Who do you think will or want to win the 2017 flag?

Who will win the flag?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Whatever happens between now and season end the last quarter of the game V Melbourne has already made it Richmond's season.....the roar from the enormous Tiger army was simply electrifying.
This.

I can't remember a H&A roar like that since Troy Taylor's disallowed goal in the last game of 2010 against those wretched Ports.

It will be the side that can maintain the high running game plan for the longest. You'll find in the back half of the year teams that look unbeatable now will fade as energy levels drop. Don't know how anyone can say team x or team y are flag favourites since it seems there's a lot of hamstring injuries around.

As an example:

91a238b91338fd647eb9d0b6c5296f3e.png

GWS 21 points better than Port in attack, but 19 points worse in defence - so **** all (+2 points to GWS). Inside 50s are pretty even (+8 to GWS).The only things that are not are contested possession (+93 to GWS) and clearances (+76 to GWS).

So it takes the Giants 93 more contested possessions and 76 more clearances to get the same net result as Port Adelaide, playing similar quality sides. One is an attack focused team (sides like Adelaide, Geelong, West Coast are in this category) and the other is a defence focused team.

Just like West Coast wasn't really rated until the second half of the season in 2015, Port Adelaide won't be rated until the second half of the season in 2017. And that's perfectly fine with me.

It will be the side that can maintain the high running game plan for the longest. You'll find in the back half of the year teams that look unbeatable now will fade as energy levels drop. Don't know how anyone can say team x or team y are flag favourites since it seems there's a lot of hamstring injuries around.

As an example:

91a238b91338fd647eb9d0b6c5296f3e.png

GWS 21 points better than Port in attack, but 19 points worse in defence - so **** all (+2 points to GWS). Inside 50s are pretty even (+8 to GWS).The only things that are not are contested possession (+93 to GWS) and clearances (+76 to GWS).

So it takes the Giants 93 more contested possessions and 76 more clearances to get the same net result as Port Adelaide, playing similar quality sides. One is an attack focused team (sides like Adelaide, Geelong, West Coast are in this category) and the other is a defence focused team.

Just like West Coast wasn't really rated until the second half of the season in 2015, Port Adelaide won't be rated until the second half of the season in 2017. And that's perfectly fine with me.

Well if this isn't some crazy jumps in logic. Hamstring injuries, less clearances, early in season, less points conceded, ah yes Port will make the grand final.

GWS to win it for me. Still think they are the most talented team in the comp. Have to pull their finger out because they've been playing showboat footy a lot and not working nearly as hard as other teams, but I predict come mid-season it'll click like it did last year and they'll come home with their first flag.

I am liking this run by the Tigers cos they've taken the tag off North for worst 5-0 team ever :$

The big difference is North did it with a heap of guys 30+.

Last night Richmond won their 5th game with:

Oleg Markov - 21 and 9 games
Connor Menaude - 20 and 21 games
Jason Castagna - 20 and 10 games
Daniel Rioli - 20 and 23 games
Todd Elton - 24 and 7 games
Dan Butler - 20 and 5 games
Kamdyn McIntosh - 23 and 33 games
Jayden Short - 21 and 20 games

So I would say you were comfortably the worst 5-0 side in history and hence why you had to rebuild the following year after stating 9-0.

Adelaide will be top four - they're strong on every line. But just seem a midfield and defender short for some reason...

Richmond have improved heaps, if they bring the best they've got ... and any other team is off their game the slightest tad, then funnier things have happened.

To all of those screaming it's a GWS vs Adelaide GF, look back to last year at this time and tell me what you see?

http://www.finalsiren.com/AFLLadder.asp?AFLLadderTypeID=1&SeasonID=2016&Round=5-1

Compare the ladder at round 5: round5_2016.png
And at round 23:
round23_2016.png

Lots and lots of water to go under lots and lots of bridges yet ladies and gentlemen.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Boy oh boy do you miss Big Ty.... lolololol.

There's only a few players who are big enough spuds to be traded when they are in a position of genuine need (vickery, Liam Jones)

What's happening with Griffiths?

You really need to learn to read better.

Miss Ty? As he said "We are severly lacking a strong KPF who hits the contest hard" So clearly Ty isn't going to fix that.

As for Griffiths, same sentence "...and doesnt knock himself out". missed 2 weeks with concussion after the last one, and just played what I gather was a rather ordinary game in the 2s this weekend. He's a useful player, but gets knocked out/concussed way too often, even with the helmet. I wouldn't be surprised if he retired soon, either on medical advice or because he gets a big gun shy afterwards and goes soft (thus the current stint in the 2s). edited to add...Was concussed again in the 2s. :(

The big difference is North did it with a heap of guys 30+.

Last night Richmond won their 5th game with:

Oleg Markov - 21 and 9 games
Connor Menaude - 20 and 21 games
Jason Castagna - 20 and 10 games
Daniel Rioli - 20 and 23 games
Todd Elton - 24 and 7 games
Dan Butler - 20 and 5 games
Kamdyn McIntosh - 23 and 33 games
Jayden Short - 21 and 20 games

So I would say you were comfortably the worst 5-0 side in history and hence why you had to rebuild the following year after stating 9-0.

Enjoy it while it lasts cos you're about to get a harsh reality check

Enjoy it while it lasts cos you're about to get a harsh reality check

That's the problem oppo supporters have on BF.

Don't think there is one Richmond supporter who realistically thinks we will go through unbeaten or win the flag.

Oppo flogs in here are quick to turn it up.

Fact is we have beaten some average teams and taken our chances. I'm glad when the game has been there to win, we have stood up
and gutsed it out, not choked like we would with lesser leadership.

Would be great to make finals this year but are a class or two below Adelaide, Bulldogs and GWS.

I agree. That was a response to a Freo poster who seems to think that Crows haven't played any decent teams yet which is manifestly untrue.
Fair enough
Like a lot of people on BF I dont read context in posts enough.
If we do get to play again we'ĺl nèed to be a lot better it's true.

Only decent team they've played to date is west coast at the MCG which play like a bottom four side there.

Melbourne is the best side they have faced and only managed to run over them in the last quarter when the Dees were down to 2 on the bench, Petracca on one leg and Watts as the number 1 ruck.

Adelaide (away): Loss
Bulldogs (etihad): Loss
Freo (MCG): Win
GWS (away): Loss
Essendon (MCG): 50/50 but we'll go Win
North (etihad): 50/50 but we'll say Loss as they'll lose 1 of these 3 (ess, north, syd) minimum.
Sydney (MCG): who knows how they'll be tracking. We'll say Win
Carlton: Win
Port (Away): Loss
St Kilda (Etihad): Loss
Brisbane (MCG): Win
GWS (MCG): Loss
GC (Away): Win
Hawks (MCG): Who knows, we'll say Win
Geelong (SS): Loss
Freo (Away): Loss
St Kilda (MCG): Win

Going favourably towards wins/losses that gets them

13-9

Could be 10 wins could be 14 with a bit of luck.

Should be around 6-10th

Remove this Banner Ad

Who do you think will or want to win the 2017 flag?

Back