Coach Who should be our next coach?

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
15/8 Board toppled (reportedly will pursue Clarkson)
19/8 Alastair Clarkson to join North
21/8 Ben Rutten sacked
22/8 Coach selection sub-committee to be established to find a replacement
26/8 Committee members announced: Josh Mahoney (GM-Footy, chair), Dorothy Hisgrove (Board member), Andrew Thorburn, Simone McKinnis, Robert Walls, Jordan Lewis
7/9 James Hird, Dean Solomon, Brendon Lade, Adem Yze interviewed at EY
13/9 Daniel Giansiracusa reportedly interviewed
17/9 Don Pyke “not pursuing that at this stage”
21/9 Brad Scott contacted by the club but won’t make a decision on whether to pursue the role until after the Grand Final
21/9 Adem Yze has second interview and tours the training facilities at Tullamarine
22/9 Blake Caracella will put his hat in the ring
27/9 Brendon Lade appointed as assistant coach at the Western Bulldogs, out of the running for Essendon job
28/9 Brad Scott to be interviewed on Thursday
29/9

Last edited:
As outsider a panel as possible...to make sure when Hird is hired it doesn't at least appear as a job for mates situation.

I wouldn't of minded Lewis as a development coach. Him on the panel is fine. Walls is seemingly odd but as long as this is a proper process, all good.

Robert Walls believe it or not was an Essendon supporter as a kid. It was playing for Carlton when an Essendon supporter spat on him he changed his attitude towards this club.
He has coached a few teams that have been on rock bottom.
He most definitely will not put Hird as a preferred candidate. It feels like he has been asked to participate to literally counter-act Sheedy.

That’s a good thing.

Robert Walls.

What planet are we on here
Even by our standards, surely one of the most bizarre appointments made by an AFL organization. The only glass a tiny bit full take on it is that it surely shows Sheedy has little or no influence on the coaching appointment. As far as I read it, much of Wall's hostility to EFC arose from Walls' hatred of Richmond in genral and Sheeds in particular which transferred to us when he came to coach us.

I don't mind this from Ross... a few of our players could benefit from this type of coaching.

Why Ross Lyon benched Freo defender for months after a scratch match gaffe

“I was playing on Tom Lynch, Adelaide were coming out of their D50 and Tom Lynch led to the open side for an exit kick and I didn’t stop it.

“When we came back to Perth, Ross got me in and he showed me the vision and Tom Lynch must have trained at St Kilda initially when Ross was there and he goes ‘mate, Tom Lynch couldn’t run out of sight in a week, I could catch up with him. If you can’t stop that, there’s only two things happening, he’s better than you or you’re not trying’. And he goes: ‘I think you’re not trying’.

“So I was in there with Chris Bond, Ross Lyon, Jason Weber who was a sports scientist at the time, Simon Lloyd and Ross goes, ‘You’re done, you’re not going to play’.
this a days ago discussion, but just on this, you can literally tell the story from the other side. Like, a knock on Lyon is young players right? Well here he is setting a standard because he doesn't rate a young player on the other side that he used to coach. Problem is, Tom Lynch went on to be a great player for the Crows after Ross got nothing out of him and and part of Lynch's great work was basically taking the marks talked about in this article, right?

I'm for Lyon as a coach, for the record, but I also can't see how we can hire him. For a club that went into that whole thing due to letting in bad eggs, how we can we knowingly let in Ross "NDA" Lyon?

If Ross Lyon is actually serious about coaching and willing to be interview I am all for him. I think he has enough credit to not have to do the whole process but he still has to sit down and present his plan. If not then he is not really serious about the job.

this a days ago discussion, but just on this, you can literally tell the story from the other side. Like, a knock on Lyon is young players right? Well here he is setting a standard because he doesn't rate a young player on the other side that he used to coach. Problem is, Tom Lynch went on to be a great player for the Crows after Ross got nothing out of him and and part of Lynch's great work was basically taking the marks talked about in this article, right?

Lynch was only there for three years, he played 6 games in his third, but his time and role happened to cross over with the best running CHF the game has ever seen, while the side was contending. Any well run side in the same position would have done the same. His career later on shows if anything it was a good move to develop him in the seconds. He also only played 6 games in his first year with the Crows.

Meanwhile Lyon was giving decent games to Armitage, Stevens, McEvoy, Stanley, Geary, Cripps, Siposs at 18-20 years old.

