Who are the second to third year players to watch?

Remove this Banner Ad

Menegola is on his last legs in terms of the Rookie List so it is upgrade or bust for him. I find it difficult to place him in our 22 to be honest, but have never seen him play so am talking out of my rrrrrs. The talk is that he is the replacement for Crowley, but I could see Mzungu or de Boer covering that and any of Sheridan, Sutcliffe, Crozier, Morabitto* or Simpson becoming regulars. I also anticipate that with our skill level improving downgrading from the incredible Mr Crowley may not impact us as badly as it should.

Big call you made on Duffy in that case - unless you have inside knowledge!
I haven't seen a lot of him and he had the hammy problems that impaired him last year, but everything I have seen and heard says he is a fair way off playing in the firsts. Good luck to the guy but he is way down the list isn't he?
Funny, everything I've heard says the complete opposite. His form when he was playing was apparently pretty good and he kicked something like 33 goals from 18 games the year he was drafted. I guess we'll see. But I definitely think he's ahead of Moller and Simpson, even though I'll concede that it appears Simpson is much more gifted.

He may jump ahead in the pecking order this year but I'd disagree he is in front of Simpson, Moller certainly though.
Probably a 4th string medium forward option at this stage, but done nothing more than say Wood to press a serious claim at best 22.

I'm pretty keen to see how he goes at AFL level though, have a sneaky suspicion he'll be one of those guys like Mellington who won't set the WAFL alight but adapts well to the big league.

Neale IMO will be best 22 without a doubt this season.

Sutty will be there abouts.

Sherro will get opertunities and is fit enough to run out games but may not perform as well as the others listed above.

Crozier will be a great replacement for any forwards injured or down on form this season.

Tanner Smith and Tabs have bridged the gap considerably between WAFL and AFL standard and I really hope they get some games.

Legendary stuff pavsbootlace!

It will be interesting. I am excited about Simpson the most. If he can stick in their then he could be a Daniel Wells type player for us. Sheridan and Sutcliffe are around the mark. Neale will be fighting with Clancee I would think for that midfield spot. It is a bit harsh on Pearce as his efficiency and team contribution is always grossly understated, however Lachie has similar qualities and is someone that seems to lift the team when it needs that extra bit of something.

Hannath will surprise a few people. I think Gumby and Hannath will become our forward line in the post-Pavlich era. I'm not sure about Tabs. He has all the physical attributes, but he hasn't shown a lot of aggression.
Pavlich has never been aggressive in his whole career but that hasn't stopped him .
Tabby is a nice kid but even in match sims if there is an opening he'll take it and he loves going for a contested mark .
Tabby has a cool head and doesn't mind a bit of pressure so I expect him to shine once he gets out there plus he has built up very nicely in the off season .

Sheridan is IMHO the one ready to be the leader of the pack .
At training he has been the quiet achiever .
He goes about doing the job with an air about him and just floats in and around but every now and again cuts in the afterburners to give people a shock about how fast and clean he can be .
Last year I thought he got a few games that he didn't deserve but with more game time he showed rapid improvement ,with that came the belief .
He has come back from the break with some really good shape and muscle development through the core and chest so that's my call

Menegola is on his last legs in terms of the Rookie List so it is upgrade or bust for him. I find it difficult to place him in our 22 to be honest, but have never seen him play so am talking out of my rrrrrs. The talk is that he is the replacement for Crowley, but I could see Mzungu or de Boer covering that and any of Sheridan, Sutcliffe, Crozier, Morabitto* or Simpson becoming regulars. I also anticipate that with our skill level improving downgrading from the incredible Mr Crowley may not impact us as badly as it should.
Gav to be honest I think the role he was recruited for has been taken first by Mzungu and then Sutcliffe went past him as well .
He's an endurance running machine that can play .
His problem is that Mzungu has impact on the forward line , backline and as a midfielder . Suitcliffe is very similar to Mzungu without the same impact on the scoreboard .
He did play against Freo when he was at Hawthorn and cut us up quite badly BUT that was 3 years ago and we have matured and grown a lot since then but he hasn't . I like the guy and he trains as hard as any player there but I like everyone else that has seen him play doesn't have that X factor to get you excited .
Maybe the intra club game is the chance he needs to show us what he can do against us now .
Here's hoping

Gav to be honest I think the role he was recruited for has been taken first by Mzungu and then Sutcliffe went past him as well .
He's an endurance running machine that can play .
His problem is that Mzungu has impact on the forward line , backline and as a midfielder . Suitcliffe is very similar to Mzungu without the same impact on the scoreboard .

