Who is the best side in the comp on their day?

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
to be fair, i doubt there are any hawthorn supporters who think we are a best team on our day in the comp.
or that we have 3,6 or 10 of the best players in the comp.

this all steam rolled from a joke by a hawthorn supporter saying we have 6 of the 10 best players.

Collingwood are clearly the best on there day at the moment, but footy changes fast and the gap bettween them and lets say St.Kilda, Gellong, Western Bulldogs, Fremantle and Hawthorn isnt overly great.

Think you may have mis understood my previous post , on their day I believe Hawthorn is the best side in the comp, likewise their 10 best players on their day are better than any other sides best 10 . If firing Jeff Kennett could be on the ground and they'd still win !!
Problem is they have tended to be injury prone over the last 2 years and therefore have required more influence from they're bottom 5-6 who as previously stated possibly arent as strong as some other sides bottom 5-6 !!

Why did they beat you if they're that poor?

Rioli, Sewell, Lewis, Birchall, Stratton, Mitchell, Bateman, Roughead, Young, Ellis and Burgoyne would all get games at Collingwood.

Blair played 12 games this year...

If you had Sewell, Mitchell or Lewis, you wouldn't have had to chase Ball and pay him a small fortune to get him to pick 30.

These three could play the Ball role.

A bit like like Rioli, Isaac Smith has the potential to give the Hawks the legspeed and x factor that their best 22 lacked.

The Hawks could beat any midfield and side on their day.

No one can stop Franklin.

Franklin firing makes Roughead a better player.

It's their KPD and ruck division that hasn't stood up since 2008.

The Hawks need Schoenmakers to become a KPD like Ben Reid did this year.

Goldsack and Toovey played in a flag, yet aren't better defenders than Gibson, Birchall and Stratton who stepped straight into AFL footy this year.

The Pies players stuck to their roles to be the premier team, but individually, they aren't as talented as the super teams like Essendon 2000, Carlton 1995, Geelong 2007 to 2009 and Brisbane's three peat.

Dreaming.

Collingwood's second tier aren't world beaters who would necessarily pull their weight if they played for WC, Essendon, Brisbane or Richmond. A fair few of their supporters were willing to offload Wellingham for Ball last year. And even more vitriolic towards Toovey when he was a battler and Malthouse's love child.

:D:D:D:DCarlscum:D:D:D:D

My question is; in what universe is Ball better than Sewell.

Sewell was dropped in 2010, for poor form.....he had a late reprieve due to another player being a late withdrawal.

Sewell didn't feature in the Hawks top 10 in the BnF voting this year....L.Ball finished 5th in the Copeland.

Ball had a much better 2010 than Sewell, and Ball's best is much better than Sewell's.

I'd have a 10-12 split

FB: Stratton, Tarrant, Shaw
HB: O'Brien, Reid, Maxwell
C: Pendlebury, Mitchel, Thomas
HF: Didak, Cloke, Burgoyne
FF: Rioli, Franklin, Roughead
R: Jolly, Hodge, Swan
I/C: Sewell, Renouf, Beams
sub: Birchal

But back on topic. If Ablett was still at Geelong I would have said the cats, but now I'd say Collingwood. I still would've backed Collingwood but on their day Geelong with Ablett are unstoppable.

Sewell had a serious injury to start the year though. I was surprised he came back so soon.

I'd take Ball but it's close.

This is actually a really tight contest, and probably derailing the thread a bit, but Ball v Sewell. Both ridiculously competitive at the Ball, neither provide outside run or good finishing. Hhhmmmmmmm

A very witty retort.

I like the way you were able to embed the word 'scum' into the name Carlton.

I also think it was very clever the way you maintained the symmetry by including an even four smiley faces either side of the word 'Carlscum'.

Pretty good work for a Collingwood supporter :thumbsu:

A very witty retort.

I like the way you were able to embed the word 'scum' into the name Carlton.

I also think it was very clever the way you maintained the symmetry by including an even four smiley faces either side of the word 'Carlscum'.

Pretty good work for a Collingwood supporter :thumbsu:

Thanks sunshine glad to brighten your day for you if ever you decide to post unprejudiced considered posts I may even drop the scum for you.

Bit like Geelong, will they be able to replace Gazza.....I dont reckon they will.

