• Naita

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Rich

• Other

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Someone get me an oxygen tent.....this draft debate is becoming too much for me.

Its a really exciting time of year. Being totally honest, I'm moving away from Watts a bit. A good player, no doubt, but he just doesn't scream #1 pick to me. Rich does, as he has a bit of presence, a raking/accurate left foot kick and has the ability to win the ball. Nait does too, he has this never-before-seen athleticism and is hard at the ball. Sure, he could end up being a Milicic, but one thing in his favour is work ethic, a lot of those athletic types fail due to this, but he has it. Add into the equation there are a couple of other talented KPF players in the draft (although not as complete as Watts), I'm starting to alter my wishlist.

So, from my current viewpoint, we should roll with one of the WA boys.

Someone get me an oxygen tent.....this draft debate is becoming too much for me.

Its a really exciting time of year. Being totally honest, I'm moving away from Watts a bit. A good player, no doubt, but he just doesn't scream #1 pick to me. Rich does, as he has a bit of presence, a raking/accurate left foot kick and has the ability to win the ball. Nait does too, he has this never-before-seen athleticism and is hard at the ball. Sure, he could end up being a Milicic, but one thing in his favour is work ethic, a lot of those athletic types fail due to this, but he has it. Add into the equation there are a couple of other talented KPF players in the draft (although not as complete as Watts), I'm starting to alter my wishlist.

So, from my current viewpoint, we should roll with one of the WA boys.
totally agree with u beasts,i would cream my jocks if we got naita or rich (figure of speech fellas)
We were the worst side this year however we are not as bad as everyone suggests we are.
Barring injuries and some of our middle string players find form we are just as good as any side in the bottom half of the 8 right now..
throw in rich or naita and we are about 4 good players from being a powerside again

R 23 – 7 kicks; 2 marks; 1 goal; 11 hit outs
R 22 – 3 kicks; 2 marks; 1 goal; 15 hit outs
R 21 – 7 kicks; 1 mark; 1 goal; 15 hit outs
R 20 – 6 kicks; 1 mark; 1 goal; 16 hit outs
R 19 – 4 kicks; 3 marks; 18 hit outs

Maybe not less than 2 marks a game. Damn I'm all over the shop.

Thanks for stealing my post Eddie Mabo. Perhaps next time you should use it as a quote, and not totally rip off my stats?

The thing with the draft to keep in mind is that Rich is the only player with a realistic chance of making any impact next year. If we take NN or Watts, they are a good 2 years away from AFL level. Of the three, Rich is the only one who could look at getting a game next year.

My question to those who back NN is this. As a club do we have the support and infrastructure to develop such a talent? With White gone we have no experianced ruckman to learn from. And our use of the football the last two years has been appalling at best. Who is going to teach him how to play football?

Thanks for stealing my post Eddie Mabo. Perhaps next time you should use it as a quote, and not totally rip off my stats?

The thing with the draft to keep in mind is that Rich is the only player with a realistic chance of making any impact next year. If we take NN or Watts, they are a good 2 years away from AFL level. Of the three, Rich is the only one who could look at getting a game next year.

My question to those who back NN is this. As a club to we have the support and infrastructure to develop such a talent? With White gone we have no experianced ruckman to learn from. And our use of the football the last two years has been appalling at best. Who is going to teach him how to play football?

There is nothing to stop NN from playing next year, he is reasonably developed for his age, true his shoulders could fill out a lot more, but he is a lot more developed than say, a Cale Morton, or a juice newton for that matter, and could play the same roll as either of them in the team.

As for learning where to move, I suggest he gets tied to Cale Morton with a rope and is told to follow him wherever he goes, because Morton is possibly the smartest player at the club in terms of knowing where to be and where to go.

My question to those who back NN is this. As a club to we have the support and infrastructure to develop such a talent? With White gone we have no experianced ruckman to learn from. And our use of the football the last two years has been appalling at best. Who is going to teach him how to play football?

First of all he already knows how to play football, hence the reason he is in the WAFL and the reason he is expected to be a top 3 pick. And I'm sure the coaching staff will be able to help him out in the rucking and on-field department. Don't quote me, but i think thats what they get paid for...

Go watch that video going around on the Drafts and Trading board.

Marking is one thing that Naitanui has down to a T. His vertical leap is incredible.

I watched the Video and saw him twice. Hardly compelling. He took one mark, jumped for a second and dropped it, and at one stage seemed to me playing at full back.

Hey, I'm happy to be proven wrong about him, but I think he's not worth a no. 1 pick.

