Who Really is the best player in the AFL

Remove this Banner Ad

That's very debatable.

Know its not i am yet to see Ablett tear a team apart in 1 half like Judd did vs Brisbane when he was only 19 kicked 5 goals to win eagles the game and that was againts one of the best EVER midfields. or the other year 39 touches half were hardball gets and 2 goals

Know its not i am yet to see Ablett tear a team apart in 1 half like Judd did vs Brisbane when he was only 19 kicked 5 goals to win eagles the game and that was againts one of the best EVER midfields. or the other year 39 touches half were hardball gets and 2 goals
Sydney in rd.5 Ablett got 3 goals, 19 possessions - 15 of those contested, and about 9 clearances all in the 2nd half.
Also Against Nth.Melbourne they were hailing his 39 possessions & 3 goal game as one of the greatest individual performances of the modern era.

You're half right. If Judd has a weakness it is overhead marking. HOWEVER, I'd be loath to stake my life on such a claim, as it's quite possible that Judd simply doesn't need to mark. I.e. it's just a relative impression we get as we never see him do it.

Besides, why would you play Judd in the forward line, when at full fitness and form he is the best midfielder in the competition, and capable of kicking 30 gaols a season from that position? Any discussion of his worth as a resting forward is just pointless.
Well he doesn't need to take overhead marks playing in the midfield it's as simple as that. He's an inside player more than a link man, although he does kick goals. He can take a contested mark when he needs to, I remember a game v Richmond in 2005, we won by 2 points and he kicked three goals, two in the last quarter from contested marks, one with barely any time remaining, a banana from the pocket.

The only time he has been used as a forward was the Port final in 07, when he could barely move. Still kicked two goals and almost won us the game, had four shots from inside 50 but with his groin problem struggled to make the distance.

I've come to the realisation, Trent Cotchin is the best player in the AFL right now and I can't see anyone over-taking him for the next decade :)

____________​

MENTION the name Trent Cotchin to any Richmond fan and get ready for the gushing to begin. After just 15 games the teenager has been identified as Richo's replacement for the role of messiah at Punt Rd.

And the news is not good for those who have already had enough of Cotchin-mania from Tiger fans.

Cotchin yesterday revealed that instead of spending the off-season with his feet up contemplating a brilliant debut season, he kept training. And training. And training.

Together with fellow youngsters Jack Riewoldt and Daniel Connors, Cotchin has been running around the Tan and cycling around Melbourne's streets to get his body ready for the rigours of AFL football.

"I felt like I missed a fair bit last year, so I wanted to make up as much ground as I could in the off-season," he said. "So I trained pretty much every day.

"Obviously, we were careful not to do too much so the body didn't get too sore, but we did a fair bit of running. We went together as a little group and did three main runs a week and then on the off days we were doing the bike."

The results were on show yesterday morning at Ocean Grove as the Tigers' first to third-year players completed a mini-triathlon of beach running and ocean swimming.

Cotchin's new-found endurance and ripped physique had the assembled coaching panel rubbing their hands together in excitement.

Their theory is that the arrival of Cotchin and the professionalism the 18-year-old brings to the table will ensure fellow midfield stars Brett Deledio and Nathan Foley will be forced to raise the bar during the pre-season to keep the young challenger at bay.

Last year's No. 2 draft pick did not make his debut until Round 8 after missing the entire pre-season because of a foot injury. He then played every game, averaging 16 disposals and four marks.

"I blew up a lot in games this year," Cotchin said.

"So I wasn't able to play 70 or 80 per cent of the game, I was more 50 to 60. So I just want to be able to have the fitness base that I can work with next season.

"I was about 87kg last season for the last three or four games and I've gone back down to 83kg, which is where I want to be. I feel my running has improved from running around the Tan and those sorts of things. I definitely feel a lot better."

Cotchin's original goal for his debut season had been to play just one game, but his focus is more team-orientated for 2009.

