Who Really is the best player in the AFL

Remove this Banner Ad

It's gotta be Buddy Franklin, especially after the season he just had, and a premiership to boot.

In my opinion the most successful goal-kicker is usually the best player (unless there aren't any good goalkickers at a particular point in time). For that reason I'd say Franklin was the best player in 2008. But I like Ablett more.

Massive FAIL!!!

Are you trying to tell us all that you thought that Fraser Gehrig was the BEST PLAYER IN THE AFL in 2004 AND 2005???

Or that your vote for the BEST PLAYER in 1999 was the great Scott Cummings???

Or that in 1986 and 1987, the man they call CAPPER was the second best player, behind the Bristle Man and Plugger respectively???

Note the word "usually". Please read posts properly before responding. It's my opinion that forwards are the rarest talents. I don't see how that's a massive fail? Trying to make yourself look good?

Note the word "usually". Please read posts properly before responding. It's my opinion that forwards are the rarest talents. I don't see how that's a massive fail? Trying to make yourself look good?

Ok, so if you think that "usually" the leading goal kicker is the best player let's just look how the coleman medallists have gone in their club B&F's over the passed 10 years.

2008 - Franklin, WIN
2007 - Brown, WIN
2006 - Fevola, NO WIN, Lance Whitnall WON :thumbsu:
2005 - Gehrig, NO WIN, Steve Baker and Luke Ball WON :thumbsu:
2004 - Gehrig, NO WIN, Riewoldt WON :thumbsu:
2003 - Lloyd, NO WIN, James Hird and Scott Lucas WON :thumbsu:
2002 - Nietz, WIN
2001 - Lloyd, NO WIN, Jason Johnson WON :thumbsu:
2000 - Lloyd, NO WIN, Dustin Fletcher WON :thumbsu:
1999 - Cummings, NO WIN, Guy McKenna WON :thumbsu:

I get it now, they really are "usually" the best players in the entire AFL.

If you have man love for people who kick goals, that's OK. Maybe state other reasons why you think goal kickers are the best players in the AFL and not just that they kick goals and are "usually" the best.

I ask you this though, was Silvagni any less of a player when he was at FB, or Nietz, or Pavlich. They were all champions playing in defense before becoming champions playing forward.

Ok, so if you think that "usually" the leading goal kicker is the best player let's just look how the coleman medallists have gone in their club B&F's over the passed 10 years.

2008 - Franklin, WIN
2007 - Brown, WIN
2006 - Fevola, NO WIN, Lance Whitnall WON :thumbsu:
2005 - Gehrig, NO WIN, Steve Baker and Luke Ball WON :thumbsu:
2004 - Gehrig, NO WIN, Riewoldt WON :thumbsu:
2003 - Lloyd, NO WIN, James Hird and Scott Lucas WON :thumbsu:
2002 - Nietz, WIN
2001 - Lloyd, NO WIN, Jason Johnson WON :thumbsu:
2000 - Lloyd, NO WIN, Dustin Fletcher WON :thumbsu:
1999 - Cummings, NO WIN, Guy McKenna WON :thumbsu:

I get it now, they really are "usually" the best players in the entire AFL.

If you have man love for people who kick goals, that's OK. Maybe state other reasons why you think goal kickers are the best players in the AFL and not just that they kick goals and are "usually" the best.

You don't get it, do you? I said it's my opinion. I admit that not a lot of people agree with me, including those who vote in best and fairests. How could Jason Johnson have had a better season in 2000 and 2001 than Matthew Lloyd, who kicked 100+ goals both years? Other midfielders had similar seasons to Jason Johnson, but Matty was easily the best goalkicker of the time. So using the B & F argument is silly.

Anyway, look I know you're all defensive about your Ablett, and I admitted I like him more than Franklin, but my reason was that prolific forwards are so much rarer than midfielders, hence why in my opinion the best forward is usually the best player in the comp.

