Who do we want to win today?

Remove this Banner Ad

TBH it is pretty depressing watching St Kilda dismantle Collingwood.

If we cannot get past Geelong, we have less hope of beating St Kilda.

Not wanting to sound negative, but I cannot see a way we can beat St Kilda. I am trying to be positive and think positive thoughts, but the reality that we arn't in the same league sets in.

It is a match up thing. I don't like our chances against the Saints but I still think we can beat any other side in the competition including the Cats and Pies. Ideally we would want the Saints to lose against the Pies and then lose the following week or against the Cats.

Regardless, a great team will win no matter who they play. We are slightly off this.

TBH it is pretty depressing watching St Kilda dismantle Collingwood.

If we cannot get past Geelong, we have less hope of beating St Kilda.

Not wanting to sound negative, but I cannot see a way we can beat St Kilda. I am trying to be positive and think positive thoughts, but the reality that we arn't in the same league sets in.

Dont worry if we win this week I will think of a way:p.

Look at it this way we lost lost to Geelong, pies and Saints in the 1st half of the year.

Then we beat Geel and pies round 21&22, lose to geelong in 1st finals game, now we must beat lions, win that & we pay back Saints in pre-lim!!

Into grand final to pay back Geelong again!!! then again it could be a payback to Adelaide for 97-98!!!!:)

Look at it this way we lost lost to Geelong, pies and Saints in the 1st half of the year.

Then we beat Geel and pies round 21&22, lose to geelong in 1st finals game, now we must beat lions, win that & we pay back Saints in pre-lim!!

Into grand final to pay back Geelong again!!! then again it could be a payback to Adelaide for 97-98!!!!:)

I like your thinking dude.

Hey I'm new to this board! I've been reading for a while though. All I have to say in regards to this topic is who cares who we verse, we shouldn't be going into games with that mentality, let's just vs who we vs and take care of them, that's the thought process of a premiership winning team.

If you make the prelim you will push St Kilda. I believe there is a weakness in their running game that can be exposed on the wider MCG ground, and that is far-reaching ball movement to get out of trouble. Collingwood couldn't do it today because they lack the necessary running capacity (losing Pendlebury didn't help); that's the one thing you've got in spades. This is my take on how the Saints work:

The way the saints force turnovers is through something of a reworking of Adelaide's gameplan from 2005-06, the perfect counter you might say. If you remember, the Crows employed a gameplan that sweated on the opposition to kick down the line to a contest, thus forcing turnovers so they could rebound the footy. This was a gameplan tailored to suit a side without a lot of leg speed - it allowed them time to gather where the footy was to be kicked and then to spread and punish a side on the rebound. It was West Coast that cracked the code in round 17 of 2006 by employing a handball-friendly gameplan - rather than being baited into kicking they ran in waves and sliced through Adelaide's pack of runners with pace and relentless workrate. The key was a leg speed advantage - the Crows tried to close their space but they just couldn't keep up. At the time it was also simply accepted that teams kicked a lot more than they handballed; the coaching staff wasn't at all ready for such a course of action from the Eagles and as a result an 80+ point belting was handed out.

St Kilda's gameplan uses a bit from column A and a bit from column B - they not only sweat on a side to kick to a contest (where they cluster their defenders and rebound the ball), they sweat on them to dish quickfire handballs around in a relatively confined space to try to run themselves out of trouble; they obviously sat down over the pre season, analysed how AFL sides spread to run and coached their players to cover the spread. Anyway, while the opposition is covering little territory in trying to get out of trouble with handball, the St Kilda midfielders have time to reach the contest, close the space down and either force a tackle turnover or make the opposition kick to a nest of defenders.

How do you combat this? Well on a ground like Etihad it's not easy (well it's not "easy" anywhere :p) because you don't have the same amount of lateral space to work with, plus the Saints are insanely fit. But I believe it's through covering more distance in trying to get out of trouble, and through sheer pace. Have a look at the sides who have pushed them this year:

Essendon in round 8 - extremely pacy side who like to throw caution to the wind and attack. The Saints struggled to cover this. 9 point margin.

Carlton round 12 - again a lot of runners with leg speed across the ground. 9 point margin.

Geelong round 14 - notorious power running side. 6 point win.

Sydney round 18 - Wide SCG ground. 1 point win.

Essendon round 20 - Again, pace, run, attack. 2 point loss.

North Melbourne round 21 - I didn't watch this game all that closely but I am interested to know where they fell down. Almost certainly a matter of being off the boil and nothing more. 5 point loss

Imo there is a pattern here. The saints are a very, VERY strong outfit and any weakness will take brilliant execution, workrate and class to expose, but on what I've seen I do put stock into them being more vulnerable on the MCG than at Etihad.

If you make the prelim you will push St Kilda. I believe there is a weakness in their running game that can be exposed on the wider MCG ground, and that is far-reaching ball movement to get out of trouble. Collingwood couldn't do it today because they lack the necessary running capacity (losing Pendlebury didn't help); that's the one thing you've got in spades. This is my take on how the Saints work:

The way the saints force turnovers is through something of a reworking of Adelaide's gameplan from 2005-06, the perfect counter you might say. If you remember, the Crows employed a gameplan that sweated on the opposition to kick down the line to a contest, thus forcing turnovers so they could rebound the footy. This was a gameplan tailored to suit a side without a lot of leg speed - it allowed them time to gather where the footy was to be kicked and then to spread and punish a side on the rebound. It was West Coast that cracked the code in round 17 of 2006 by employing a handball-friendly gameplan - rather than being baited into kicking they ran in waves and sliced through Adelaide's pack of runners with pace and relentless workrate. The key was a leg speed advantage - the Crows tried to close their space but they just couldn't keep up. At the time it was also simply accepted that teams kicked a lot more than they handballed; the coaching staff wasn't at all ready for such a course of action from the Eagles and as a result an 80+ point belting was handed out.

