Who will be better in 2024? Crows or Port?

Who will be better in 2024?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Port - top 4
Crows - bottom 4

Interesting to see most people picked the Crows to be better this year.
I know Nicks will be blamed but he has shown he can coach, he just needs time and I can see him taking the Crows to finals next year.

Port - top 4
Crows - bottom 4

I know Nicks will be blamed but he has shown he can coach, he just needs time and I can see him taking the Crows to finals next year.

Probs Crows fans.
Their best midfielder is a half back flanker. They were always going to struggle to make ground this year.
The delusion of Crows fans knows no bounds. Port have clearly been the better team for the past few years and will probably be the better team team for the next few years too.
Crows fans are pinning their hopes on a bloke who did his knee and getting another half back flanker from the Gold Coast.

Port - top 4
Crows - bottom 4

"Needs time"

This is his 5th year as coach and has a winning record of 34%, how much more time does a coach need?

Nicks has regularly outcoached Hinkley despite having inferior cattle.
"Needs time"

This is his 5th year as coach and has a winning record of 34%, how much more time does a coach need?
Nicks inherited a raging bin fire, the Crows were always going to finish last in 2020 regardless of who was coaching them.
Since then, Nicks has had the side on a steady upward trajectory and took the Crows to within a whisker of finals last year.

Sure, the Crows have gone backwards this year but this often happens with young teams on the rise eg one step back, two steps forward.
We should see the Crows return to finals next year for the first time since 2017.

So the bar to being an AFL level coach is being able to out coach one specific team?
Nicks has a good record against Voss too.
However,
As I mentioned in my previous post, Nicks inherited a raging bin fire that would have finished last in 2020 regardless of who was coach.

Nicks doesn't have a great record on paper, but you have to take into consideration the circumstances of his tenure such as where the Crows were at when he arrived.
There has been gradual improvement year on year by the Crows under Nicks up until this year, but upward progress isn't always linear.

Remember when Richmond had a bad year under Hardwick and all the Tigers supporters wanted him sacked?
Richmond were routinely mocked and laughed at for keeping a coach who had been there for seven years and zero finals wins.

Fremantle under Longmuir are a more recent example of a young side gradually improving year on year, before having a bad year and then going back to improving eg one step back, two steps forward.
Their fans wanted Longmuir sacked last year too.

However,
As I mentioned in my previous post, Nicks inherited a raging bin fire that would have finished last in 2020 regardless of who was coach.

Nicks doesn't have a great record on paper, but you have to take into consideration the circumstances of his tenure such as where the Crows were at when he arrived.
There has been gradual improvement year on year by the Crows under Nicks up until this year, but upward progress isn't always linear.

Remember when Richmond had a bad year under Hardwick and all the Tigers supporters wanted him sacked?
Richmond were routinely mocked and laughed at for keeping a coach who had been there for seven years and zero finals wins.

Fremantle under Longmuir are a more recent example of a young side gradually improving year on year, before having a bad year and then going back to improving eg one step back, two steps forward.
Hardwick made three consecutive finals series with his first coming in his fourth season. Longmuir made finals in his third season and could still make it this year.

Nicks is tracking the same way as Alan Richardson. Their respective records are remarkably similar when you compare their year by year progressions.

However,

We’ve discussed it until we’re blue in the face on the Crows board. For every Hardwick there’s plenty other coaches who simply weren’t good enough.

The fact that he’s got the wood over two coaches does not counteract the large number of concerns we have.

Would genuinely love to hear from a neutral’s perspective, what do you see in this guy that makes you think he’s a potential premiership coach.

Remove this Banner Ad

Who will be better in 2024? Crows or Port?

Back