Banter Who will be better in 2024? Carlton or Collingwood? Part 2

Banter threads are not to be taken too seriously. Have fun. Let others have fun.

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

AFL.com got it right

AFL.com.au's predicted final ladder*​

1. Sydney
2. Carlton
3. Geelong
4. Brisbane
5. Fremantle
6. Essendon
7. Greater Western Sydney
8. Melbourne

9. Western Bulldogs
10. Hawthorn
11. Gold Coast
12. Port Adelaide
13. Collingwood
14. St Kilda
15. Adelaide
16. North Melbourne
17. West Coast
18. Richmond

* Our eight reporters completed our ladder predictor and picked their expected top eight. Their responses were then tallied and averaged out to get a combined predicted ladder

Hey, Carlton peeps... are you all up to speed with the latest player movement news regarding Jacob Weitering?

Post in thread '21st century Mock Draft' https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/21st-century-mock-draft.1382659/post-84438986

I'm sure you'll be saying that in a few years when the top 10 pick Freo take ends up being a gun and Schultz is still running around like a fat plodder and your team is down in the doldrums 😂
I have been saying that for 30 years, there are 22 players in a team, 1 random player very rarely makes any difference in winning premierships, unless his initials are ND or DM

Our recruiting team is borderline f**king embarrassing.
Some of the pick swaps and trading over the past few years has been very poor.

As our team nailed it last year and everything came up roses, the picks leading up to that and plugging holes and filling needs was brilliant.

Unfortunately, that was the outlier and not the norm.

Nick is brilliant, no doubting that and will be one of the very best in the league for many years to come.
He wasn't exactly hiding under a rock though was he?

After him who do we have??
The cupboard is bare.

I am glad and I am extremely grateful of our premiership last year because without that, then this thread would have ended 30 pages ago and had nothing but tumbleweeds and crickets now.
its a team not a player. Good coaching makes up for 10 bad draft picks. We will be fine in the near future, we were written off 3 years ago too for being too old.

its a team not a player. Good coaching makes up for 10 bad draft picks. We will be fine in the near future, we were written off 3 years ago too for being too old.
And now 3 years have past, and Collingwood are now officially the oldest list in the AFL and the results reflect this age demographic

And now 3 years have past, and Collingwood are now officially the oldest list in the AFL and the results reflect this age demographic
Comments like this really do amuse me.

Collingwood are a whole 8 premiership points behind Carlton, courtesy of Carlton having already played the bottom two teams 3 times, with their 4th game against them coming up this weekend. Conversely, Collingwood have played a single game against the same two teams. Not to mention dissentgate against Fremantle in Gather Round.

So Collingwood have a world of hurt ahead of them (as we heard in 2021), whilst Carlton are flying and will contend for the next 5 flags.

Boy oh boy wowee.

Collingwood are a whole 8 premiership points behind Carlton, courtesy of Carlton having already played the bottom two teams 3 times, with their 4th game against them coming up this weekend. Conversely, Collingwood have played a single game against the same two teams.
Your analysis focusing on 4 games out of 23 is ridiculous.

Bottom line is Carlton have had a harder draw than the Pies so far and are ahead by 2 wins on the ladder.

These are facts.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Collingwood are a whole 8 premiership points behind Carlton, courtesy of Carlton having already played the bottom two teams 3 times, with their 4th game against them coming up this weekend. Conversely, Collingwood have played a single game against the same two teams. Not to mention dissentgate against Fremantle in Gather Round.

So Collingwood have a world of hurt ahead of them (as we heard in 2021), whilst Carlton are flying and will contend for the next 5 flags.

Boy oh boy wowee.
This time last year Pies were 2 games clear on top. They're 6 wins behind where they were . It's real.

Boy oh boy wowee.
Do you pull out the same rhetoric for Essendon, even though they have played against more bottom 10 sides than anyone else ?
But but but, Collingwood still couldn't beat them lol

Your analysis focusing on 4 games out of 23 is ridiculous.

Bottom line is Carlton have had a harder draw than the Pies so far and are ahead by 2 wins on the ladder.

These are facts.
It's a 'fact' that Carlton have had a harder draw?