St Kilda's gameplan uses a bit from column A and a bit from column B - they not only sweat on a side to kick to a contest (where they cluster their defenders and rebound the ball), they sweat on them to dish quickfire handballs around in a relatively confined space to try to run themselves out of trouble; they obviously sat down over the pre season, analysed how AFL sides spread to run and coached their players to cover the spread. Anyway, while the opposition is covering little territory in trying to get out of trouble with handball, the St Kilda midfielders have time to reach the contest, close the space down and either force a tackle turnover or make the opposition kick to a nest of defenders.

How do you combat this? Well on a ground like Etihad it's not easy (well it's not "easy" anywhere :p) because you don't have the same amount of lateral space to work with, plus the Saints are insanely fit. But I believe it's through covering more distance in trying to get out of trouble, and through sheer pace. Have a look at the sides who have pushed them this year:

Essendon in round 8 - extremely pacy side who like to throw caution to the wind and attack. The Saints struggled to cover this. 9 point margin.

Carlton round 12 - again a lot of runners with leg speed across the ground. 9 point margin.

North Melbourne round 21 - I didn't watch this game all that closely but I am interested to know where they fell down. Almost certainly a matter of being off the boil and nothing more. 5 point loss

Imo there is a pattern here. The saints are a very, VERY strong outfit and any weakness will take brilliant execution, workrate and class to expose, but on what I've seen I do put stock into them being more vulnerable on the MCG than at Etihad.

Good post. I think the fourth quarter on Saturday - despite the missed shots - showed that when we stop looking over our shoulder at every contest and start taking risks and forcing the opponent into committing more we look threatening and capable of beating anyone.

All I have to say in regards to this topic is who cares who we verse

I can never understand the pyschology of some bf posters who don't care about a thread topic but take the time out to post on the thread to say that they don't care about it. It has always intrigued me I have to say. I can't understand the logic of it, but no problem, life is better for the world of mysterious thoughts from the soul that creep into our heart.

BTW welcome to the Bulldogs board. Hope you enjoy your posting here :)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I can never understand the pyschology of some bf posters who don't care about a thread topic but take the time out to post on the thread to say that they don't care about it. It has always intrigued me I have to say. I can't understand the logic of it, but no problem, life is better for the world of mysterious thoughts from the soul that creep into our heart.

BTW welcome to the Bulldogs board. Hope you enjoy your posting here :)

I do care about the topic! Im just saying, it dosen't really matter who we verse! We shouldn't worry about it. It's not a stupid thread, but after thinking about the question I thought that it doesnt really matter who we verse!

I do care about the topic! Im just saying, it dosen't really matter who we verse! We shouldn't worry about it. It's not a stupid thread, but after thinking about the question I thought that it doesnt really matter who we verse!

Thats a good answer :)

I was hoping that St Kilda wouldn't win because we may struggle against them. But like you said, we have to play them at some stage so it may as well be in the preliminary final.

I think the hardest team to verse is actually Brisbane.

St Kilda is easy:
Waltzing Matilda, Boo! for StKilda

Geelong is a doddle:
Ding dang dong, Up yours Geelong!

Adelaide's a bit harder:
Fig jam and marmalade - we hate Adelaide!

Collingwood requires a bit of contrivance and it doesn't scan too well:
Collingwood Collingwood - you'll never be any good

But Brisbane, gee they really are tough to verse.

I think the hardest team to verse is actually Brisbane.

St Kilda is easy:
Waltzing Matilda, Boo! for StKilda

Geelong is a doddle:
Ding dang dong, Up yours Geelong!

Adelaide's a bit harder:
Fig jam and marmalade - we hate Adelaide!

Collingwood requires a bit of contrivance and it doesn't scan too well:
Collingwood Collingwood - you'll never be any good

But Brisbane, gee they really are tough to verse.

Brisbane, they play like a bunch of boy lesbians?

Wow

By the way did you find the fault loop in the deathstar and instruct Luke Skywalker on how to blow it up :)

Wow

By the way did you find the fault loop in the deathstar and instruct Luke Skywalker on how to blow it up :)

Yes. Yes I did. If it wasn't for me Luke would've gotten himself killed. Would have been a disappointing way to end the story.

But seriously if you make the prelim I'm sinking a few dollars on you (you're bound to offer decent odds). There is another component to exposing the St Kilda side but it's not really applicable to you guys because of the balance in your forward line. But I mean the coaches would all know these things; executing it, having a good enough side in the first place, and getting them on the ideal ground to best expose those weaknesses is the problem. Luckily for the cats, crows and dogs the MCG is pretty ideal. Don't be surprised if someone nullifies their brand of pressure football and derails their flag run from here. :thumbsu:

Remove this Banner Ad

Who do we want to win today?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back