FTA-TV Which TV shows are you watching now.

Remove this Banner Ad

Watched the first episode of Deadloch on Prime, its being sold as the Aussie Broadchurch only funny. I didnt hate it but i wish the characters weren't so cartoonish. Will carry on but not sure if i will watch to the end
I gave it a go as well, and found it almost unwatchable, the defective from Darwin is the worst character ever written in TV history, she totally ruined it for me. The rest of the cast was pretty good, the story looked solid and it had some funny moments, but that ****in' NT idiot needs to be eaten by the seal.

Watched the first episode of Deadloch on Prime, its being sold as the Aussie Broadchurch only funny. I didnt hate it but i wish the characters weren't so cartoonish. Will carry on but not sure if i will watch to the end
I gave it a go as well, and found it almost unwatchable, the defective from Darwin is the worst character ever written in TV history, she totally ruined it for me. The rest of the cast was pretty good, the story looked solid and it had some funny moments, but that *in' NT idiot needs to be eaten by the seal.

Every single review that I have seen has said the same thing: The Darwin Detective character ruins the whole show.

The Darwin detective is more cartoonish, but she didn't ruin the show. If anything, she seems to be continuing the turning of tropes on their head. The first trope is the outlandish male detective that shows up with all their quirks and foibles, but this time it's a woman. The second trope is that they turn out to be a genius who solves the case, but in this case, it's looking more and more like she actually is stupid.

Anyway, I've quite enjoyed it and looking forward to seeing how it pans out.

Watched the first 2 episodes of Kevin can f*** himself with Annie Murphy. Interesting concept with Murphy playing the sad wife wanting a better life while her loser husband thinks nothing needs to change.

The interesting part is that the scenes with Kevin are filmed sitcom style like a kind of king of queens on steroids, with the other scenes like US shameless on Xanax.

I've really enjoyed the scenes with Murphy only. She does a great job as the lead and balances the hopelessness of her character with a hopefulness when she tries to fight back in her own way. I hate the sitcom part though. It's horrendous, the characters are the most unlikable losers I've seen on TV, the jokes are shit, there's nothing I like. I'm not sure if it's supposed to be this way or they've overcooked it a little, but I find it a massive downer. The show seems to be about 60/40 with the sitcom in the minority, so I'll give it another ep.

Watched the first 2 episodes of Kevin can f*** himself with Annie Murphy. Interesting concept with Murphy playing the sad wife wanting a better life while her loser husband thinks nothing needs to change.

The interesting part is that the scenes with Kevin are filmed sitcom style like a kind of king of queens on steroids, with the other scenes like US shameless on Xanax.

I've really enjoyed the scenes with Murphy only. She does a great job as the lead and balances the hopelessness of her character with a hopefulness when she tries to fight back in her own way. I hate the sitcom part though. It's horrendous, the characters are the most unlikable losers I've seen on TV, the jokes are s**t, there's nothing I like. I'm not sure if it's supposed to be this way or they've overcooked it a little, but I find it a massive downer. The show seems to be about 60/40 with the sitcom in the minority, so I'll give it another ep.
Keep watching - things will make more sense.

I've really enjoyed the scenes with Murphy only. She does a great job as the lead and balances the hopelessness of her character with a hopefulness when she tries to fight back in her own way. I hate the sitcom part though. It's horrendous, the characters are the most unlikable losers I've seen on TV, the jokes are s**t, there's nothing I like. I'm not sure if it's supposed to be this way or they've overcooked it a little, but I find it a massive downer. The show seems to be about 60/40 with the sitcom in the minority, so I'll give it another ep.
The sitcommy part is supposed to be that way. Once you accept it, you will find it a much better viewing experience.

The Darwin detective is more cartoonish, but she didn't ruin the show. If anything, she seems to be continuing the turning of tropes on their head. The first trope is the outlandish male detective that shows up with all their quirks and foibles, but this time it's a woman. The second trope is that they turn out to be a genius who solves the case, but in this case, it's looking more and more like she actually is stupid.

Anyway, I've quite enjoyed it and looking forward to seeing how it pans out.
After watching the first two episodes I was in this boat (thinking that while she is annoying I understood the tropes the character is supposed to subvert), but after watching episode 3 I think I'm in the opposite boat now. The Darwin detective is just too much of a dickhead bogan cliche without being funny to the extent she's just annoying and I feel I need to fast forward through her scenes to be able to watch the rest of the show

I've been thinking about your post for a few episodes mate. Was this just a clever pun on your part, or was there genuinely something I'm overlooking? (I'll look like a real chump if it's the former)
No I am not that clever.

Why don't they just set up a small battery powered windscreen wiper and sit it on the camera?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Watched the first ep of The Idol HBOs new joint with Lily Rose Depp and The Weeknd.

From the same show runners as Euphoria (which is very confronting but also very good).

The first ep is pretty bad and the acting is woeful but it’s oddly compelling.

Agreed. Ensemble looks interesting. Creepy af ending

After watching the first two episodes I was in this boat (thinking that while she is annoying I understood the tropes the character is supposed to subvert), but after watching episode 3 I think I'm in the opposite boat now. The Darwin detective is just too much of a dickhead bogan cliche without being funny to the extent she's just annoying and I feel I need to fast forward through her scenes to be able to watch the rest of the show

I expected that her tone would calm down after a while and I would start to like the character but the sheer boorishness makes the character one of the most unlikeable I have come across in sometime

Struggling to go to watch Ep 3

Quite enjoyed the first season apart from what I'd consider a laughably bad scene at the end. Lost interest pretty early in season 2.
I just finished the first season.

I loved that scene at the end you refer to.

I see on the net that it's a love it or hate it type thing, and I do understand why.

Just finished Season 1 of Foundation (Apple TV) and it's been mostly great, felt like a 10 hour movie but in a good way. The scope and scale is really quite impressive.

I couldn't help but wonder if the makers intentionally played up the Star Wars-ness to prove a point on how influential Isaac Asimov's original work was?

Looking forward to Season 2.

Halfway through Ted Lasso season 3. Not enjoying it anywhere nearly as much as the first 2 seasons which had regular nuggets of comedy gold, this one doesn't make me laugh as much and where the first two seasons felt light and uplifting, this one feels heavier by comparison.

I can do heavier, but enjoyed the show a lot more when it was lighter, more whimsical, and IMO funnier in its early eps.

It's definitely strayed towards the more drama side of dramedy.

After scrolling and having seen most things or not interested I've settled on 3 tv shows too rotate through. More as background noise.
Everybody loves Raymond (seen every episode already but is a classic)
Orange is The new black (stopped watching after 4 seasons last time as it gets too cringey and PC)
Young Sheldon (cleverly made show, good acting)

I realise there's Better stuff to watch but I just get sick of scrolling

Just finished Daisy Jones and The Six. Music is not brilliant, but the story makes up for it. Last episode in particular is really really well done. Well worth a look.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back