Preview Who will have a breakout year in 2012?

Remove this Banner Ad

Chris_2593

Premiership Player
Sep 18, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
ATP
Sorry if this has been done just wanna get everyone's thoughts on who will have a breakout year? Or maybe not a breakout year who do you think will have a really good year?

Im tipping Caff and Beams to have very good years next year.

Chris Dawes is a player I hope steps it up and has a break out year. If he can be a 40 goal a year full forward and improve his consistency it will be huge for this side.

A more left field pick might be Josh Thomas. I think we need another inside midfielder and I think he might do very well with the attention off that playing in our midfield will bring. If he plays.

I think there is room for a speedy small or medium forward in the side and whoever that player ends up being could be a breakout player. That could be Mooney, Rounds, Caff or Elliot. Very left field those guys but it is a need in the side and an opening could be there.

Have to agree with Q Mod... J Thomas for me if he gets everything right, already showed that when he came back led tackles and possies for most games, just need to stay injury free and get fit...

Others that might take off also are, Seedsman to show something and Beames and Sidebottom to be more consistent.

Have to agree with Q Mod... J Thomas for me if he gets everything right, already showed that when he came back led tackles and possies for most games, just need to stay injury free and get fit...

Others that might take off also are, Seedsman to show something and Beames and Sidebottom to be more consistent.

Seedsman is another who might find a role forward. He is a good finisher and has the pace. I rate his pressure but some seem to question his tackling.

Beams is a player like Thomas who might find a role in the guts and do really well.

I think Alex Fasolo is the name that comes to mind, that will really break into the best 22, if not even higher, and become a vital part of our team.

With Didak getting older, and no Leon as backup for that small/medium forward role behind Krak, we may also actually need Alex to take the next step.

I simply can't see why he won't, he showed towards the end of last year he has the ability, it's just a matter of gaining more possessions and getting more endurance into his already strong body, and I'd say his first full pre season will assist with that.

He may even play small periods in the midfield as the season goes on and general wear and tear starts to eat away at the midfield rotation.

2012 will be Fas's year, well the first of many I expect.:thumbsu:

Doubt Fasolo will get near the midfield next year, look how long Beams and Steele have had to wait on the flanks for their shot. Bucks might be different and look to blood the youngsters a little earlier however with the depth that we have, i can't see it happening. I personally can see him suffering from second year blues especially since Caff and Marty are tipped to be in contention for spots with him.

My tip is Beams to spend the majority of his time in the midfield and flourish.

Is it possible for Marty Clarke to have a breakout season? Beams if he can stay injury free should fire. Sidey could have a big year with an on ball role. Didak won't have a breakout year but I think he'll be back to his old tricks, similar with Jolly. Dawes and Caff can both have good years, not sure on breakout though.

Seedsman & J. Thomas could both play seniors but I don't expect much from them. Rounds and Ugle, who knows. I guess you can't include Witts as he hasn't been with us before.

The one player I really hope has a breakout year is Wood. Keeffe would be handy as well, but Wood is the big one.

I think there was a similar thread recently, but that was who NEEDS to have a breakout year, as opposed to who will (IIRC)

My vote is Nathan Brown ( barring injury) to really establish himself as a big, stong, shut down FB, like Ben Reid did at CHB this year.

Some of the younger guys mentioned above are very talented, but it's hard to see at this stage who'll they'll replace in the 22.

I do agree they'd do very well if given the chance...but it's just getting the chance.
I guess they do open up from time to time with injury and the like.

Plus Bucks may have some preferred younger players like MM did - and they may be surprises, time will tell i guess.

I think there was a similar thread recently, but that was who NEEDS to have a breakout year, as opposed to who will (IIRC)

My vote is Nathan Brown ( barring injury) to really establish himself as a big, stong, shut down FB, like Ben Reid did at CHB this year.

Some of the younger guys mentioned above are very talented, but it's hard to see at this stage who'll they'll replace in the 22.

I do agree they'd do very well if given the chance...but it's just getting the chance.
I guess they do open up from time to time with injury and the like.

Plus Bucks may have some preferred younger players like MM did - and they may be surprises, time will tell i guess.

I really hope we can get a full year out of Nathan Brown this year. Would be great to see.