I wonder if their supporters will still crap on about 2009 next year if they are struggling down in 8th spot?? If Hawthorn is an example they will still post threads saying everybody fears them and they are still a challenger.

I hope not, 2009 is history. As it stands now we have major challenges ahead of us. We're going to miss Ablett a lot more than the average fan realises. If we continue to play the same personnel we'll drop further and further behind. If Scott has the courage to drop guys like Mooney, Ottens, Corey and Milburn (if warranted), and our younger guys can stand up, we may be in for a good season.

Either way though, there are no excuses.

Why did they beat you if they're that poor?

Rioli, Sewell, Lewis, Birchall, Stratton, Mitchell, Bateman, Roughead, Young, Ellis and Burgoyne would all get games at Collingwood.

Blair played 12 games this year...

If you had Sewell, Mitchell or Lewis, you wouldn't have had to chase Ball and pay him a small fortune to get him to pick 30.

These three could play the Ball role.

A bit like like Rioli, Isaac Smith has the potential to give the Hawks the legspeed and x factor that their best 22 lacked.

The Hawks could beat any midfield and side on their day.

No one can stop Franklin.

Franklin firing makes Roughead a better player.

It's their KPD and ruck division that hasn't stood up since 2008.

The Hawks need Schoenmakers to become a KPD like Ben Reid did this year.

Goldsack and Toovey played in a flag, yet aren't better defenders than Gibson, Birchall and Stratton who stepped straight into AFL footy this year.

The Pies players stuck to their roles to be the premier team, but individually, they aren't as talented as the super teams like Essendon 2000, Carlton 1995, Geelong 2007 to 2009 and Brisbane's three peat.

Dreaming.

Collingwood's second tier aren't world beaters who would necessarily pull their weight if they played for WC, Essendon, Brisbane or Richmond. A fair few of their supporters were willing to offload Wellingham for Ball last year. And even more vitriolic towards Toovey when he was a battler and Malthouse's love child.

Melbourne nearly beat us too, the game the hawks beat us in was a dead rubber, meant absolutly zilch to us, and even then a str8 kick still wins it for us.

i feel you're going to go through a hell of a lot of heartache these coming years my friend, nothing can stop this team, NOTHING!!!!, you aint seen nothin yet!!

I'd have a 10-12 split

FB: Stratton, Tarrant, Shaw
HB: O'Brien, Reid, Maxwell
C: Pendlebury, Mitchel, Thomas
HF: Didak, Cloke, Burgoyne
FF: Rioli, Franklin, Roughead
I/C: Sewell, Renouf, Beams
sub: Birchal

But back on topic. If Ablett was still at Geelong I would have said the cats, but now I'd say Collingwood. I still would've backed Collingwood but on their day Geelong with Ablett are unstoppable.

Maybe I'm missing something........ no Hodge? :eek:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Fremantle.

SandiPav in form and Stephen Hill/Morabito going well at Subiaco. Michael Barlow distributing.

They can beat any team on their day (at Subi).

To answer this question you have to clarify why it was their day in the first place. There's more to it than simply playing a blinder.

Were they playing at home?

Did the opposition have injuries?

Were the opposition just plain crap?

Did they umps give them a good run?

I would say that to sum up the most devastating team fairly you have to look at how they play at all grounds not just 1 particular game to average out these parameters.

IMO Collingwood in season 2010 was clearly the best team "on their day" and they had quite a lot of them as well.

I think if you take Carlton as a measuring stick for Vic clubs, they are a good side. They accounted for the lower teams like Melbourne and Richmond comfortably in 2010 and had wins over more fancied opposition like Geelong.

Collingwood completely destroyed this mob so clinically it wasn't funny.

Are you suggesting that Collingwood played their best footy in GF1?

Im saying St Kilda playing close to their best can pull a team away from playing at their best, and St Kilda not playing at their best cost them.

I still do not believe that 56 points is both sides at their best.
That's Collingwood's best and St Kilda's worst.

Im saying St Kilda playing close to their best can pull a team away from playing at their best, and St Kilda not playing at their best cost them.

I still do not believe that 56 points is both sides at their best.
That's Collingwood's best and St Kilda's worst.

Wishful thinking.

The true reflection of the gap between our sides are 4 encounters during the season. 5 goal win to you where we had you on toast, 8 goal win to us, a draw where we had you on toast and a 9 goal humiliation.

These results show a 56 points gap is not far of the mark.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back