Who are the second to third year players to watch?

Remove this Banner Ad

Would be really disappointed to lose any of those 3 players, and would drop Crozier into the mix.

Neale is a definite keeper and like mentioned has Sam Mitchell clone written all over him.

Sheriden to me is our best young player who can fill in for Mundy in the short (FA) or longterm.

Sutcliffe has decent versatility but looks like he may be nipping at Duffields's heels, which is not a bad replacement strategy.

Crozier becomes part of a forward-to-midfield rotation which we have some real skill and depth in.

Two above the four will be in our best 22 by the end of the year, and the other two will not be far behind.

Sutcliffe sits behind Ibbotson and Duffield at the moment, Sheriden is behind Mzungu, C Pearce while Crozier probably has to push de Boer out of his spot.

Can not wait for round one to see how we line up and I am hoping Peel are at least competitive this year and make the finals.

The real question is for the next wave of Freo talent is:

Are any of them the new Pavlich, Sandilands, McPharlin, Johnson?

Ain't that all part of the fun of being a footy fan, somewhere out there is a guy who's going to try and push Pavlich to being the second best Docker ever, of course with my scouting nouse I've no idea if that kid's on our list or enrolling in kindy somewhere :)

I don't think Tanner Smith has been mentioned yet, the other guys are much more likely to be pushing for games but it would be a huge boost to us if this year Smith can play a couple of good games and jump Silvagni as our next choice tall defender.

In ages gone by they will define the The era of Fyfe as the new dawn of the Freo community. Fyfe being the god dressed in the purple chevrons and worshipped by men and women alike. He stood astride his competitors as a colossus of raw power and innate skill.

"Tell me about Nathan Fyfe again Grandad.."

"Well, they say he was the greatest ever. And that's probably true. He stood on the shoulders of a great man though. When he took over the Captaincy from Matthew Pavlich in 2017, Freo was already the most feared team in the land"

"Matthew Pavlich? Is that who Pavlich Stadium is named after?"

"That's right, Pavlich was All Australian 8 times! And he won the Coleman medal in the year he captained Freo to our first ever premiership."

"But what about Fyfe, Grandad?"

"Well, some say Fyfe was a midfielder, some say he was a forward, some even called him a utility, but the truth is, it didn't matter where he played. He dominated when he played in the midfield, and defenders quaked in their boots when he was shifted forward. The way he could read the play was phenomenal, he just knew where to be and how to get his hands on the ball. He had big hands like buckets. He kicked with precision of both feet, and it didn't matter how tall you were, no-one could out-mark him. No-one."

"Is it true that he won more brownlow medals than anyone else?'

"Yep, nobody had ever won 4, let alone 5. And he deserved every one of them. There wasn't another player in the league that could compete with him. He was untaggable. The bookies stopped taking bets altogether at one point."

"Wow! And why did they call him The Eagle Killer?"

"Well I don't know if it was him that did that, but they reckon it was when Fyfe held the cup aloft in 2018, that's when the Eagles supporters realised it was all over for them. Their 3 flags meant nothing compared to our 5 consecutive premierships. The following year the Eagles signed up only 500 members and by 2019 they'd folded."

"Who did the Eagles represent?"

"No-one SonSon, no-one."

"Well, they say he was the greatest ever. And that's probably true. He stood on the shoulders of a great man though. When he took over the Captaincy from Matthew Pavlich in 2017, Freo was already the most feared team in the land"

"That's right, Pavlich was All Australian 8 times! And he won the Coleman medal in the year he captained Freo to our first ever premiership."

"Well, some say Fyfe was a midfielder, some say he was a forward, some even called him a utility, but the truth is, it didn't matter where he played. He dominated when he played in the midfield, and defenders quaked in their boots when he was shifted forward. The way he could read the play was phenomenal, he just knew where to be and how to get his hands on the ball. He had big hands like buckets. He kicked with precision of both feet, and it didn't matter how tall you were, no-one could out-mark him. No-one."

"Yep, nobody had ever won 4, let alone 5. And he deserved every one of them. There wasn't another player in the league that could compete with him. He was untaggable. The bookies stopped taking bets altogether at one point."

"Well I don't know if it was him that did that, but they reckon it was when Fyfe held the cup aloft in 2018, that's when the Eagles supporters realised it was all over for them. Their 3 flags meant nothing compared to our 5 consecutive premierships. The following year the Eagles signed up only 500 members and by 2019 they'd folded."