The last three years Geelong have played only 2 players the year after they were drafted, so in comparison Lyon was running a veritable nursery.

While you'd want better communication, the fact Ibbotson went on to have career best average numbers that year says something about the effectiveness of the message.

Even by our standards, surely one of the most bizarre appointments made by an AFL organization. The only glass a tiny bit full take on it is that it surely shows Sheedy has little or no influence on the coaching appointment. As far as I read it, much of Wall's hostility to EFC arose from Walls' hatred of Richmond in genral and Sheeds in particular which transferred to us when he came to coach us.
Plus the fact he got spat on by our supporters when he got stretchered off at Windy Hill one time :)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

All true and to add to this years ago on talking footy, sheedy called him a sniper and rubbed it in that he had more flags as a coach than walls and a better winning percentage. Walls came back with “well at least I left my comfort zone and had a go at the most poorly run club in history (Brisbane bears)would you ever do this Kevin ?” It was quite a good comeback.

If Ross Lyon is actually serious about coaching and willing to be interview I am all for him. I think he has enough credit to not have to do the whole process but he still has to sit down and present his plan. If not then he is not really serious about the job.

All candidates need to appreciate our recent divisions, cracked culture and failings on multiple levels over many years. Ross may very well be the obvious choice but he needs to follow the process. Its just what this club needs to do for the first time in a long time. He needs to participate for the clubs sake.

Plus the fact he got spat on by our supporters when he got stretchered off at Windy Hill one time :)
Well, i have no doubt that other suburban grounds were not much different back in the mid 70's and onwards when i first started going to the footy, but, Windy Hill was a rather unforgiving place to visit as an opposition player, or fan for that matter. ****, I even saw our own fans getting stuck into each other plenty of times, for no other reason than footy.

Times have changed, but it seems sometimes as if we (all supporters, all clubs) haven't progressed much at all, just changed grounds is all.

Well, i have no doubt that other suburban grounds were not much different back in the mid 70's and onwards when i first started going to the footy, but, Windy Hill was a rather unforgiving place to visit as an opposition player, or fan for that matter. *, I even saw our own fans getting stuck into each other plenty of times, for no other reason than footy.

Times have changed, but it seems sometimes as if we (all supporters, all clubs) haven't progressed much at all, just changed grounds is all.
He only mentioned this when he was commentating on 3AW with Rex and I think Gary Lyon and they asked him why he was hard on the Bombers. He mentioned this story and then he said he hated them ever since :laughing:. I don't think he really hates us but they all got a good laugh about it. It was probably around the time when he and Sheedy went head to head on talking footy.

Well, i have no doubt that other suburban grounds were not much different back in the mid 70's and onwards when i first started going to the footy, but, Windy Hill was a rather unforgiving place to visit as an opposition player, or fan for that matter. *, I even saw our own fans getting stuck into each other plenty of times, for no other reason than footy.

I remember those times at windyhill when I went there with my dad, I miss them. But on the plus side, we can still observe our fans getting stuck into each other. It now just takes place mostly on here :)

Robert Walls believe it or not was an Essendon supporter as a kid. It was playing for Carlton when an Essendon supporter spat on him he changed his attitude towards this club.
He has coached a few teams that have been on rock bottom.
He most definitely will not put Hird as a preferred candidate. It feels like he has been asked to participate to literally counter-act Sheedy.

That’s a good thing.
If Walls is doing his job properly he shouldn't go in with any bias against Hird. Not saying I want Hird, but the process has to be transparent and void of any bias to be proper. Otherwise it is just a smokescreen and will fail again.

We need to pick the best candidate this time, whoever that may be.

All this talk of Hird, Lyon etc, has anyone actually applied yet? Or do we go out asking people if they’re interested?
Well, I'm interested, yet nobody has asked me. 6 years coaching football. They never specified age groups, just experience.

I will work for 20% of Trucks wage, cash in hand of course.😉 A fair few of the kids I coached would rather play in the sand covering the cricket pitch than play football.

Can't be any worse than what we have running around now, can it?

Thank goodness we got Robert Walls - His knowledge of the modern game & how clubs should be run is second to none.................if this was 1990 and we're beating up players at training.......

I refuse to believe Warwick Capper was not available!
I think it’s why it’s a panel and not a singular person making the decision. I think the diversity of the panel is theoretically a very good plan.

Besides, Walls was a coach that set standards and it’s exactly what our football club needs in a coach right now given how devoid we are of on field leaders.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back