Duffield talked about Mzungu filling the Roger Hayden gap when he was recruited, but it has not really worked out like that.

Sutcliffe is a genuine midfield prospect trying to get a chance via the half-back flank.

Menegola presented as a forward prospect when he was originally drafted.

They all have good endurance don't they, but it seems the difference is in football ability.

It will be interesting. I am excited about Simpson the most. If he can stick in their then he could be a Daniel Wells type player for us. Sheridan and Sutcliffe are around the mark. Neale will be fighting with Clancee I would think for that midfield spot. It is a bit harsh on Pearce as his efficiency and team contribution is always grossly understated, however Lachie has similar qualities and is someone that seems to lift the team when it needs that extra bit of something.
Clancee is a defender now. Played every game last year in the backline.

Duffield talked about Mzungu filling the Roger Hayden gap when he was recruited, but it has not really worked out like that.

Sutcliffe is a genuine midfield prospect trying to get a chance via the half-back flank.

Menegola presented as a forward prospect when he was originally drafted.

They all have good endurance don't they, but it seems the difference is in football ability.

Sutcliffe has made his mark as a quality runner that has the ability to play in the midfield and be a link man when moving the ball out of defence and into attack .
Like Mzungu they are still running at the end of the game at the same pace they started .
Neither player is a good sub player though as they don't have a huge acceleration speed .
Suban and Sheridan do and in the future Simpson could be the man to own that position .

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Neale has established himself in our best 22 ,so has Clancee .
Simpson however has a lot more bridges to cross before he will be considered best 22 .
His fitness for one and build for 2 .
Sheridan ,Crozier and Suban are a long way ahead of him .

Sutcliffe has made his mark as a quality runner that has the ability to play in the midfield and be a link man when moving the ball out of defence and into attack .
Like Mzungu they are still running at the end of the game at the same pace they started .
Neither player is a good sub player though as they don't have a huge acceleration speed .
Suban and Sheridan do and in the future Simpson could be the man to own that position .

Sutcliffe has been a good sub in the past.

Pavlich has never been aggressive in his whole career but that hasn't stopped him .
Tabby is a nice kid but even in match sims if there is an opening he'll take it and he loves going for a contested mark .
Tabby has a cool head and doesn't mind a bit of pressure so I expect him to shine once he gets out there plus he has built up very nicely in the off season .

Sheridan is IMHO the one ready to be the leader of the pack .
At training he has been the quiet achiever .
He goes about doing the job with an air about him and just floats in and around but every now and again cuts in the afterburners to give people a shock about how fast and clean he can be .
Last year I thought he got a few games that he didn't deserve but with more game time he showed rapid improvement ,with that came the belief .
He has come back from the break with some really good shape and muscle development through the core and chest so that's my call

Really? I recall Pav dishing out more "don't argues" than anyone else ever to wear purple. He's not a thug, but he definitely has a high level of aggression.

Neale has established himself in our best 22 ,so has Clancee .

I don't think they are both in our best 22. Actually I would be a little surprised if we have a locked-in best 22, with Neale, C Pearce, Suban, Sheridan and Sutcliffe having strong claims, but not locked in. Maybe de Boer as well, and who knows where the thinking with Sylvia is at; is he fit and ready for round 1?

He has indeed.

I am hoping we use the sub this year to bring Mora back from injury, and possibly ge a few games with Simpson. Seems an ideal role for an explosive player to come in and have an impact towards the end of a game when the opposition is fatiguing; Catch me if you can.

Sutcliffe was the sub in a number of games and his ability to run out games became evident when we lost a player early in a game . His ability to keep running from contest to contest showed it self
Suban and Neile were better subs however because they have explosive pace and impacted on the score board as well as having the ability to expose tied opposition players .
There is a point of difference but all these players compiment the RTB game plan.

Sutcliffe was the sub in a number of games and his ability to run out games became evident when we lost a player early in a game . His ability to keep running from contest to contest showed it self
Suban and Neile were better subs however because they have explosive pace and impacted on the score board as well as having the ability to expose tied opposition players .
There is a point of difference but all these players compiment the RTB game plan.

that actually makes sense and the grammar/spelling was pretty good as well ... ok, what did you do with couldhavebeen and how much can we pay you to keep him there ?!? ;)

Remove this Banner Ad

Who are the second to third year players to watch?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back