Universal Love Who is the best player who has played for the Melbourne Football Club since and including 2000? WINNER: Max Gawn

Who has been the better player for Melbourne?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

I have been a little piss takey in this thread but all time league great? Dunno about that.

That's your Wayne Careys, Leigh Matthews, Buddy franklins.

Gawn doesn't sit in that category

Gawn is one of the best ever in his position - he is absolutely an all time league great.

Gawn is one of the best ever in his position - he is absolutely an all time league great.
I dunno, I think that's slightly too generous.

Polly farmer is an all time great
7x east Perth bnf
2x Geelong bnf
3x Sandover medalist
2x Simpson medalist ( WA norm smith)
3x AA
Geelong premiership player
5x WA premiership player

392 career senior games

That's an all time legend.

The thing I just don’t get, posters that love and vote for Neita - hate Gawn. The posters that vote for Gawn also love Neita.

Gawn is great but lacks the intangibles I like in a footballer. I dont hate him, I just dont like him.

So many things that annoy me:

Everything is a joke and his podcast sucks
Acts like hes some sort of clutch assassin while being one of the biggest chokers going round
Throws his arms out looking for frees / Flops, goes to ground easy.
Is easily put off his game with physicality
Arrogant statements to the fan base since the flag, ie: a dynasty is coming, teams wish they were us.. then tells the fan base we have done well finishing top 4 without winning a final on our home deck in 4 attempts.

He makes me sick.

Gawn is great but lacks the intangibles I like in a footballer. I dont hate him, I just dont like him.

So many things that annoy me:

Everything is a joke and his podcast sucks
Acts like hes some sort of clutch assassin while being one of the biggest chokers going round
Throws his arms out looking for frees
Is easily put off his game with physicality
Arrogant statements to the fan base since the flag, ie: a dynasty is coming, teams wish they were us.. then tells the fan base we have done well finishing top 4 without winning a final on our home deck in 4 attempts.

He makes me sick.
Yep. Can't imagine Selwood, Brown or Voss as captains talking about doing well to lose 4 home finals in a row

Yep. Can't imagine Selwood, Brown or Voss as captains talking about doing well to lose 4 home finals in a row
Neitz was happier to only make finals every second year instead.

I dunno, I think that's slightly too generous.

Polly farmer is an all time great
7x east Perth bnf
2x Geelong bnf
3x Sandover medalist
2x Simpson medalist ( WA norm smith)
3x AA
Geelong premiership player
5x WA premiership player

392 career senior games

That's an all time legend.

IMG_5742.jpeg

I also never used the word legend, that’s where I’d put the guys like Franklin.

I very very much doubt Neitz ever said the words teams should envy us for being top 4
If actual team success means we get some bad media spin I'll happily cop it.

Everyone wants to talk up Neitz's leadership but he was captain of a group of players who were totally behind the eight-ball in terms of professionalism. Sure he didn't have as good a list to play with but guys like Johnstone and Sylvia had all the tools to be as good as Petracca and never got the wake-up call that he did.

That team was fun to watch when they were up and about but incredibly frustrating and sucked the moment they left the MCG. Gawn has captained the most reliable Melbourne team in my lifetime regardless of a couple of crap finals series.

If actual team success means we get some bad media spin I'll happily cop it.

Everyone wants to talk up Neitz's leadership but he was captain of a group of players who were totally behind the eight-ball in terms of professionalism.

If you wanna throw that at Neitz then where has Gawn been while his teammates are doing coke before finals and damaging property

Wasn't Neitz fault we didn't draft or trade for any good defenders, same way Gawn didn't build the list he was just here for it

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Lets talk about Stephen Powell some more. :love:

I want to change my vote to Stephen Powell actually

Stephen Powell > Max Gawn

If you wanna throw that at Neitz then where has Gawn been while his teammates are doing coke before finals and damaging property

Wasn't Neitz fault we didn't draft or trade for any good defenders, same way Gawn didn't build the list he was just here for it
Oliver has absolutely lived up to his potential though. Johnstone and Sylvia never did. They cruised through their careers which is what I'm talking about. Petracca actually became an A-grader the same year Gawn became captain and you could see the changes happening at the club that lead to 2021.

As far as off-field issues go, Gawn has literally brought Oliver into his home to try and help him.

I'd agree with your last point if I believed that 00's group got everything out of themselves but I don't think they got anywhere close tbh.

Also Gawn vomitted on Tom Scully so this really isn't even a question.

Oliver has absolutely lived up to his potential though. Johnstone and Sylvia never did. They cruised through their careers which is what I'm talking about. Petracca actually became an A-grader the same year Gawn became captain and you could see the changes happening at the club that lead to 2021.

As far as off-field issues go, Gawn has literally brought Oliver into his home to try and help him.

I'd agree with your last point if I believed that 00's group got everything out of themselves but I don't think they got anywhere close tbh.
Yeah doesn't alot of that have to do with the Ox being a bit of a flog and taking the young blokes under his wing.

Also if you wanna be like that, the only year the club has actually hit it's potential was when we were forced into a covid bubble. When we've been out on our own we've been massive underpeformers

**** Stephen Powell was a gun for us. Why did he leave?

Remove this Banner Ad

Universal Love Who is the best player who has played for the Melbourne Football Club since and including 2000? WINNER: Max Gawn

Back