Who will be better in 2025 - Geelong or Hawthorn?

Who will be better in 2025?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

I will be genuinely curious to see how Hawthorn go next season.

Will have a tougher draw and will probably be the 'hunted' rather than the hunters, but on the other hand will have had finals experience under their belt and the confidence they can push deep in September.
I don't buy the tougher draw. Double ups were Geelong, GWS, Collingwood, Adelaide, Richmond and North.
On last year's that was a split of 2-2-2. Next year it is likely to be 3-2-1. So the draw will probably give a difference of a game at most

I don't buy the tougher draw. Double ups were Geelong, GWS, Collingwood, Adelaide, Richmond and North.
On last year's that was a split of 2-2-2. Next year it is likely to be 3-2-1. So the draw will probably give a difference of a game at most
My guess would be we will drop a North or Richmond and pick up a double up against Port.

I don't really agree. We really haven't lost many good players under Scott's tenure. The players we've lost haven't really been exposed as plodders; they already were plodders and that's why they weren't wanted by the club. I don't think Sav really looked decent for us. He could clunk a mark at times but was always defensively suspect and didn't seem able to
read the game well. I think we were okay to lose him.

Tim Kelly went from a top 4 club to one that plummetted to the bottom of the comp like a rock, so yeah, he looked better at Geelong. I don't know if you attribute that to any specific system or just that he had a much better side around him. Also, from the moment Geelong drafted him he wanted to get a trade to WCE, so he was playing to impress and to drum up his value. He gets the big money deal from WCE for multiple years, ensuring his and his family's stability, and it's not too surprising the motivation goes down a bit, especially when he knows he's nowhere near a flag with them.
Ratugolea was rated highly by the club, which is why we were reluctant to let him go even when he was uncontracted and wanted out.
Christensen is another who we rated highly and he didn't do much at Brisbane.
Both looked far better when they were with us due to Chris Scott's system.

Kelly may have gone from a top 4 club to bottom 4 club but we saw Judd and Ablett Jr make similar moves, and they both continued to perform at a very high level.
He definitely looked better with us due to Chris Scott's system.

We also see players come to us and look far better in Chris Scott's system compared to their previous clubs.
Henderson, Tuohy, Rohan, Stanley to name a few and I expect to see B Smith and J Martin look far better next year than at their previous clubs.

My guess would be we will drop a North or Richmond and pick up a double up against Port.

What should happen is the AFL should check the list of teams we only play once a season and see which are the longest since we played twice, and schedule those.

But what they will do is meddle to keep Ch 7 and Fox happy and bugger everything else.

Ratugolea was rated highly by the club, which is why we were reluctant to let him go even when he was uncontracted and wanted out.
Christensen is another who we rated highly and he didn't do much at Brisbane.
Both looked far better when they were with us due to Chris Scott's system.

Kelly may have gone from a top 4 club to bottom 4 club but we saw Judd and Ablett Jr make similar moves, and they both continued to perform at a very high level.
He definitely looked better with us due to Chris Scott's system.

We also see players come to us and look far better in Chris Scott's system compared to their previous clubs.
Henderson, Tuohy, Rohan, Stanley to name a few and I expect to see B Smith and J Martin look far better next year than at their previous clubs.

Kelly would still look fantastic in any top four club. Has been excellent in an atrocious team

This thread is going to have some legs I imagine. Should have a poll - how many pages by end of 2025

I think both fan bases have too much respect for the other club to be that confident either way.

Guys like Holmes, Dempsey, De Koning, Henry Newcombe, Day, Weddle, Dear, etc have shown a lot. There's plenty to be excited about and plenty of potential improvement in each side.

This isn't like Richmond fans last year putting their hopes in Jacob Koschitzke, Thomson Dow and Tyler Sonsie.

Feel hawthorn are still 1 mid and a proper KPF short. Lewis is not reliable with both fitness and form in many games he gets pushed out of the contest to easy. Chol is way too inconsistent, and like Lewis is too easily pushed out of a 1 on 1 contest. Sicily can go forward but do we need his elite kicking coming out of defence.

With the midfield, the addition of both B1 & B2 will hopefully release Weddle up the ground to a wing or midfield.

Geelong will always win enough games to make the 8 probably bottom half of the top 8. Hawthorn is most likely in the top half of the bottom 8.

Feel Hawthorn will have a crack at Oscar Allan being an FA or JUH for a 1st round pick.

On SM-S918B using BigFooty.com mobile app

It's the time of year for posters to get their sandwich boards out "Geelong to slide! Too old, too slow! Too young, too inexperienced!"

To the OP, probably Geelong, but the reverse wouldn't surprise me. The Hawks were pretty impressive this year and I can't hate on them because they play footy the right way.
Yet also "how do they manage to keep getting talent! They must be cheating! How come they don't pay B-grade ruckmen $900,000 a year?"

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I've got a lot of respect for Hawthorn - and I think the years of poorly run clubs winning flags for a few years made me appreciate Hawthorn as an organisation.

Hell, they've even made me like Jack Ginnivan!

No matter who finishes where, I know we'll be guaranteed some entertaining footy between the clubs. It's going to be close run.

I've got a lot of respect for Hawthorn - and I think the years of poorly run clubs winning flags for a few years made me appreciate Hawthorn as an organisation.

Hell, they've even made me like Jack Ginnivan!

No matter who finishes where, I know we'll be guaranteed some entertaining footy between the clubs. It's going to be close run.

Yeah canā€™t say the actual tribal hate has ever disappeared but thereā€™s no club I respect more. They tried to squeeze the lemon just as dry as we did, went about it a slightly different way and didnā€™t quite pay off but I respected them for trying and as soon as it didnā€™t work they were back to making it work in the medium term anyway

Remove this Banner Ad

Who will be better in 2025 - Geelong or Hawthorn?

Back