If Wellers has a great pre-season and finds consistency I think he could demolish some games like he did in the game versus Melbourne last season when we were missing Daisy and Swanny.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Cameron Wood , been on the list now for 3 years? he showed real glimpses at the end of last year [ was a mistake not playing him in GF ahead of a clearly injured jolly ]. He has all the attributes just needs to get a bit more desire and mongrel in his game. Another pre season in the gym should see him about right. the bonus would be we could ease jolly through the year like geelong has done with ottens so succesfully.

Cameron Wood , been on the list now for 3 years? he showed real glimpses at the end of last year [ was a mistake not playing him in GF ahead of a clearly injured jolly ]. He has all the attributes just needs to get a bit more desire and mongrel in his game. Another pre season in the gym should see him about right. the bonus would be we could ease jolly through the year like geelong has done with ottens so succesfully.

We've been waiting every year for Cam Wood to deliver. Chances aren't great but would love to be proven wrong.

However, Jolly was not the problem in the GF. He more than held his own, even playing injured against Ottens.

As for the thread, I think the second-tier midfield band of Sidebottom, Beams and Wellingham are ready to step up to the next level.

We've been waiting every year for Cam Wood to deliver. Chances aren't great but would love to be proven wrong.

However, Jolly was not the problem in the GF. He more than held his own, even playing injured against Ottens.

As for the thread, I think the second-tier midfield band of Sidebottom, Beams and Wellingham are ready to step up to the next level.
Wood is what, 25? thats when ruckman show their best. As for jolly in GF he done nothing around the ground, he got smashed at centre bounce ruck duels and broke even in the ball ups.When the ball hit the ground we were playing 1 man short in my opinion. yes other players didnt play well but your main ruck is a key player and he was well short of his best.
mind u , malthouse not putting tarrant on hawkins when he went to FF was a major mistake, but we all know that except mick:confused:

I reckon Sidebottom and Beams will flourish, especially with Robert Harvey giving them particular focus and teaching them some trade secrets.

Of the young ones, I reckon Young is a sneaky chance but competition for spots in defence is pretty solid. Elliot might be the man, but again, competing with Didak, Fasolo, Blair, Krakouer, Sidebum etc. J Thomas could give Ball some relief as an inside mid, needs to grab opps with both talons.

What is a breakout year? I see it as a year where you go from a nobody (to the rest of the footy world, not CFC fans) to a somebody - not just improving on last year.

Ben Reid at the start of 2010 was a nobody who was barely in our best 22, by the end he was one of the best defenders in a premiership side - thats a breakout year. 2011 he went to AA, more awesome improvement, but not a breakout year.

My nobodies who could be somebodies:

Josh Thomas - has the tools just needs some luck with injuries and an oppurtunity.

Lachlan Keefe - played a few games, but did not overly impress as played out of position. If he gets a chance as a key back due to injuries to others he could do a 2010 Reid.

Paul Seedsman - showing a lot of promise in the twos, not sure he will get a chance maybe look for in 2013.

Jarrod Witts - will make an impression, probably on defenders when he rag dolls them.

Beams was saying on CTV how keen he is to get into the midfield - if he can get 25 touches on a flank I look forward to seeing his numbers if he does get extended time in the middle.

I'd rather not try and predict.

I was convinced Wellingham would almost make AA this year, and outside of that one game against Melbourne, had a shit year.

I aslo thought Dawes would have a big one last year, but injury hurt his chances.

Not sure who will this year. I'll take a stab in the dark...Beams.

i think we'll see one of caff or paine come in and play a third tall role at some point in the season while bucks tinkers with his plans etc (assuming form in the vfl of course). i think we got too cloke focussed and defences really started to pinpoint that as a way we could be exploited. i know this was accentuated by dawes being out for that time but still it is a weakness we'd seek to avoid. after all at the peak of our powers in 2010 we had in excess of 10 goalscorers a game where by comparison at the tail end of this season it was whittled down

other breakout candidates for me include

tom young - kid has some real x factor and tbh didnt deserve to be moved to sub in his second game after a very good performance

alex fasolo - there is a genuine small/medium forward position there with his name on it and i think he'll step up. love him to move up around the half forward line and become a paul chapman like figure roaming around.

dayne beams - his numbers after his injury were really good but i think he should be injected into the midfield properly now. i know theres a lot of able bodies in there but he has something special about him

Im going with a left field candidate Simon Buckley. I can see him playing as a forward shut down player and will kick quite a few goals from outside the 50 this season.

I also see Goldsack with a bit more bulk playing KPB/F working well as a swingman.

Remove this Banner Ad

Preview Who will have a breakout year in 2012?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back