"When I did have the injury and didn't do much of the pre-season, I was just hoping to play one senior game, just get a taste of it, really, and then set myself for next year," he said.

"Obviously, I enjoyed the year, and winning a fair few games in the second half of the season brings a lot of excitement to the group.

"The intensity was at the highest level you could possibly get, and I really just enjoyed my footy with a bunch of great blokes that I get along really well with."

While Cotchin impressed yesterday, the standout was young defender Alex Rance, son of former Footscray defender Murray, who streeted the competition in the time-trial.

SOURCE: http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/spo...-19742,00.html

0,,6324243,00.jpg

Well I didn't watch those 2 games, therefore I've never seen Judd do it either.:rolleyes:

If you take the time to watch Geelong games, you'll see Ablett has done it and more.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

i know it's probably abit off the subject, but if i was chosing my best 22 from the AFL i would personally pick roughie ahead of buddy, purely because of his build. he knows the best way to use it and can position himself well.
but BEST player in the AFL i would definetley say ablett, i never realised until the grand final what a stand out player he can be even when his team is 5 goals down. Hodgey and Brown would also be up there for me simply because of their toughness and desperation for the ball.:)

funny stuff.

Ablett 07, 08 >>>>>>> Judd ever.

You're right... that is funny stuff.

Chris Judd at his best was arguably the greatest player in the history of the game. Remember the hype when he was on fire? The constant talk of "Is he the greatest ever"?!

I think we forget just how superb Judd really is.

He is head and shoulder above Ablett and Buddy IMO. He's nearly as good as them when playing injured!

As for seperating Ablett and Buddy?

Easy.

You seperate the elite of the elite through their Grand Final performances.

That's the way it always has been and always will be.

Ablett dominated. Buddy didn't.

End of story.

(ps. Reading that article above about Cotchin made it hard to type with such a sticky keyboard, so excuse any spelling mistakes :eek:)

Daniel kerr at his best than Chris Judd than then Buddy than probably bix cox..... I would say ablett but.... he hardly gets the hardball an always gives the cheap one two handball to get his stats up he looks all flashy running past these players..... it reminds me of A player on my team I'm like the kerr(not as good as him) getting the hardball and hes like ablett getting the cheap possys yet I won the b&f:D:D:D

1. He's good but it's true he doesn't get the hard ball like Judd does.
2. Ablett 07,08 has been brilliant but not that much better than Judd's best.
3. Franklin's best is better than Ablett's best no question.

But yes, Ablett is the best player in the league jut not as good as Geelong fans think.

Two people who obviously have never seen Geelong play, or if they have, they missed the game this season against Sydney when he got 35 possessions, 17 of them contested. But yeah, I guess he never wins the hard ball. :rolleyes:

Sydney in rd.5 Ablett got 3 goals, 19 possessions - 15 of those contested, and about 9 clearances all in the 2nd half.
Also Against Nth.Melbourne they were hailing his 39 possessions & 3 goal game as one of the greatest individual performances of the modern era.

Most of those possessions Ablett got in the 2nd half against Sydney were actually in the last quarter, after the Swans had got back to within a kick. We ended up winning by 7 goals, mostly on the back of some Ablett magic.

If I could pick anyone to play for Essendon next year, I'd probably be tossing up between Ablett, Pavlich, Riewoldt and Franklin. Pavlich and Riewoldt haven't been talked about nearly as much as they should have been in this discussion. Riewoldt's last half of the season was second to none and he's done it year after year in a crappy club. Pavlich the same, and add to that - he is able to play anywhere on the ground.

Pav just may be the best player in the comp if you ask me!!!

Would probably have to go with Gary Ablett Jnr, just the complete player who stands up in the big games when it counts. Franklin is talented but still isn't the finished article and went missing in some of the big games this year, ie. the prelim final when Hudghton owned him.

Other contenders for best player would be Riewoldt, J.Brown, Pavlich, Hodge and Judd.

Remove this Banner Ad

Who Really is the best player in the AFL

Remove this Banner Ad

Back