Based on the 'table' provided earlier in the thread, where Carlton have apparently only played 1 game against a team that is ranked 17th or 18th, despite having already played 17th placed North Melbourne once and 18th placed Richmond twice?

Do you pull out the same rhetoric for Essendon, even though they have played against more bottom 10 sides than anyone else ?
But but but, Collingwood still couldn't beat them lol
Why are you imaging about what I may or may not say about Essendon in a Carlton/Collingwood thread?

I love your comment 'but, but, but Collingwood still couldn't beat them lol'...

Have Carlton beaten Collingwood this year?

It's a 'fact' that Carlton have had a harder draw?

Based on the 'table' provided earlier in the thread, where Carlton have only played 1 game against a team that is ranked 17th or 18th, despite having already played 17th placed North Melbourne once and 18th placed Richmond twice?
The table I provided takes the team's ladder position at the time not current. You can ignore it if you want.

But by any objective measure of the total fixture we have - whether you go off opposition ladder position at the time, games against current top 8 or top 10 or top 13, games against bottom 8 etc

Find me any sort of metric that looks at the totality of the 18 games so far and shows Carlton having a softer draw than Collingwood.

And not sure what you not having played a team twice yet matters. We play three bottom 6 sides in the last 3 games of the year for the first time. That is after playing the likes of Geelong, Collingwood, Port and GWS twice

The table I provided takes the team's ladder position at the time not current. You can ignore it if you want.

But by any objective measure of the total fixture we have - whether you go off opposition ladder position at the time, games against current top 8 or top 10 or top 13, games against bottom 8 etc

Find me any sort of metric that looks at the totality of the 18 games so far and shows Carlton having a softer draw than Collingwood.

And not sure what you not having played a team twice yet matters. We play three bottom 6 sides in the last 3 games of the year for the first time. That is after playing the likes of Geelong, Collingwood, Port and GWS twice
'Top 13'.

OMFG.

Yes I have seen some move to look at top 13 specifically this year as there are only two wins between 2nd and 13th.

Once again waiting to see the metrics which show Pies have had a harder draw...
To analyse the draw accurately you need to undertake a significant amount of research, which I don't care enough to do.

But that table used for 'evidence' earlier in the thread is absolutely ridiculous, and anyone who understands data can pick a million holes in it, starting with my comment about Carlton's games already played against North and Richmond.

It is also important to consider where and when you play teams. A Simple example - Gold Coast are a very different proposition at home than they are away.

Were teams better of playing Brisbane earlier in the year, or now?

Are teams better off playing Melbourne now (without Gawn and Petracca), or earlier in the year when they were both in the team?

To analyse the draw accurately you need to undertake a significant amount of research, which I don't care enough to do.

But that table used for 'evidence' earlier in the thread is absolutely ridiculous, and anyone who understands data can pick a million holes in it, starting with my comment about Carlton's games already played against North and Richmond.

It is also important to consider where and when you play teams. A Simple example - Gold Coast are a very different proposition at home than they are away.
That isn't a hole once again it is based on ladder positions at the time. If you played Brisbane in the opening 6 weeks it should not be weighted equally to playing them now. Which is why I prefer this system rather than using the current ladder - although yes like any metric it does have limitations.

And also you are acting like we played North when they were 5th. That meaningless difference would not impact the average significantly.

Why are you imaging about what I may or may not say about Essendon in a Carlton/Collingwood thread?

I love your comment 'but, but, but Collingwood still couldn't beat them lol'...

Have Carlton beaten Collingwood this year?
Carlton haven't beaten collingwood this year. You seem to have an issue with the AFL fixtures. I believe Collingwood should get the tougher draw for being the premiers ,yeah ? What is your issue with it in particular ? Should Carlton have a harder fixture perhaps for finishing 3rd or 5th or whatever you want to call it ?
Whinge all you like not going to change anything. I'm sure pies supporters looked at the fixture start of the year and thought they could get some quick kills with StKilda, essendon twice, but is hasn't eventuated. Why ? Not good enough it seems

Whinge all you like not going to change anything. I'm sure pies supporters looked at the fixture start of the year and thought they could get some quick kills with StKilda, essendon twice, but is hasn't eventuated. Why ? Not good enough it seems
I just like looking at the fixture each year and seeing we get two 'quick kills' with Carlton twice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back