I look at that list above and think that the best & fairest awards didn't usually go to the best player in those years. Which is exactly my point.

I ask you this though, was Silvagni any less of a player when he was at FB, or Nietz, or Pavlich. They were all champions playing in defense before becoming champions playing forward.

I believe players with defensive and offensive abilities are usually more valuable to the team up forward, which falls in line with my opinion.

Luke Hodge clearly the best in the comp for mine..

The only player in the competition able to dominate games from any position on the field and can play 37 different roles during a game....

He was the man that unglued Geelong and dominated the finals series.

Luke Hodge - best easily.

Bit of a horses for course. If Abblett played on Pav this year Pav would have kicked 150 goals but on the other hand if Buddy Franklin played on Sam Mitchell he would have been dropped to the seconds pretty quick.
You really hav to rate players in their positions to get a true gauge.

and that my friend is why Hodge is the best player in the comp because he can play on anyone in any position and not only beat his opponent but dominate the game...from the backline, midfield, foward line or the bench.

Something G Ablett and C Judd whilst being great players will never be able to do.

Here is my opinion since I can recall (also having a break from study)

1991 - Lockett
1992 - Dunstall
1993 - Williams
1994 - Ablett Snr
1995 - Ablett Snr
1996 - Carey
1997 - Harvey
1998 - Carey
1999 - Carey
2000 - Koutoufides
2001 - Hird
2002 - Voss
2003 - Voss
2004 - Tredrea
2005 - Judd
2006 - Judd
2007 - Ablett Jnr
2008 - Franklin

and that my friend is why Hodge is the best player in the comp because he can play on anyone in any position and not only beat his opponent but dominate the game...from the backline, midfield, foward line or the bench.

Something G Ablett and C Judd whilst being great players will never be able to do.
Yeah but he isn't that great in the midfield like Judd or Ablett, and he hasn't really shown anything up forward, where Ablett plays well when he's resting there.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ablett and Judd don't need to play forward and back because they are the two best midfielders in the comp. It would be crazy to move them out of position. Just because they haven't been moved doesn't mean they couldn't move though. I've seen Judd play forward and be effective, and Ablett used to play forward as well.

Neither of them would go off searching for cheap kicks in the backline though. ;)

I've seen Judd play forward and be effective, and Ablett used to play forward as well.

I've seen Judd play forward and he was hopless. If you cant mark overhead and your kicking is average then its hard to play a position at either end of the ground.

I've seen Judd play forward and he was hopless. If you cant mark overhead and your kicking is average then its hard to play a position at either end of the ground.

Well, what about Ablett? The last time he played FF was against Freo. He kicked 6 goals that day and dominated. he was also one of the best small forwards in the comp when he played as a small forward.

You're half right. If Judd has a weakness it is overhead marking. HOWEVER, I'd be loath to stake my life on such a claim, as it's quite possible that Judd simply doesn't need to mark. I.e. it's just a relative impression we get as we never see him do it.

Besides, why would you play Judd in the forward line, when at full fitness and form he is the best midfielder in the competition, and capable of kicking 30 gaols a season from that position? Any discussion of his worth as a resting forward is just pointless.

You're half right. If Judd has a weakness it is overhead marking. HOWEVER, I'd be loath to stake my life on such a claim, as it's quite possible that Judd simply doesn't need to mark. I.e. it's just a relative impression we get as we never see him do it.

Besides, why would you play Judd in the forward line, when at full fitness and form he is the best midfielder in the competition, and capable of kicking 30 gaols a season from that position? Any discussion of his worth as a resting forward is just pointless.
That's very debatable.

Chris Judd he is a freak and begineng of last year showed that if he didnt get injured he would have won the brownlow by the length of flemington.

1. Judd
2. Buddy
3. Ablett
4. Kerr
5. Cox

Remove this Banner Ad

Who Really is the best player in the AFL

Remove this Banner Ad

Back