Who is the best side in the comp on their day?

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looks like the bookmakers & punters of Australia are all delusional as well.

Either that or yourself, the distibutor, et al have your heads up your butts.

2011flag.jpg

Fremantle were a "ridiculously injury riddled team" in the EF. :eek:

Can you please name the plethera of players they had missing, oh wise bandwagonner.

tarrant (best defender), barlow (best mid), ballyntine, hasleby, crowley was rushed back as well as many other under done players, their best player (sandlands) was also on one leg for most of the game and couldnt ruck), and you still couldnt win, the feared hawks let us all down again, guess freo played above themselves though, they must of, everyone knows no one can beat hawthorn in a final.

Only repeating the thoughts of another who was at the game from a Saint supporters perspective.
As I said, pretty subjective really. If they had got that last point it would have been their best game in living memory.

Incorrect.

I follow, watch Saints games weekly even IF we had secured that additional point it certainly wouldnt be a win at our best - a good half but not a complete 4 qtr effort.

Saints in 2010 struggled to have 4 qtr efforts - unlike 09. We had a constant run of injury and enough bad press to ensure the team was always under the pump. With the shyte we dealt with last year Im still amazed we made the GF, let alone got within a whisker of winning it.

GF2 result doesnt phase me at all - a 21 yr old kid in the ruck against a seasoned pro in Jolley saw the clearance count at one stage at 22 -7.....we were never gonna win with that sort of lop sided centre square ruck efforts. Jolley was BOG for mine by a mile.

Do I think Pies are 56 pts better side in 2011? nup. Do the Pies?.....I hope so.

tarrant (best defender), barlow (best mid), ballyntine, hasleby, crowley was rushed back as well as many other under done players, their best player (sandlands) was also on one leg for most of the game and couldnt ruck), and you still couldnt win, the feared hawks let us all down again, guess freo played above themselves though, they must of, everyone knows no one can beat hawthorn in a final.

So you've named three players missing from their best 22 (Hasleby was omitted fyi). Mate, you do know players often play injured & underdone each week.
A ridiculously injury riddled team :eek:.

No doubt you're aware the Hawks lost two key personnel b4 the 1/2 thou.:rolleyes:

Incorrect.

I follow, watch Saints games weekly even IF we had secured that additional point it certainly wouldnt be a win at our best - a good half but not a complete 4 qtr effort.

Saints in 2010 struggled to have 4 qtr efforts - unlike 09. We had a constant run of injury and enough bad press to ensure the team was always under the pump. With the shyte we dealt with last year Im still amazed we made the GF, let alone got within a whisker of winning it.

GF2 result doesnt phase me at all - a 21 yr old kid in the ruck against a seasoned pro in Jolley saw the clearance count at one stage at 22 -7.....we were never gonna win with that sort of lop sided centre square ruck efforts. Jolley was BOG for mine by a mile.

Do I think Pies are 56 pts better side in 2011? nup. Do the Pies?.....I hope so.

GF1 was heading in the exact same direction as GF2 though, to your credit you got back into it (something no other team wouldve been able to do), but i reckon we lost our structures, maxwell was livid after the game and from all reports MM was ropable, thankfully we didnt pay the ultimate price (for what ever reason it happened), 2 for the price of one IMO, loved the fortnight, i wouldve prefered to win by a point in GF1 than to win by 10 goals in GF2 though, saints will be there again next year, im tipping a pies saints GF again.

Incorrect.

LOL.
I think you are misreading my post, making the assumption that I'm having a dig at the Saints.
You may weel feel that way about the Saints in 2010, but I'll guarantee you that a dozen or more of close friends who support the Saints though they had a briliant year. Not so dominant as 2009 true, but each and every oe would have considered a one point win in the drawn GF as the best game of the year. That does not devalue your opinion.
For the record Collingwood and I are not the same thing, nor are they related in anyway to any poster on this board.

Only results which show if Collingwood are even better than the Saints let alone 56 points. I'm pretty sure the club are doing everything in their power to prevent a hangover. Geelong, the Saints and Collingwood have all successfully backed up from very good seasons in recent times so I don't see it as being any more than coincidence that side have had problems in the past. Hawthorn for instance.

So you've named three players missing from their best 22 (Hasleby was omitted fyi). Mate, you do know players often play injured & underdone each week.
A ridiculously injury riddled team :eek:.

No doubt you're aware the Hawks lost two key personnel b4 the 1/2 thou.:rolleyes:

2 or 3 weeks prior they had 11 of their 22 fit, they rushed who they could back for that game, also, you were playing freo, FREO!!!, surely you pencill that win in especialy in a final, but dont worry, everyones still scared of you guys man, just quivering in our boots we are..:rolleyes:

Our coaching staff feel that at least 2 of Bailey/hale/renouf will stay fit and with lowden coming through skipper would not add too much to our list next year.

2 or 3 weeks prior they had 11 of their 22 fit, they rushed who they could back for that game,

Wasn't it amazing...all those one week injuries to so many key players.:cool:

I bet you still believe in Santa too.

Harvey 'rested' approx. 10 of his better players & virtually conceded the Launcestion match against us. Kept his players fresh and free from travel with a view to defeating Carlton in R22 to gain a HOME elimination final.