As for the other's who claim he could play next year. Go and read anything from any of the AFL recruiters. He is 2 - 3 years away from making any sort of AFL impact. If you want a player to run around in the midfield next year with Morton, pick Rich!

My question to those who back NN is this. As a club do we have the support and infrastructure to develop such a talent? With White gone we have no experianced ruckman to learn from. And our use of the football the last two years has been appalling at best. Who is going to teach him how to play football?

I watched the Video and saw him twice. Hardly compelling. He took one mark, jumped for a second and dropped it, and at one stage seemed to me playing at full back.

Hey, I'm happy to be proven wrong about him, but I think he's not worth a no. 1 pick.

As for the other's who claim he could play next year. Go and read anything from any of the AFL recruiters. He is 2 - 3 years away from making any sort of AFL impact. If you want a player to run around in the midfield next year with Morton, pick Rich!

2 to 3 years???

Thats fine, When do you think MFC will be pushing for the finals afterburner? id say about 3 years...

2 to 3 years???

Thats fine, When do you think MFC will be pushing for the finals afterburner? id say about 3 years...

I think 3 years is reasonable. I still think in three years time a marking, goal kicking CHF is more valuable than a ruckman, but as I said I'm happy to be proven wrong.

I'm still waiting for you to show me where these records are that NN is SMASHING? Please send me some directions so I can find......

Anyway, it seems a moot point. 84% of respondends to the original poll would rather have someone other than NN.

haha...

Those records are coming mate, November Draft camp, guarenteed!

Obviously i want to pick up Naita and wouldnt mind Rich. But i dont rate Watts like everyone else.

So who do you want?

I think if you evaluate the players on where they're at at what they've shown I think the 'best available' is Rich. He can slot into the side and push for Rising Star next year. I think he is the class we are missing from our midfield.

For Melbourne to move forward, we need a strong forward line. Neitz is gone, Robbo is on his last legs, Newton has shown nothing, Millar tries hard but is not and will not become elite, and the rest of our forward line pinch hit at best. This is where the biggest hole exists for the MFC and is the place to be filled. Watts is the man for me then.

I also have doubts over ruckman as high draft pick. Few is any turn out to be a success. Rucks are more of a lottery than any other position on the field. Would I take NN? Yeah, but not with pick 1. I think he may end up going anywhere up to pick 6 or 7. If he was around for our PP I'd take him.

The killer for me as far as taking NN high is if (hypothetically) last year had resulted in only four wins and not five, I'd take Watts and Rich as 1 & 2. For me, that's the best of both worlds.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think if you evaluate the players on where they're at at what they've shown I think the 'best available' is Rich. He can slot into the side and push for Rising Star next year. I think he is the class we are missing from our midfield.

For Melbourne to move forward, we need a strong forward line. Neitz is gone, Robbo is on his last legs, Newton has shown nothing, Millar tries hard but is not and will not become elite, and the rest of our forward line pinch hit at best. This is where the biggest hole exists for the MFC and is the place to be filled. Watts is the man for me then.

I also have doubts over ruckman as high draft pick. Few is any turn out to be a success. Rucks are more of a lottery than any other position on the field. Would I take NN? Yeah, but not with pick 1. I think he may end up going anywhere up to pick 6 or 7. If he was around for our PP I'd take him.

The killer for me as far as taking NN high is if (hypothetically) last year had resulted in only four wins and not five, I'd take Watts and Rich as 1 & 2. For me, that's the best of both worlds.

Fair answer..

But who says NN couldn't be the next Buddy? Why cant he be trained in to a forward?

He has the hight, speed, agility and leap to be a forward.

F Wonna, Naitanui, Robertson
HF Sylvia, Miller, Grimes

I'm starting to swing towards Rich as long as there's a plan B for our forward line. We seem to be getting the backline right, but with Robbo all but done as a major player and Miller destined to be solid we can't afford to neglect the forward line. At least need to throw a few big bodies down there.

I think Rich is the best available in the draft and worthy of the number 1 pick. I agree with Supermercado, to take Rich we need a plan for our forward line going forward and maybe it is to trade for a player.

Richskee, there is nothing to stop us developing NN as a forward, but if you want a forward, why not pick the natural forward in Watts. He already knows how to play the role.

Fair answer..

But who says NN couldn't be the next Buddy? Why cant he be trained in to a forward?

He has the hight, speed, agility and leap to be a forward.

F Wonna, Naitanui, Robertson
HF Sylvia, Miller, Grimes

Watts also has all those things, plus awesome overhead marking, football smarts(timeing his lead, positioning. ect..) and he can kick set shots from outside 50. And Watts is also a very confident player who always backs himself wich is very important for a forward(IMO).

