Who will be better in 2025 - Geelong or Hawthorn?

Who will be better in 2025?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

The differences between the two teams are overblown. Geelong had 6 players under 23. Hawthorn had 7. Both showed enough form to win a flag but both lost close finals after not their best performances.

Both teams had players they expect to be guns missing (Day and De Koning).

Both teams have early draftees to come in to the side that they rate highly and expect to become good players (McKenzie, Clark and O'Sullivan).

The potential range for both teams is incredibly wide next year. I wouldn't be that surprised if either won the flag. But I also wouldn't be at all surprised if either miss finals.

The excuses being reeled out, the backtracking, the doublespeak, the leaps of logic etc emanating from salty cat fans right now are simply delicious.

It’s impossible not to laugh.
full

If Geelong consistently clings to a top two spot, as Sydney did in 2024, they will have had better than expected year.

If Hawthorn falls outside that 3 to 14 band, it is likely to be on the lower side, but they will also be seen to have underachieved.
Even with the context of a group of teams being bunched 3-14, this perspective allows for Hawthorn to tumble down the ladder and still meet expectations whilst if the Cats don’t finish 1 or 2, they’ve underachieved. Curious logic.

Even with the context of a group of teams being bunched 3-14, this perspective allows for Hawthorn to tumble down the ladder and still meet expectations whilst if the Cats don’t finish 1 or 2, they’ve underachieved. Curious logic.
You need to check your own logic. How is the opposite of having a better than expected year underachieving?

Just to be clear, I expect there will be a bunch of clubs with a similar number of wins placed 3 to 14.

I expect both Geelong and Hawthorn to be in that mix somewhere.

Remove this Banner Ad

Who will be better in 2025 - Geelong or Hawthorn?

Back