Prediction Who will be better in 2025? Carlton or Hawthorn

Who will be better in 2025

• Hawthorn

Votes: 54 65.1%
  • Carlton

Votes: 29 34.9%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Just using the word ridiculous doesn't add any weight to a debate.

Newcombe v Reid. Who would you choose? Right now. To lead your midfield?

As I said. Previously when fit Hopper has produced similar levels of impact when getting the opportunity. What is so ridiculous about that?

View attachment 2150208
um. hopper has only a smidge more contested ball (with about the same number of extra turnovers) and every other statistic marginally favors newcombe. I'm really not sure how this can be used to argue hopper is better.

I like Newcombe and especially Day and think they are becoming stars of the competition but over the last two years Walsh has still been the better player. We saw in his 2023 finals series despite significant injuries what impact he has and imo Day/Newcombe have not reached that to date.

Incorrect. Particularly in regard to Newcombe.

Just list what team you believe Newcombe would be the #1 mid at. Simple.

We are comparing the Hawks best mid to other teams best mid. Not how a Hawks player compared at a B&F competing against his own teammates. Not relevant.

Being a decent player compared to your own teammates doesn't win football games or flags does it? You need to be better than your opposition. I'm pretty sure I understand that quite well enough.

Maybe take a look at how he performed against all comers in the back half of tje season and in finals.

You’ll find the answer there with an exclamation point attached to it.

I'm happy for people to not rate the Hawks side. Even in the 3 peat era not many people put Hodge/Mitchell etc in the top tier of players more like a tier below but hey, they got the job done.
So true 👍 and it’s happening again. All this player comparison of who’s A, B, C is fun for many on BF. Hawthorn players that play their role well are judged harshly ….. but not by our coaches and supporters! Internally at Hawthorn players are rated by our theme song:

“Team work is the thing that talks,

One for all and all for one

Is the way we play at Hawthorn.”

Will be interesting to see whether the young Hawks have gotten ahead of themselves and assume things will get even better. Would be good to see what happens if they start poorly again, that'll be the true test. Not sure all this talk of them punching into the top 4 is as certain as some believe.

Will be interesting to see whether the young Hawks have gotten ahead of themselves and assume things will get even better. Would be good to see what happens if they start poorly again, that'll be the true test. Not sure all this talk of them punching into the top 4 is as certain as some believe.
Nothing is ever a certainty. To achieve top 4 takes hard work and resilience. The season is long and a teams depth is inevitably tested. We start the same as last year we won't make top 4. You have to bank the wins early.

Team is young the loss to PA will burn over the off season. We will play Geelong on Easter Monday by that stage we should know how we r going to go. This year we were winless

Last edited:
Ladies and gentleman, we have an early clubhouse leader on the contributions board. Not shocked by it either
Let him go mate as long as the Hawk posters don't get sucked into his trolling.

Ladies and gentleman, we have an early clubhouse leader on the contributions board. Not shocked by it either

Would be interesting to see how the neutrals see it. Given how noisy and desperate for attention Blues supporters seem to be (competing with Tigers supporters) I thought Carlton would be well ahead.

Way too hard to tell two sides with different formlines.

Carlton had a dreadful end to the year but they lost their no1 important player in my book and I know Carlton fans will come at me for saying this, but the one bloke they could not afford to lose was TDK, they could cover Cripps, etc, not the ruck, not when the alternative was Pittonet! People have to remember just how good they were in the first 15 rounds too.

Hawks the complete opposite ended like a steam train have traded guys in, but now cop a harder draw than they had last season.

If I had to pick one I'd pick Carlton to be marginally in front next season but it's more on a gut feel than anything, they do however need to fix this small forward fiaco issue, if Zac Williams is your best one that is a huge red flag

Way too hard to tell two sides with different formlines.

Carlton had a dreadful end to the year but they lost their no1 important player in my book and I know Carlton fans will come at me for saying this, but the one bloke they could not afford to lose was TDK, they could cover Cripps, etc, not the ruck, not when the alternative was Pittonet! People have to remember just how good they were in the first 15 rounds too.

Hawks the complete opposite ended like a steam train have traded guys in, but now cop a harder draw than they had last season.

If I had to pick one I'd pick Carlton to be marginally in front next season but it's more on a gut feel than anything, they do however need to fix this small forward fiaco issue, if Zac Williams is your best one that is a huge red flag
Agree with Zac Williams. Was kinda hoping he was given a handshake but not to be. If form is anything to go by, we will be lucky to get a handful of games out of him.
Motlop needs a good run at it. Looked like his confidence was shot after returning from injury. If he can get that back, then there's the small forward problem fixed in my opinion.
Spot on with TDK - could become the premier ruckman in the comp within next 2 years

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Agree with Zac Williams. Was kinda hoping he was given a handshake but not to be. If form is anything to go by, we will be lucky to get a handful of games out of him.
Motlop needs a good run at it. Looked like his confidence was shot after returning from injury. If he can get that back, then there's the small forward problem fixed in my opinion.
Spot on with TDK - could become the premier ruckman in the comp within next 2 years

I expected Carlton fans to hate me when I said that about TDK! Purely and simply we saw how bad it was after the injury.

I'll throw Moir in tehre too, personally those two, and maybe Williams as a pseudo medium is the right structure, not sure on Zac. Liked what I saw from Moir late last year from you guys too

I expected Carlton fans to hate me when I said that about TDK! Purely and simply we saw how bad it was after the injury.

I'll throw Moir in tehre too, personally those two, and maybe Williams as a pseudo medium is the right structure, not sure on Zac. Liked what I saw from Moir late last year from you guys too
I'd still have Weitering as our most important player. Agree TDK is massively important but the drop off from Weitering to our next string KPDs is bigger than TDK to Pittonet imo

Moir needs to build his engine up a bit, but the signs are encouraging. Williams is a softy - broken finger nail and he substitutes himself.

I'd still have Weitering as our most important player. Agree TDK is massively important but the drop off from Weitering to our next string KPDs is bigger than TDK to Pittonet imo

Fair they'd be 1 and 2, either or. It's not Cripps or Curnow that was half my point. TDK is so critical to your best form last year

I'll throw Moir in tehre too, personally those two, and maybe Williams as a pseudo medium is the right structure, not sure on Zac. Liked what I saw from Moir late last year from you guys to
I am not sure they are capable of covering Cripps he is captain and their most important player imo

Moir needs to build his engine up a bit, but the signs are encouraging. Williams is a softy - broken finger nail and he substitutes himself.

Would Moir be any worse than whatever Owies/Williams produced? The bar isn't set high and yep agree on Zac and his 'softness'

I don't think Moir currently has the aerobic capacity to chase out of the forward line. One day, one day

Attempting to chase is more than Zac does anyway could play that second small role.

Our draw won't have any impact on our prospects heading into 2025.

We had the second hardest draw (according to Champion Data) going into 2024, despite finishing 16th the year prior.

Seasons evolve differently, and teams once perceived to be difficult match-ups become easier ones and vice versa.

Our draw won't have any impact on our prospects heading into 2025.

We had the second hardest draw (according to Champion Data) going into 2024, despite finishing 16th the year prior.

Seasons evolve differently, and teams once perceived to be difficult match-ups become easier ones and vice versa.

We will see teams get a whole off season to work sides out, generally I'd take the side that's been up there consecutive years, it's not by much though. Hawks are still a very young side in the coalface, Day and Newcombe are guns but they are young.

Remove this Banner Ad

Prediction Who will be better in 2025? Carlton or Hawthorn

Back