....everyones still scared of you guys man, just quivering in our boots we are..:rolleyes:

Oh dear:eek: You're obviously a pubescent bandwagonner.

Harvey 'rested' approx. 10 of his better players & virtually conceded the Launcestion match against us. Kept his players fresh and free from travel with a view to defeating Carlton in R22 to gain a HOME elimination final.

but, you were still beaten by freo, and your supposedly the most feared team in the competion, a team who's won how many games out of your last 45? and havnt won a final for 2 yrs, and your trying to somehow compare them to collingwood? please. :rolleyes:, what happens next year when you miss the 8 again?, should we still be scared of the hawks "best"?, epic lolzs.

i reckon carlton are a better team TBH., and their recent record proves it, and carlton are crap!!

I understand the bit of the question "on their day". The problem is that Geelong were better 2 years ago and St. Kilda was probably better last year. Collingwood SHOULD improve their confidence by winning a premiership and be an even better team in 2011...if they dont get complacent.

The question is an interesting one. I dont think it can be answered without defining a criteria.....and once you define that criteria, you are going to favour a particular team.

If you start counting "star" players, then you are discounting the very thing - team efforts - that won Collingwood a premiership.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

well lets talk about the cats best if you like, we played them 2 weeks before the finals and won by 4 goals, most experts said it felt like a 12 goal hammering though, destroyed the dogs in our first final (we let up late as usual), absolutly destroyed the cats in the prelim, howd the saints go against the cats in the final series?, less than a kick IIRC and the cats shouldve won that IMO.

fact is we had one blotch on our season and that was the drawn GF, it was played again and we did what we did to every other team we came up against in the finals, we didnt beat shit teams either, we smashed good ones, teams the saints struggled to beat we destroyed, you just cant accept that fact, and we did it with the youngest AFL team to ever to compete in a finals series.
Except you are not talking about the Cats best. We were pretty good in our first Pies clash, but all saw how off we were at the end, mainly due to Collingwood's dominance.

The question is: Whose best is the best? and right now, it's obviously Pies.

Herping & derping.

:p

I understand the bit of the question "on their day". The problem is that Geelong were better 2 years ago and St. Kilda was probably better last year. Collingwood SHOULD improve their confidence by winning a premiership and be an even better team in 2011...if they dont get complacent.

The question is an interesting one. I dont think it can be answered without defining a criteria.....and once you define that criteria, you are going to favour a particular team.

If you start counting "star" players, then you are discounting the very thing - team efforts - that won Collingwood a premiership.

Based on a selected criteria you could really make a case for a few clubs.

In the end it all comes down to how many times throughout a season (and in crucial games) a team plays to (or near) their peak. Clearly Collingwood were ahead in both aspects in 2010.

Lots of Pies fans here...

Hard to say who'd be best at their peak. Hawks game plan is one that has troubled Collingwood in the past couple of years but then Hawks have had down falls against a few sides where our game plan struggles. Collingwood is probably a more complete side but going forward and looking at 2011 it's hard to say who is the best of the listed teams. You'd have to say Collingwood is the best coming off 2010 results but with all teams at 100% and in form it'd be a very close call, you could have 4-6 teams up there pretty evenly based on potential.

ROFL. Love the avatar...smoking C**K?

Hawthorn are nowhere near the best of anything. Our whole problem is this attitude of " we can beat anyone on our day and just turn it on like a tap " perpetuated from our coach down, which I find a massive cause for concern. It's a blatant mistruth and has infested the club from top to bottom.

Those supporters believing it need to look at our win-loss record the last two years. We struggle to beat sides like Essendon, West Coast and Richmond. Our club needs a semi re-build, not top up players like Hale and Bruce.

FWIW I think Colingwood are the best side on their day in the comp until proven otherwise

Hawthorn are nowhere near the best of anything. Our whole problem is this attitude of " we can beat anyone on our day and just turn it on like a tap " perpetuated from our coach down, which I find a massive cause for concern. It's a blatant mistruth and has infested the club from top to bottom.

Those supporters believing it need to look at our win-loss record the last two years. We struggle to beat sides like Essendon, West Coast and Richmond. Our club needs a semi re-build, not top up players like Hale and Bruce.

FWIW I think Colingwood are the best side on their day in the comp until proven otherwise

+1, hawks fans have been spoilt over the years with more than their fair share of great teams, lots of hawks fans think its the norm, wish we had the hawks recent history (last 25 yrs or so).

Collingwood obviously since they won 3 of their 4 finals last year very easily. Hawks not better on their 'day' but possibly have the widest gap between a team's best and worst which creates this illusion.

excellent answer, very true.

Absolutely spot on Hyper. I think your coach has a lot to do with it too...top post that probably wont be appreciated by certain Hawk posters that cant see the wood for the trees. A lot of work to be done down Hawthorn way.

And yes, the Premiers are the best until another team proves otherwise. We will see soon enough.

I think we are in big trouble in a few years time. The damage has already been done imo.

Years of pissing away top draft picks will come back to haunt us.

We probably have the least amount of decent players 22 and under in the competition.

We would want to win another flag in the next 2-3 years because it looks pretty bleak after that to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back