Prediction Who will be better in 2025? Carlton or Hawthorn

Who will be better in 2025

• Hawthorn

Votes: 42 62.7%
  • Carlton

Votes: 25 37.3%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

According to DraftGuru, for 2025 Carlton have 8 players rated B+ to A+. Hawthorn have 7

Cripps - A+
McKay - A
Weitering - A
Curnow - A
Walsh - A
Newman - B+
Cerra - B+
DeKoning - B+

Newcombe - A
Sicily - A
Moore - A
Worpel - B+
Day - B+
Breust - B+
D'Ambrosio - B+

If we take these 15 as part of the combined top 30, then we just have to get the next 15 on the list
I would say that Hawks have more B graders than us, and will probably finish above us come seasons end.

According to DraftGuru, for 2025 Carlton have 8 players rated B+ to A+. Hawthorn have 7

Cripps - A+
McKay - A
Weitering - A
Curnow - A
Walsh - A
Newman - B+
Cerra - B+
DeKoning - B+

Newcombe - A
Sicily - A
Moore - A
Worpel - B+
Day - B+
Breust - B+
D'Ambrosio - B+

If we take these 15 as part of the combined top 30, then we just have to get the next 15 on the list

Meek and Scrimshaw in particular are very stiff not to be B+.

That's strange.

You've never made a similar request to Falcon / Cleany when he's regularly commented in the Carlton v. Collingwood thread?

Do you disagree with anything I've posted in this thread?

If so, respond to the specific post instead of playing the poster...
I'm not reading any of your posts in this thread because I've read them all in the Carlton-Collingwood thread.

Cripps - A+
McKay - A
Weitering - A
Curnow - A
Walsh - A
Newman - B+
Cerra - B+
DeKoning - B+

Newcombe - A
Sicily - A
Moore - A
Worpel - B+
Day - B+
Breust - B+
D'Ambrosio - B+

Breust is based on his peak years. He was getting selected as the sub last season and will likely be his last year.

Worpel. Isn't a match winner. Solid footsoldier.

Saad is just as good as D'Ambrosio.

Moore is a other who does his role without much fuss.

I love these discussions. It gives us Eagles fans an understanding (hope) in just how many guns you need (or don't need) to be competitive.

I look at the Hawks side and simply do not see the top end talent other teams have. Especially in the midfield.

Newcombe MSD pick 1 v Cripps
Day v Walsh
Sicily v Weitering
Lewis v Curnow

There are the top 4 and I have Carlton comfortably ahead.

D'Ambrossia v Saad. Even?
"Look beyond the top 6"
Proceeds to literally name 4 of the top 6 in each side

Cripps - A+
McKay - A
Weitering - A
Curnow - A
Walsh - A
Newman - B+
Cerra - B+
DeKoning - B+

Newcombe - A
Sicily - A
Moore - A
Worpel - B+
Day - B+
Breust - B+
D'Ambrosio - B+

And then at the B range according to Draftguru they then have Hawthorn with 15 and Carlton 10

And then at the B range according to Draftguru they then have Hawthorn with 15 and Carlton 10
So even with a completely healthy list they need 5 of

Pick 3
McGovern
Motlop
Cottrell
O.Hollands
Fogarty
Young
Kemp
Cincotta

Blues should be ok with a healthy list

That sounds about right
I would still question their ratings as they have Pittonet as a B while Meek is a C+. They also have Fantasia and Silvagni as B's. Also wouldn't have Jiath and Maginness as B's, Breust obviously isn't a B+ anymore as well

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I would still question their ratings as they have Pittonet as a B while Meek is a C+. They also have Fantasia and Silvagni as B's. Also wouldn't have Jiath and Maginness as B's, Breust obviously isn't a B+ anymore as well
There's always some odd ones with these rating systems. Likely that Pittonets clearance and tap work is highly valued by their system and he's exceptional at both, useless once the ball leaves stoppage though.

Fantasia is shithouse but he delivers the ball inside 50 well so probably more of just a skewed system once again.

Silvagni I'd have in the C+ bracket but he's a good role player so don't think it's too far off the mark.

All of these ratings systems are flawed in some way - similar to Champion Data rankings etc.

Hawks fixture will be interesting. I like the cut of their jib but they won't get as many easy games in 2025. It isn't just about win loss but also fatigue of consistent performance against the big sides.

But you think it’s going to hurt them right?

More than you think it’s going to hurt them.

More than you think, you think, it’s going to hurt them.

Perfect Loop Infinity GIF
I don’t think I’ve ever posted on the main board.

But I just had to acknowledge this post.

I kept reading it in circles in keeping with its delivery

OK, here is the list you've all been waiting for....

I suggested people look beyond a team's top 6 players to make an assessment of list strength.

Top 30 going into 2025 as follows:

1729588259499.png

Notables missing out:
Hawthorn - L. Bruest, C. MacDonald, M. Chol
Carlton - M. McGovern, S. Docherty, Z. Williams

Last edited:
OK, here is the list you've all been waiting for....

I suggested people look beyond a team's top 6 players to make an assessment of list strength.

Top 30 going into 2025 as follows:

View attachment 2149782

Notables missing out:
Hawthorn - L. Bruest, C. MacDonald
Carlton - M. McGovern, S. Docherty, Z. Williams
Macdonald is ahead of both Ginnivan and Watson

Is that your only critique as a Hawthorn supporter who'd know his team better than I do?

Could make it 19/11 in favour of the Hawks, because I'm picking Ginnivan and Watson ahead of E. Hollands every day of the week.
I probably wouldn't have Lewis in there because I am not sure how much he plays next year.
Chol did kick 37 last year while also chopping out in the centre square ruck so would be close to those around the 28th-30th spots

I probably wouldn't have Lewis in there because I am not sure how much he plays next year.
Chol did kick 37 last year while also chopping out in the centre square ruck so would be close to those around the 28th-30th spots
Yeah, he was an interesting one. Based on what we have seen in the past he could be a lot higher, but he needs to get on the park.

Chol for some reason I just can't warm to. Would like to see more consistency from him, and more intensity.

Remove this Banner Ad

Prediction Who will be better in 2025? Carlton or Hawthorn

Back