"No-one SonSon, no-one."

This deserves more than a like :thumbsu::thumbsu::thumbsu:

"No-one SonSon, no-one."
Haha what a piece. Hope this comes true.

"No-one SonSon, no-one."

THAT IS GOLD.

"No-one SonSon, no-one."
Made me eyes water that:D

(Log in to remove this ad.)

"No-one SonSon, no-one."
wow!
post of the year chance in early Feb
great post

Jeez it's gonna be tough for spots this year, almost all of them, possibly bar Neale may very well start out at Peel with the likes of Clancee, Ibbo, Gumby, Sylvia starting out. One more may be able to fit in if Sylvia doesn't come up in time.

If you do a best 22 you'll find you'll be leaving a good 15 guys out who either have AFL experience or wouldn't be out of their depth physically.

It's getting very hard to keep the lid on when you see the quality depth we've amassed.

I'm hoping one of these boys has a lee spurr type year where we wonder how we got by without him. Not pushing 22 but a vital cog in the machine. That's why I didn't name Sutcliffe. He seems more like a DeBoer type who will be having to prove himself every game.

Sheridan's genetics seem to include the turbo-V8 Silver Shadow/Bentley Corniche donk=Robert Harvey levels of grunt with the turbo just tickling in.:thumbsu::thumbsu:

I'm hoping one of these boys has a lee spurr type year where we wonder how we got by without him. Not pushing 22 but a vital cog in the machine. That's why I didn't name Sutcliffe. He seems more like a DeBoer type who will be having to prove himself every game.

Has de Boer ever been dropped? Like you I look at the emerging talent we have, and then look at someone like de Boer and begin to think his position may be under threat. But from a selection point of view he seems to be a lock. But if a player, such as Crozier, could bring the kind of manic defensive pressure that has become our standard as well as a higher potential scoring power, things may change.

In terms of displacing players from our best 22 it is a tough task. The most likely of the unlikely openings for me are;

Ruck/Forward; Gumbleton and Taberner could challenge Clarke. Gumbleton will play as a tall forward, after that a decision needs to be made about whether we look for more ruck power (Clarke), more forward power (Taberner) or more midfield power and take in another runner.

Small/medium forward; We are on a quest for more scoring power so the skills of Crozier could appeal in place of de Boer. Neale does alright in the forward line too.

Midfield; Really difficult to see any glaring weakness that emerging players can challenge for. Perhaps Mzungu and Suban the most vulnerable if any of Crozier, Sheridan, Sutcliffe and Neale stake claims that simply cannot be ignored. If Morabitto gets himself up, watch out.

Defense; Not sure where we can significantly improve. Ibbotson will come back.

Clarke, Griffin, Suban, Mzungu, de Boer, C Pearce. These guys are more than depth players, they are genuine, ready-made, AFL quality players, and for whatever reason, any of them could find themselves outside the best 22.

Controversial Seppo. I'd have Subcliffe streets ahead of Sheridan.

1. Neale
2. Subcliffe
3. Daylight
4. Crozier
5. Sheridan
6. Taberner
7. Hannath
8. Daylight
9. Simpson
10. Menegola
Agreed. I'd also have Duffy above Simpson and Moller (Both of which I expect to see start breaking into the team in 2015). Menegola is my tip for the upgrade come draft time. I'm calling 4-5 games for the Duff this year.

Hannath will surprise a few people. I think Gumby and Hannath will become our forward line in the post-Pavlich era. I'm not sure about Tabs. He has all the physical attributes, but he hasn't shown a lot of aggression.

He was a skinny kid in his first year. It's not like anyone would have been expecting him to crash packs. His priority would have been adjusting to the pace and fitness requirements and learning/sticking to the structures and his role within it. Give him another 2 years then make that call.

"No-one SonSon, no-one."
Tell me more grandad....please! Absolute gold

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

No. Unfortunately until a month ago I was an ex-pat. Looking forward to getting to some East Freo, Peel and FREO HOME GAMES again this year, though.

Big call you made on Duffy in that case - unless you have inside knowledge!
I haven't seen a lot of him and he had the hammy problems that impaired him last year, but everything I have seen and heard says he is a fair way off playing in the firsts. Good luck to the guy but he is way down the list isn't he?

Remove this Banner Ad

Who are the second to third year players to watch?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back