.

When was the last time Essendon had a generational superstar? They've been a vanilla side for a long time now.
Merrett is A grade but he is no generational superstar, and I hope nobody suggests Stringer.
Lloyd / Hird would be it.

Their biggest players since that time have been Jobe Watson (drug cheat), Joe Daniher (a nothing player in totality and has since left the club) and Zach Merrett (an excellent player, but as you say, not a superstar).

Dodoro has cooked their side for a long time.

Parish and Francis over McKay, Curnow and even Hipwood or Himmelberg is pretty disgusting drafting in 2015.
McGrath over Taranto and McLuggage was bad bad bad.
Trading out of the 2018 draft (was that the Shiel trade?) and missing out on Butters is massive.

Feel like team success is part of the criteria for a superstar so it cuts both ways a bit.

What’s the criteria for a superstar? Top 5ish player for multiple years? Maybe top 10 if you’re a KPF.

My list of superstars playing atm: Martin, Fyfe, Pendles, Dangerfield, Cameron, Curnow, Petracca, McGovern, Hawkins, Bontempelli with Cripps and Neale as borderline.

Guys like Daicos and Heeney just need more footy at their current levels to get there

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I asked the question on our board and 6 were rattled off as very gettable shots at goal.

6 into 4.2 and the scoreline and end result looks completely different imho

result is the result but the idea we were never in it should be reassessed. We had our chances to grow legs but couldn't take them. Not saying we would have won but kicking goals grows confidence, not just in the player but the belief in the team

I asked the question on our board and 6 were rattled off as very gettable shots at goal.

result is the result but the idea we were never in it should be reassessed. We had our chances to grow legs but couldn't take them. Not saying we would have won but kicking goals grows confidence, not just in the player but the belief in the team
I've watched this Carlton team play dozens of times and I'm telling u they looked in absolute cruise control most of the game. Essendon gave them something to think about in the 3rd quarter and thus the Blues stepped on the gas for 10 minutes in the 4th and the game was once again, over.

Bombers were never in it, 5 minutes into the last quarter it was all over and Blues cruised home, 26 points flattered the Bombers.

Bombers were in it, until they shit the bed early the first quarter with 4 very gettable shots at goal, and that's all she wrote after that

I hate Essendon as much as the next bloke but Merrett is inarguably a superstar.

3 x AA for a midfielder...4th one likely this year.

Yeah he's not the Bont or Cripps giant you can build your entire setup around, but he's been excellent for a long time.

result is the result but the idea we were never in it should be reassessed.

Should it? OK.

But first I think we need to agree that being “in the contest” is not the same as being “in the game”.

Essendon won a lot of the stats and to their credit kept fighting through to the end of the game.

They were always in the contest.

If we are talking about the game, different story.

Carlton got the jump in the first quarter and never looked back.

Credit to the Bombers for their play in the third quarter in particular, but at no point after quarter time did Essendon look as though they were going to win that game.

Essendon fans can point to any stat they want and you can bemoan bad kicking forever more.

It doesn’t change the ultimate fact that Carlton won the game.

I hate Essendon as much as the next bloke but Merrett is inarguably a superstar.

3 x AA for a midfielder...4th one likely this year.

Yeah he's not the Bont or Cripps giant you can build your entire setup around, but he's been excellent for a long time.
Merrett is the best captain in the AFL. Not top shelf in the playing ranks but lifts those around through his willingness to do what his team requires at those critical moments in the game. His leadership won them the game last night. I think that elevates him above those mentioned as a player

Merrett is the best captain in the AFL. Not top shelf in the playing ranks but lifts those around through his willingness to do what his team requires at those critical moments in the game. His leadership won them the game last night. I think that elevates him above those mentioned as a player
He is the best player at Essendon mate if that was your insinuation (No top shelf in the playing ranks)

Why is he the best captain in the AFL all of a sudden? Hasn’t lead his team to any meaningful wins.

Last night they beat a top 8 team for the first time this year..

Amazing player but I’m not understanding the best captain in the AFL tag.

From a neutral point of view, I would say Carlton.
And comfortably.

Essendon are on the right track no doubt but Carlton has quality, depth, belief and as sad as what it is.
Their time is now.

Why is he the best captain in the AFL all of a sudden? Hasn’t lead his team to any meaningful wins.

Last night they beat a top 8 team for the first time this year..

Amazing player but I’m not understanding the best captain in the AFL tag.

This is a pretty silly post.

The top 8 changes week to week, we have beaten teams in the top 8 but they have dropped out.

You can’t really make this claim until the regular season is over and the top 8 is locked in.

Which side is closer to a premiership - Carlton or Essendon?

Back