Why should we take Naitanui and try and turn him into something that Watts already is??

Watts is the highest rated KP forward to come through the draft in a long, long time. And it just so happens that our biggest need is for a KP forward. It just makes sence...

I want us to take Watts but i would be very happy with any of the three.

I also think we should try and get paul Cahill, If he gets his kicking right he'll be a major goal kicker...:thumbsu:

enough is enough..
I've been roaming these boards for a fair time now, but I've had enough with this "Jack Watts is number 1" crap.

My son is in year 12 this year, and plays for Brighton Grammar too. All I can say is that, from what I've seen, Jack is a big bodied kid in a school boy competition. I have been affiliated with the school for many years (I went there myself!) and time and again I have seen these mature bodied boys come through the school and dominate, but to go on and play with others and be nothing more than another good player.

Jack has always been a big kid, but he's been like that for years. Watching him play a few weekends ago, he was stationed at full forward for the whole game, on a kid that was about 20kg overwieght and wearing a helmut. Jack kicked two goals in that game, but hardly dominated his opponent.
From my observations, the boy has had it easy, due to his physical size and strength, but now as everyone catches up he is becoming less and less of a stand out.

What really concerns me, is that Melbourne needs a passionate and committed pickup.
This is where my problem lies.
Jack Watts has for too long found the game "easy". Come watch a game of his and you can tell he's "above the other players".
This is all fine and good when you can dominate, but that attitude will not carry over in to the tougher leagues.
His work rate at the Nab u18 cup was ok, but go watch a normal game of his and it isn't even close to that. Maybe it was the tv cameras, I'm not sure, but if we are to pick him, I would want to be assured he is 100% committed, as at present, handing everything to him a silver platter isn't doing him any favours.

People here are talking about not taking risks.

I've seen enough of Jack to say that him being considered as a number 1 draft pick is one huge risk.

Interesting ptrg. I wholeheartedly agree that Watts is a major risk, perhaps a risk too big for the prized number 1 pick. Rich and Naita have proven themselves to be assets among the big boys in the WAFL. Watts has proven schquat in that regard.

Yeah, I understand what you're saying ptrg. I remember Tom Hawkins destroying all comers when he was at Melb. Grammar, when you look at him now, that seems a long time ago. The point you make about size is a valid one, plus I don't think Watts seems overly determined either.

Its interesting, I think this aspect makes it really difficult for scouts, and I suppose this is why the National Champs were formed. It is much easier for Watts to pull it together in the APS or in the TAC cup vs. Rich and Nait getting it done against men in the WAFL.

Still, its clear all 3 have talent. Whilst Melb. need forwards, I just don't think Watts is the #1 pick.

JOOI, if Watts nominated but Melbourne hypothetically didn't pick him (and went for Rich or Nicnat instead) what pick do you guys think Watts would be taken at? Are there any other clubs who have been eyeballing him at all?

If Watts nominated but did go to us then i'd say there's a huge chance he'd go to Port, who like us need a ruckman & key forward. If port took someone else (if they took anyone over watts it'd be Vickery assuming Naita was gone) then he wouldn't go past Carlton. They've got a good young backline and great midfield and are only really lacking a CHF.

So if not top 3, wouldn't slide past pick 6.

i have never been a fan of Watts and never will be!! he is overhyped and i dare say it he will not be a dominant forward at afl level!

if we take him it will be nick smith/luke molan all over again!!

the player, however, that we must get is TYRONE VICKERY!!

he is as athletic as ruckman come, albeit excusing naitanui, and he is a proven player in the forward line!

our two major needs at the moment are a KPF and geuine no: 1 ruckman...well he can be part-time both! he can play half a game forward and half a game in the ruck, alternating with someone like PJ and Warnock if we can manage to get him!!

i reckon we then use picks 17 and 19 to snap up lewis johnston or aaron cornelius, and someone like sam blease, mitch robinson, steele sidebottom, david zaharakis etc.

Jack has always been a big kid, but he's been like that for years. Watching him play a few weekends ago, he was stationed at full forward for the whole game, on a kid that was about 20kg overwieght and wearing a helmut. Jack kicked two goals in that game, but hardly dominated his opponent.
From my observations, the boy has had it easy, due to his physical size and strength, but now as everyone catches up he is becoming less and less of a stand out.

The same things were said about Tom Hawkins.

Hawkins hasn't set the world on fire but if Watts turns out the equal of the Tomahawk I'll be ****ing stoked.

Remove this Banner Ad

Who to take with no.1?

Back